PDA

View Full Version : Self Portrait!

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 4:30 PM
About a year ago, while doing some fence repairs during an ice storm, I noticed a large, but diseased, Chinquapin Oak tree with some burls on it. I had not been turning long, but I knew about burls! Every so often, I would think about going out on the ridge and cutting them, but never got around to the task.

A few days ago, I had the chainsaw out and decided to check out the burls. Unfortunately, I was a few years too late. They were rotten from the inside and there was little left of them. I was able to harvest one rather flat burl that was a little punky, but seemed worthy of some effort. I enjoy attempting ogee shapes, so that was the choice here.

The bowl is 7.5" x 1.5". Since it was turned wet, in an effort to slow down the drying, I soaked it in BLO. A couple of days later, I soaked it heavily with WOP. I have a couple of other projects in process, and periodically, I would work on the finish of this bowl.

As expected, it began to change in character. The burl was gnarly, somewhat rough around the edges - and not handsome at all! I had put a rather refined shape to it, dressed it up, finished it nicely, but deep down, it was still a gnarly, rough piece of burl - a few voids here and there, and just not quite what one would call a fine specimen. As time passed, it began to revert to that gnarly character it originally had - notwithstanding my efforts to refine it.

It occurred to me that this bowl was much like me! Over the years, I took on a degree or two, put on some nice clothes, and finished off some of my Eastern KY hillbilly slang. But, as time passed, I find that I am still just a gnarly, rough specimen, with a few voids here and there, notwithstanding my efforts at refinement. I had turned a self-portrait!!

Comments and critique on the bowl are welcome, but I promise to not take them personally - even if it is a self portrait!:D:D

bob svoboda
03-11-2011, 4:41 PM
Nothing wrong with being gnarly and a little rough around the edges-I like that in bowls and in people. Great insight! BTW I do see the resemblance!

Nate Davey
03-11-2011, 4:46 PM
Hopefully you're not also full of holes John. Nice job on a rough piece of wood.

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2011, 4:54 PM
Definitely a bowl that should be on display! Everyone will see something a little different in it that will appeal to them, whether it is the ogee, the voids, color or whatever. Very cool bowl John and one that is sure to generate conversation!

Fred Perreault
03-11-2011, 5:21 PM
Excellent John..... and aren't many of us getting a wee bit like that?

Gary Max
03-11-2011, 5:28 PM
Heck I like being rough around the edges--------like your turning, it keeps life interesting---------:)

Jim Heikes
03-11-2011, 5:37 PM
John

From one gnarly dude to another........I love this piece.................no multiple coats of WAP, WEP, WIP, WOP, or WUP or other gussied-up coatings to interfere with a message directly from nature. BEAUTIFUL

Tony De Masi
03-11-2011, 5:49 PM
No one could have put it in terms like a hillbilly lawyer:D But I actually do like the piece but I'm not sure why.

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2011, 6:43 PM
That is a beautiful piece John. That is just one cool burl.

John Beaver
03-11-2011, 6:58 PM
John,
Self portrait ??? Hmmmm...
You say rough-around-the-edges, full of holes, and gnarly. What about burly with a nice finish?
Unfortunately from your head shot I can't tell if you have an ogee shape or not.

dan carter
03-11-2011, 7:25 PM
There's nothing wrong with smooth and silky, but it seems as I approach things differently as I get older, so I not only tolerate gnarly and rough, tend to gravitate towards it. Don't seem to like punky much, though. Good looking project, glad it came back around to more of your liking.

Roger Chandler
03-11-2011, 7:28 PM
He not only turns wood, he is a country philosopher as well...............something always bugged me about gnarly wood, some things in it you just can't fix.........hummmm.............I think it is okay to embrace the gnarly in the wood, but when it comes to ourselves............maybe we embrace what is not the best of character in ourselves a bit too easily.

John, that is said about humans in general, and not anything about you..............just thoughts from one country philosopher to another. I do however believe there is a difference in character flaws and just being rough around the edges.........I hope that I can discern the difference between the two, and make sure I work on the character part to make me a better person, and the stylistic areas, well........I think it is okay to embrace a little "gnarly" at times! ;):D

Michael James
03-11-2011, 7:29 PM
Won't argue with the self assessment:cool:, but I really like that piece alot. It made it to the finish line, and is absolutely one of a kind!

Steve Vaughan
03-11-2011, 7:34 PM
John, you did a heck of a job with that! Beautiful! Ain't nuttin' wrong with gnarly!

Fred Belknap
03-11-2011, 7:52 PM
It may have a few flaws but it is the real thing. I'd keep it, think I got a rock laying around here somewhere on my desk.:D

Gary Conklin
03-11-2011, 8:26 PM
John, as much as I like your turnings, the words wriiten to describe them are as much of a pleasure. Your descriptions pull the viewer in, and make them a part of your art! Well done.

Tim Thiebaut
03-11-2011, 8:41 PM
Nice piece John, and like the self reflection a lot...I think a lot of us are a little gnarly around the edges, nothing wrong with that, keeps life interesting for those around us. Is the piece of wood it is sitting on more of the same? Or is that something different?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-11-2011, 8:51 PM
I didnt see a beard on it John....did I miss something? Very interesting piece!

