PDA

View Full Version : New tool gloat...

Russell Eaton
03-11-2011, 4:37 PM
I got the T7 and made it home with it yesterday. I have wanted one for a good while. I have sharpened some tools and am in LOVE. It put the best edge I have ever seen on every tool I have sharpened. I am going to keep the wolverine for bulk stock removal but do my finish grind with the wet stone. That's my gloat. Russell

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 4:39 PM
Nice setup, Russell!!! Is that a leather buff on the left?

bob svoboda
03-11-2011, 4:43 PM
Looks good Russell!

Russell Eaton
03-11-2011, 5:18 PM
John, I got the turner package as well and the leather strop comes with that package.

Tony De Masi
03-11-2011, 5:51 PM
And you will keep loving it too. And the more you practice, especially the honing, you will love it even more. Congrats.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2011, 6:41 PM
Great gloat. You are going to love it. I have the same setup and the wolverine. Once you get used to sharpening and buffing your tools will never be the same.

Tim Thiebaut
03-11-2011, 6:45 PM
Very nice! I have seen those at my local Rocklers but have only been able to drool over it. Have fun with your new tool!

Russell Eaton
03-11-2011, 6:57 PM
You know that it is a good tool when it comes with a pack of Tormek BAND AIDS!!! You got to love it.

David DeCristoforo
03-11-2011, 7:27 PM
Nice. For anyone who envies you the leather wheel, take an "extra" faceplate and attach a plywood or (yecch) MDF disk to it. Glue on a piece of cowhide with come contact cement and screw it onto the outboard end of the headstock. Charge it up with fine emery, rouge or whatever and there you have a handy stropping wheel (or should I say "disk") right where you need it for keeping your tools in tip top shape.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-11-2011, 8:53 PM
I've been working on a carving this past week and chose to work at night with a fellow carver. He recently purchased a Tormek 2000 with a leather profile wheel in addition to the stone and flat leather honing wheel. Sharpening and honing has never been such a pleasure. The results are an edge so keen it leaves a shine on the carved surface. It didn't take long to make a believer of me. I've begun the hunt for someone's unwanted Tormek.
faust

Jack Mincey
03-11-2011, 9:59 PM
I wouldn't be without my Tormek. I've been using one at the school shop where I teach and at home for 10 years now and love them. They are slow the first time you sharpen a turning tool, but after that it only takes a few seconds to put a razor edge back on the tool. I still prefer a 8" slow speed grinder for putting a burr on scrapers and grinding my skews. One has to put a scraper on the grinder ever few minutes to get the most out of them while I only hit the skew on the grinder once and a while. I use a diamond hone and the leather wheel on my tormek to bring the skew back to a very keen edge between grinding. The black wheel seems to hold up much better on turning tools if that is your main use.
Happy Turning,
Jack

Rick Markham
03-12-2011, 2:23 AM
My Tormek T7 was the best investment I made for my edged tools, It sure makes quick work of sharpening gouges, and honing them. Darn near idiot proof too. I purchased mine for my handplanes and collection of A2 chisels, since I don't use them much anymore all my turning tools are sharpened on it. If I had the shop space, a high speed grinder would be nice for profiling, but I am patient and can do it on the Tormek. Great gloat!!! Mine was worth every penny I paid for it and more!

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Congrats Russell - nothing better than sharp tools! Enjoy!