PDA

View Full Version : Spring Arrives.

Dave Schweitzer
03-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Maple Burl and glass finial. HF is 9" x 10" overall height is 19".
Dave Schweitzer

Jim Adkins
03-11-2011, 11:28 PM
WoW, Thats a nice piece. Is the Finial glass....I bet this piece was turned with some
professionally made tools!! Good form, good finish Dave. Thanks for posting.
Jim A.

Dave Schweitzer
03-12-2011, 12:05 AM
Well hello there Jim. Yes it is glass.
Dave.

Ron Stadler
03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Beautiful piece Dave, See your skilled in other areas as well, the glass finial sure gives the piece the Wow factor and the hf is really nice.

Dan Forman
03-12-2011, 4:39 AM
That's exquisite, care to tell us more about the glass? Love the form of the burl.

Baxter Smith
03-12-2011, 4:53 AM
Mesmerizing curve on your HF and beautiful wood too! Very neat leaves as well.

John Keeton
03-12-2011, 7:12 AM
Dave, Jim's subtle hint on your tools was sly!!:cool: While you didn't use any of those neat beading tools you make (and Jim puts to such good use on his basket pieces), I am betting some D-Way tools were used in the turning of this piece!:rolleyes:

The wood and form of this piece are perfect!! But, you have to tell us the rest of the story on the finial. Who did the glass work, and more detailed pics are demanded!;)

More on the finial!!!:D

Michelle Rich
03-12-2011, 7:33 AM
ZOWIE! It's a beauty. I have done stained glass work since pluto was a pup, so I can really appreciate your finial. super work on this

charlie knighton
03-12-2011, 9:54 AM
very nice....

David Reed
03-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Dave:
I'm lovin this piece. Not only is the burl lovely and the form very well balanced with smooth transitions and curves, but the finial is a terrific complement. It gives it a very natural, organic overall appearance to the work.
Dittos on the story behind the glass work please.
David

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Now that's nice! Love the form, the wood and the finish! Your finial is exceptional as well and the fact that it is glass makes it even more so! Looks like it should be on the cover of a major magazine! Thanks for sharing!

bob svoboda
03-12-2011, 10:45 AM
That is truly fantastic!

Michael James
03-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Very beautiful piece and the glass finial puts it in its own league! Thanks for posting!

Curt Fuller
03-12-2011, 11:10 AM
That's just beautiful! I actually had a piece of wood that sprouted a dockweed out of it and it looked very much like that. I wish I had a picture. That's a very creative idea and you're timing is perfect.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
That is a beauty. Really like the form and the finial.

Brian Effinger
03-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Beautiful, flawless piece, Dave, and that finial is wild.

Mark Hubl
03-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Beautiful work. The wood is outstanding. I really like the integration of the glass, the finial is over the top. Nice to see your work here Dave.

Dave Schweitzer
03-12-2011, 1:10 PM
Thanks All, yes there was a lot of my tools used to make this piece. The finial was made by me and a glass blower friend of mine Byran Rubino I think his web site is www.rubinoglass.com (http://www.rubinoglass.com). To make the finial it takes at least five people all the pieces are made separately and then brought together at the end. I have made several molds for him over the years. I have been trying to put the two mediums together for a long time not all have worked. We talk about what I want make and then we try to do it, that process may involve several floor models before we get a keeper. They put in the anielier over night. There is quite a bit of work that has to be done in the cold shop after they are cooled down. Then I try to match the glass with the right piece of wood. I will take a picture from the top to show how it is carved into the hollow form.
Dave.

Wally Dickerman
03-12-2011, 3:11 PM
Looks like some of that Shelton burl. Beautiful piece Dave. Your glass finials are wonderful.

Dave Schweitzer
03-12-2011, 4:56 PM
You are right Wally. don't think they grow much down your way.

Roger Chandler
03-12-2011, 5:45 PM
GEEWHILLICARSWILLIE! That is nice! :D