PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different!

Kelvin Burton
03-11-2011, 8:17 PM
I had this piece of Oak and thought I'd try to make a deep salad bowl - like the imported ones you see in Walmart. Turn out too deep for that, so I re-purposed it as a Planter. Added a base of Osage Orange, knowing it will turn mid to dark brown over time.

Turned it green to final thickness then set it aside to dry in a paper sack for approx. 4 months.

Finish is Watco Teak Oil and 5 or 6 coats of WOP, buffed. 11" tall, 9" diameter.

Comments welcome.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-11-2011, 8:44 PM
Kevin,
That is very unique and a really different looking piece of wood. Walmart wishes they would have such a fine piece.
faust

Richard Madden
03-11-2011, 8:46 PM
Very cool piece, I like it! The spalting combined with the pith makes for an interesting look. Well done.

Greg Just
03-11-2011, 8:48 PM
Kelvin:

I like the bowl but I personally would eliminate the foot. It is a beautiful piece of wood.

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 9:00 PM
Kelvin, the cross cut grain orientation really adds interest to this piece! For my tastes, it does need some lift and the foot does that. Might be a little higher than I would have done, but it works. And, the colors will eventually blend very well.

Nice piece!

Baxter Smith
03-11-2011, 9:21 PM
Great looking planter. Has a lot more character than most you could buy at any price!

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2011, 9:22 PM
Great looking platter and that wood has a lot of character.

Curt Fuller
03-11-2011, 9:51 PM
I really like it. That wood and the way you oriented it is beautiful and the foot adds a little something different to it. Nice work!

Harry Robinette
03-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Kilven
If your going to use it as a planter you should turn a plate to catch the water and put a hole in the bottom.I like it as a candy bowl,like for strawberry Twisler licorice.

Kelvin Burton
03-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Harry,
You must really like licorice, this would hold 10 lbs at least! My wife is talking about putting a saucer in the bottom then putting a potted plant on top. It will be risky with water around wood, but hopefully we won't over water it!
Kelvin

Dan Forman
03-12-2011, 4:47 AM
This truly is something completely different, and quite nice too. A treat to the eye.

dan

Dennis Ford
03-12-2011, 7:29 AM
Rather unusual shape with some beautiful wood. I think the foot makes this piece look good (it will be better once the osage turns a golden brown).

Michelle Rich
03-12-2011, 7:37 AM
I ususally don't like footed bowls, but this one looks good with it..it gets it up and makes the base of the bowl look smaller. I think it's the perfect foot for this huge & tall bowl

David Reed
03-12-2011, 11:07 AM
This is indeed a lovely piece of wood and you did well with the orientation and form. I agree that it benefits from the lift the foot provides and perhaps it is the totally different character and texture of the wood; perhaps the color but the match just doesn't seem to be there for me. Perhaps this will change as the Osage Orange ages. Nice work

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Very interesting design! I know you will have to drill a hole in it for water to escape but am very curious how well the WOP will hold up on the interior of the planter. You'll have to get back to us on that as I really like the idea of a turned planter! Thanks for sharing!

Mark Hubl
03-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Kelvin,

That looks good. Love the wood, it is beautiful. The foot works for me. I am sure any plant would be happy to call it home.

Michael James
03-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Beautiful chunk of oak and an interesting orientation as been noted. Super job on the finish, but the durability factor as a planter is in question. Keep em coming!