PDA

View Full Version : First hollow form/urn

philip labre
03-11-2011, 5:55 PM
My mother in-law is in the hospital for the last time and the family asked if I could turn an Urn for her. I've never done a hollow form and don't even own any hollowing tools. So with my limited experience this is the best I could come up with this afternoon. It is a plate glued to a bowl. I"m kind of satisfied with the form but I know the top/finial is HUGE. I used ABS pipe for the threads so I was afraid to get too thin and have it snap when it was screwed on. I need some ideas from more experienced turners as to whether I should slim down the top or if it looks acceptable. I'm sure the family will be happy with it but am unsure if I am. Form is yellow birch burl and top is walnut 7" x 10" with only one coat of WOP so far.

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2011, 6:23 PM
Phil - I am very sorry to hear of the reasons behind this turning and want to offer my shop, my tools, or anything else I can do to help out.

The form on this looks fine to me. Pretty wood and the finial - although somewhat on the large side - still works with the form. The only thing I know about urns is that they have to be a certain size - as far as volume - and other than that, the form is up to you.

Again - my heart and prayers goes out to you and your family during these hard times!

Ron Bontz
03-11-2011, 6:24 PM
I'll let the experts comment on the form but that grain is beautiful. My complements.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2011, 6:39 PM
Really a nice piece. Sorry to hear about your MIL. Our prayers and thoughts are with the family.

Mark Hubl
03-11-2011, 6:43 PM
Philip,

Very sorry to hear why you have been called upon. I think your form looks good. I think the large finial is ok. If anything, a top doesn't always need to be a finial. I think it would look good just as the sphere. Another trick I have seen when joining two parts is to use a design element such as a groove, bead or burn line to add shadow and help to conceal the joint. If you are concerned with size, you can measure your volume by using dry rice. If you google wooden urns or urn size several sites will come up that discuss volume and using rice.

Our prayers for your family in these difficult hours.

philip labre
03-11-2011, 7:18 PM
Thanks for the condolences everyone and Thank you Steve for the generous offer. If my calculations are correct the volume should be ok but I was planning on going into town tomorrow to get some rice. I have 3 different types of rice here and not enough to check. This one is growing on me the more I look at, so if it meets approval from LOML when she gets home I should be ok.

Roger Chandler
03-11-2011, 7:34 PM
Beautiful and purposeful piece. My sincerest condolences to your family. Because of the beautiful wood, and the labor of love you performed here, I think changing it would do a disservice to the noble effort you put forth. It is a lovely piece, but even though the finial is a little large by most accounts, your form on it does work with the form on the urn itself.

Very ingenious use of a bowl and a plate for the top! If you were able to accomplish this with minimal tools, I think with the right tools you could turn some very beautiful things....................blessings to your family at this time.

Richard Madden
03-11-2011, 8:41 PM
Phillip,
I don't know if this was a difficult piece to do, from an emotional standpoint, but I'm sure it will be a rewarding one in time. I think you did a great job. Thoughts and prayers go out to your MIL and the entire family.

Tim Thiebaut
03-11-2011, 8:45 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your MIL, you put a lot of effort into turning this urn and I am sure it is something that will mean a great deal to them, very nice work on this.

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 9:05 PM
Philip, my condolences for you, your wife and family. I wish the best for all of you. You did an excellent job on this piece - good form, and beautiful wood. For the purpose intended, the finial works. The form has good mass, and that supports the heavier finial.

Don Alexander
03-11-2011, 9:26 PM
i think that that piece very definitely reflects the care you so obviously put into it thoughts and prayers are with you and yours at this difficult time

Baxter Smith
03-11-2011, 9:30 PM
My condolences. I think it looks very nice as is.

Harry Robinette
03-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Very nice piece and myself I think the top is fine. The family well love it and you should to, cause you turned it with not just your hands but with your heart. Condolences from Me and my family.

Ron Stadler
03-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Well I think its beautiful for a first, form looks good to me on the hf of my limited knowledge of what they should look like and the finial is really done well but I think everyones gonna want something a little narrower at the bottom an a little taller by what Iv'e been taking in on the critics on these forms, I think what it is that a lot of attention is brought to the round portion of the finial and somewhat distracting but what do I know I'm still a beginner at this stuff, I think their putting voices in my head, otherwise I would have thought this was an exceptional piece.:)

Forgive my ignorance, I am kinda tired and lazy tonight and did'nt feel like reading to much and overlooked your mother-in-law, sorry, well my condolences to you and your family.

Dan Forman
03-12-2011, 4:33 AM
Phillip---I think it's a great honor to be called upon to create such a piece, and you have done well. Condolences to you and yours.

Michelle Rich
03-12-2011, 7:41 AM
It came from your heart. So it's perfect.

David Reed
03-12-2011, 11:00 AM
You did very well with both the form and finish with this piece. The wood is lovely and the finial is well balanced by the form of the urn. No need to feel anything but pride with your work.
I would like to send my sincere condolences as so many of this esteemed group have done. I made an urn for my father when he passed several years ago and considered it an honor that my work, which he was instrumental in fostering, is housing his remains.

Steve Vaughan
03-12-2011, 11:57 AM
Very sorry to hear about the mother-in-law, and you, sir, have been given quite the honor. To be recognized among family to prepare such a piece for such a holy occasion...well, what a complement. It's a beautiful form I think. And the top/finial, I think, is perfect for the piece. The whole thing looks like a very nice form. And, last but not least, great creativity there to create it the way you did!

Rich Aldrich
03-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your mother in law. The urn looks very nice.

Hugh Watling
03-12-2011, 2:52 PM
If the urn is to be placed in a columbarium or niche at a cemetery, you may want to check with the cemetery to make sure the urn will fit. When I made an urn for a relative, I talked to the cemetery about this and they were happy to supply me with dimensions.