PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery help

Justin Freund
03-11-2011, 1:54 PM
My latest project has been a new upholstered queen sized bed for myself. I've built the mattress platform, built and upholstered the footboard, headboard, and sideboards but am stuck on the very last part. Hopefully I can explain the situation. I'll post pictures tonight if things get lost in translation here.

The footboard is a sandwich of two pieces of 3/4 ply. In between the two pieces is a webbing of more 3/4 ply leaving a 1 1/2" wide groove that's 3/4" deep all the way around the footboard.

The plan was to wrap the upholstery into the groove and staple in place, then to rip another piece of ply to secure into the groove, which would then be used to secure ebonized oak trim pieces to finish off the edges. Everything is now upholstered and I've gotten so far as ripping and placing the plywood strips into the grooves but decided I didn't like the look of the finished wood trim.

Now I'd like to attach some 1/4" upholstered ply to the edges as the finished edges instead of the ebonized oak. However, with the proposed edges being upholstered, I can't come up with a way to secure them in place. I can't screw them in place without wrecking the fabric and even if I could, I don't like the look of any screw caps I've found. I thought about upholstery tacks, but I can't find any with long enough nails. I thought about upholstered buttons, but they would have to have nail backs and I haven't been able to find those either. I guess I could just glue it in place, but I don't particularly care for that idea. So here I am asking upon the collective wisdom that is the creek.

Any ideas?

Sean Nagle
03-11-2011, 6:46 PM
I'd use hot glue. Apply just enough and you shouldn't get any squeeze out.

Kip Stevens
03-12-2011, 12:44 AM
18 ga brad gun works great or you could hand drive some small brads right through the fabric. Most fabrics do very well but test yours on a scrap first. If you hand drive, you might have to use a straight pin to pop the head through. I grew up doing this in my dads Upholstery shop.

Don Jarvie
03-12-2011, 1:53 PM
If you like the look of the upholstery tacks you could nail the new piece on and cover the nail with the head of the tack. The head should be wide enough that you cover the nail.