PDA

View Full Version : Latest project---Small wall cabinet

Tony Shea
03-11-2011, 2:29 PM
Just thought I'd post what I've been working on as of late. It has taken me a bit to get to this point but mostly due to my lack of time in the shop. This is my first solid wood cabinet build and have enjoyed the learning proccess emensly. It is for my GF mostly to hold her jewelry and valuable items. The two levels of openings will have drawers that I've yet to build as I've had to go back a few steps with the door. I had originally made a door with a crazy grained peice of sappele, which my gf absoluetely loved. After I made it it sat for a couple weeks before i could get back to the shop, and the wood twisted the all over the place. Must have been the wild grain was full of stresses. Which in turn twisted the frame all over the place. So I started a new door with a panel out of what I think to be Bubinga. The original picture I had of the door was aparently too large a file. Not sure how to correct that, anyone with some insight how to would be appreciated. Critisims are welcome.

186220 186221

jamie shard
03-11-2011, 3:07 PM
Be careful, making furniture for a girlfriend often leads her to turn into a wife. :D

john brenton
03-11-2011, 3:22 PM
Looks like bubinga to me. Make sure you are dedicated to finishing this piece....those drawer spaces turn into cubby holes awfully fast!

Adam Cormier
03-11-2011, 4:05 PM
Great looking piece, I really like your dovetails.

Jim Rimmer
03-11-2011, 4:14 PM
The original picture I had of the door was aparently too large a file. Not sure how to correct that, anyone with some insight how to would be appreciated. Critisims are welcome.

186220 186221

You can download Picasa for free (I think it's a Google product) and it has a resizing feature for pics. I have it at home so I can't tell you now how it works but I've used it because my pics are too big to download to SMC.

Andrew Gibson
03-11-2011, 4:50 PM
Looks good. I have built a few things out of Sapele. I have found that the flat sawn pieces like to twist badly. I have a 4" wide by 6' long piece that twisted almost 90 degrees from end to end. The quarter sawn pieces seem to be fairly stable.

Tony Shea
03-11-2011, 5:41 PM

I was able to shrink the size of the Bubinga door pic I had. Thanks Jim for the Picasa tip. The door on the left was the original Sapele door that twisted up. Unfortunatly the nice grain wasn't conducive to a nice flat panel. The door on the right is the Bubinga replacement.