PDA

View Full Version : Wall paint

Joe Chritz
03-11-2011, 4:39 PM
I have a bath that I am helping out a little on. The existing wall paint has tiny bubbles where the existing paint did not adhere well to the under coat. I have no reason why that would and have no way to know what kind of paint the under color is.

Any of the painters out there have any suggestions to make it usable for a repaint? I was thinking about running a sander over the entire wall surface to smooth it as best as possible and prime/paint as normal.

I haven't seen anything like it before.

My hope is that the primer and paint will bridge the small pockets without to much trouble. I am trying to get her to pay someone to do a knock down to hide any problems but I think that isn't going to happen.

Joe

Callan Campbell
03-11-2011, 8:17 PM
Talk to a knowledgeable local paint store and try to show them a picture or two of the problem areas. They may just know what's causing your bubbles and save you and the house owner some major grief by avoiding repainting several times to get rid of the problem.

Jim Becker
03-11-2011, 9:36 PM
Joe, I had a similar problem in the room I'm just finishing refinishing, as it were...I suspect that either 1) the previous owner had wall paper removed and proper prep wasn't done afterward or 2) the previous owner used some kind of funky mud when they were fixing cracks in the plaster. I did do some sanding to get "clean" edges on the previous chipped areas of paint, cleaned the surface thoroughly and then used the Sherwin Williams adhesion primer that Jason R. (SMC member and pro painter) recommended to me. Issue fixed. No problem with the ceiling paint adhering in those formerly problem areas and the same on the wall for the BM Aura that I prefer to use on walls.

The moral to the story is that contamination can affect wall paint, too, just as it can reek havoc on the finishing process for our woodworking projects.

Phil Thien
03-11-2011, 10:14 PM
I wonder if spray antiperspirant or hair spray that makes it to the walls could cause adhesion problems.

Jim Becker
03-14-2011, 8:30 PM
I wonder if spray antiperspirant or hair spray that makes it to the walls could cause adhesion problems.

The former maybe...the latter, doubtful.

Phil Thien
03-14-2011, 9:14 PM
The former maybe...the latter, doubtful.

Thank God I don't have to give up my hair spray. :)

marty brown
03-14-2011, 9:39 PM
I wonder if spray antiperspirant or hair spray that makes it to the walls could cause adhesion problems. I`ve seen this a lot in 30 or so years of painting, and it was the first thing I thought of when he said bubbles.