PDA

View Full Version : Help! Mounting a small tire on lawn tractor wheel

Michael Weber
03-11-2011, 7:10 PM
I have an old Snapper with a leaky front tire. Took the wheel off the mower and took the tire off the rim to be able to put in an inner tub. Try as I might I cannot get that tire back on the rim. It's a 4.10 x 3.5. Typical for a small Snapper rider. I've googled and watched video's of people doing it but they are using larger tires. Is it the small size that is making it hard? I have used multiple screwdrivers with and without vise grips to hold one side down under the rim with and without soap solution. I've tried standing on it, using Bessey clamps and finally screaming at it in frustration. Hope someone can tell me the secret if there is one or provide pointers. I do have access to an arbor press at work. lol Thanks

Scott T Smith
03-11-2011, 7:58 PM
Typically you want to support the rim so that it will not move, and then soap up both the rim and the bead on the tire. Slip one side of the tire over the rim - BE SURE to get the bead of the tire down into the center of the rim - that's the secret that you're looking for! If you look at the rim closely, you will see that it is a smaller diameter in the middle - that's where you need to get your bead else you cant get the entire tire over the rim.

Some folks install the tube after getting one bead on the rim - others wait until both are on. Personally I prefer to slip the tube in before I mount the second bead. You need to be careful though that your screwdrivers don't puncture your tube.

Hope this helps.

Michael Weber
03-11-2011, 9:56 PM
Thanks Scott. I'll give it another try tomorrow using your suggestion. The rim is so small it's hard to keep it from moving around. Clamped it in my vise but was afraid of deforming it so it wasn't tight enough to keep it from moving. I am worried about messing up the tube with the screwdrivers but I don't think I could put it in such a small rim with both beads on. Thanks again and good luck to the Tar Heels in the NCAAT.

Jim McFarland
03-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Lots of things are DIY but this is one where I take to a local tire shop and pay them $5-10 to fix a flat or install a tube. I usually try for 10 minutes or so before taking it to the pros, though!

Michael Weber
03-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm a compulsive DIY'er lol. Gave it another shot tonight using Scott's tip and managed to get it on.

David G Baker
03-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I do what Jim Mc does. Much cheaper if you end up having to buy a new tube after your screw driver pokes a hole in the one you are replacing. I will try Scott's method next time, makes sense to me. I knew that there had to be a secret.

Rick Moyer
03-12-2011, 7:14 AM
No help for you now but I used Slime last time. Easy way out.

Joe Bradshaw
03-12-2011, 8:32 AM
Michael, if you find a steel rod or bolt that is the same dia. as the hole in the wheel and then clamp it in your vise and slip the wheel over it. This frees up one hand to help get the tire on the rim. As stated above, be sure to push the bead into the center of the wheel.