PDA

View Full Version : Very large FHWS's?

Joe O'Leary
03-11-2011, 1:26 PM
I'm mounting a big ol' vise to the end of my bench. The rear jaw has large countersunk mounting holes (almost 5/16").

The largest FHWS's I can find are #14, which are pretty small for this.
Any ideas what else I could use?

Thanks.

Joe

Charlie Gummer
03-11-2011, 1:36 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-head-wood-screws/=be0vfp

McMaster has them up to #24. Double check the hole diameter but I think #18 will work.

Greg R Bradley
03-11-2011, 1:38 PM
Spax makes FH Construction Screws in 1/4" & 5/16". Should be able to get them from Home Depot or Orchard Supply (OSH).

How heavy duty a vise are you mounting? If it is for heavy use, you might want to use FH machine screws and go THROUGH the top so you can back it up with big washers.

Jon McElwain
03-11-2011, 1:45 PM
How heavy duty a vise are you mounting? If it is for heavy use, you might want to use FH machine screws and go THROUGH the top so you can back it up with big washers.

+1 on this, I ran flat head machine screws through the top of the bench to secure my vice.

Joe O'Leary
03-11-2011, 4:44 PM
The vise is pretty heavy, but will only be used for woodworking. I am talking about the face screws on the rear jaw. There are also mounting holes underneath. I was planning to use 5/16 lag bolts x 1 1/2". If I drilled through the top for these, I'd probably use countersunk hex heads as these screws shoulder most of the weight.