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 8:57 PM
Thanks, guys! This piece won't be for sale. I became attached to it pretty quickly. Funny, I can put hours into an art piece and have virtually no sentimental attachment to it - but this one was different!

The finish on this piece is probably the most tactile of any I have done. Very soft and silky smooth, with no discernible "layer" of finish. It has several coats of WOP, but after getting the grain filled, I took walnut oil and 600 grit and wet sanded it down to a very natural finish.

Tim, that is a Big Leaf Maple burl it is sitting on - one of the several that I have from Mike Smith.

David E Keller
03-11-2011, 9:03 PM
This is a cool looking piece of wood, and the unadorned form and finish are great.

...They were rotten from the inside and there was little left of them...

That statement could describe several attorneys that I've met, so you're in good shape if you're just a little rough around the edges.;):D:D:D

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 9:08 PM
That statement could describe several attorneys that I've met, so you're in good shape if you're just a little rough around the edges.;):D:D:DDaivd, it describes several I have met, as well!!!!!

Alan Trout
03-11-2011, 9:09 PM
I like it John, Have have done similar shapes for the same reason. Very nice.

Alan

Baxter Smith
03-11-2011, 9:17 PM
Nice looking piece John. Glad you found something you could become attached to. Having somewhat of a history or connection with a piece of wood is one of my favorite parts of any type of woodworking.

Curt Fuller
03-11-2011, 10:00 PM
John, as much as I like your turnings, the words wriiten to describe them are as much of a pleasure. Your descriptions pull the viewer in, and make them a part of your art! Well done.

Ain't that the truth!

Jeff Myroup
03-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Looks great, I like the rough gnarly look.

Harry Robinette
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
John
I like it and I really like the finish that looks good. By the way how said rough and gnarly is bad.

David DeCristoforo
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
It's a fine specimen of a gnarly burl. Looks just like you... except for the beard of course!

Sid Matheny
03-11-2011, 11:26 PM
It hard to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but you made a super nice piece out of that one.

Sid

Tim Thiebaut
03-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Tim, that is a Big Leaf Maple burl it is sitting on - one of the several that I have from Mike Smith.

Wow that is pretty cool looking, I have seen something similar to that in other pictures here and there but had no idea what it was. thanks for the info...Tim

Rick Markham
03-12-2011, 1:49 AM
John, I really like it. I have to say I personally enjoy refined turnings that have a gnarly character... In case you hadn't noticed. I think it was Shakespeare that said it best "beauty is in the imperfections" God's hand definitely does the finest work, we are just here to show it off from our mind's eye.

David Reed
03-12-2011, 2:40 AM
I recently returned from a two month road trip and I was not disappointed. Here I find the Creekers as busy as ever turning out wondrous pieces of art. And of course, John is as poetic as ever, both in his work and his words (and he has much good company). Nothing less would be expected nor accepted. I am just a little too tired to come up with a witty comment to post here tonight, so I will not even try. It shall be sufficient to say it is good to be back home, although the travel was, as always, wonderful.
Hoping to tune up the lathe and start making shavings soon, but a few other projects must intercede – that is, I must pay my dues for my wanderings.
Good to be among friends of like mind and spirit, even if vicariously.
As always John, nice piece.
David

Dan Forman
03-12-2011, 4:14 AM
A sign of wisdom is coming to terms with the fact that we all have flaws, developing a certain compassion toward them, (while still doing our best to rise above them), and an attitude of forgiveness to those of others.

Looking at your bowl, we see a well wrought classic form, whose "imperfections" attest to it's character, and whose strength is reflected in it's ability to withstand the forces of nature as well as it has, while the rest of the tree had succumbed.

Dan

Michelle Rich
03-12-2011, 7:50 AM
The third picture really shows this great piece..color variations, gnarly areas, etc. it's a super piece. Now as to your rough self, I sincerely doubt you are as bad as you suspect. Wishing does not make it so.;) I'm afraid you will be forever known here on SMC as the gentleman artist, and hollowform master.:) :cool: Just my .02 worth Grizzly Grandma

Donny Lawson
03-12-2011, 8:35 AM
I think it looks great. There is alot of character in it and it would qualify as a nice piece of art. It's nice to have a different piece because so many of us make bowls,platters,that look normal but every once in a while someone puts a piece like this on here and that (to me) is something extra special. It excites us to see something that is different and unusual. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Effinger
03-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Cool little bowl, John. Oak burl is really beautiful, even if it is twisted & gnarly.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]As expected, it began to change in character. The burl was gnarly, somewhat rough around the edges - and not handsome at all! I had put a rather refined shape to it, dressed it up, finished it nicely, but deep down, it was still a gnarly, rough piece of burl - a few voids here and there, and just not quite what one would call a fine specimen. As time passed, it began to revert to that gnarly character it originally had - notwithstanding my efforts to refine it.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that your wife wrote that paragraph about you! :p :D

Mark Hubl
03-12-2011, 12:33 PM
John,

The piece looks great. Love the gentle ogee. As far a gnarly goes, I think you have a ways to go to catch up with that bump from a log.

John Keeton
03-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I really appreciate the follow up comments - and, yes, this piece of wood is pretty representative of me! Brian, my wife didn't write that part - she may have been a bit more descriptive!!:eek:;)