PDA

View Full Version : Random Ramblings

Liesl Dexheimer
03-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Two things that have been on my mind...

First being opinions/advice. What do you do when you have a customer that says they will stop by @ a certain time to meet with you to discuss a project and then they don't show up? Do you contact the person the next day, do you contact them at all? It probably does depend on the situation. I will say that I had a "no show" customer a week ago. I had thought of contacting them but felt it wasn't my right to do so...it was pretty rude in my opinion...not to mention I had a feeling the job would be a PITA. It's not that I've never had this happen before but it doesn't happen often either (thank god). So what do you do when you have a "no show?"

Second mini-topic: Don't want to get too negative but have a lot of your customers been asking you the price of a product/service almost right away? Here in the NE it seems like that's all anyone cares about. I also get a lot of requests from current customers about cheapest product available. I even seen searches through my site about cheapest engraving. I know it's a sign of the times & "it is what it is" so to speak...I guess I miss people caring more about service and quality.

Joseph Belangia
03-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Those are good questions. Engraving prices are all over the map.

Times are tight, and people have the luxury of price shopping through the internet. But, fortunately you get what you pay for. I've seen plenty of cheap prices on photo-engraving...but when you look at the work that is being produced, you can tell why it's so cheap--->Import pic, move contrast slider all the way over, print, pay me. Cheap, fast and looks like crap. Service and quality have taken a back seat to quantity and speed. It happened to the housing industry and this one isn't immune to it, either.

Let the no-show just roll off your back. If you start to take things like this personally, you'll just end up crying in your beer at the end of each day.

I had an acquaintance email me and ask if I would donate a full-color 18x24 portrait on marble of a dead aunt so they could auction it off to help pay for burial fees....as much as I would have loved to provide my services for free, the bank doesn't see things in that manner. Customers will ask about prices, try and hem you in on services for free, whine about the smallest detail in order to get something for nothing. It happens.

They aren't all like that, but you get the point. Business....like sausage and movies, isn't a pretty thing to watch being made sometimes.

David Fairfield
03-11-2011, 12:33 PM
No shows are good. Consider them self-eliminating PiTA's.

Prices, its fair to ask up front. But many times, they don't really know what that "something" is that they are asking for. Helps to follow up with questions to help them figure it out. Hopefully they are looking for some special quality you can provide. If they are just looking for the cheapest they can get, that's fine, too. Tell them the name of the cheapest guy around; another self eliminating PiTA.

Rodne Gold
03-11-2011, 12:34 PM
No shows without a courtesy call are bad customers you should feel good you lose.
I always want to know what I'm in for money wise before I proceed , a ball park figure can be given - like "Between $5 and $15 depending on what is required" , something like that, No good getting annoyed by customers , they your life blood , you need to cater to their foibles.

Neil Pabia
03-11-2011, 12:51 PM
I have always been very time oriented, if they can't be on time and they can't be bothered to call me and let me know, I don't want to deal with them. It is a matter of respect and them not showing up and not calling tells me that they have no respect for me or my time and no further communications are prefered as far as I am concerned.

As far as them wanting the cheapest price they can get, that is what we all want but with the best quality we can get. I would rather pay the extra for a quality piece than save a few bucks and have a work of art worthy of hanging in the back of the closet.

I also will not get angry with a customer, but I will raise my prices as the customers attitude calls for.

Liesl Dexheimer
03-11-2011, 1:03 PM
Those are good questions. Engraving prices are all over the map.

Times are tight, and people have the luxury of price shopping through the internet. But, fortunately you get what you pay for. I've seen plenty of cheap prices on photo-engraving...but when you look at the work that is being produced, you can tell why it's so cheap--->Import pic, move contrast slider all the way over, print, pay me. Cheap, fast and looks like crap. Service and quality have taken a back seat to quantity and speed. It happened to the housing industry and this one isn't immune to it, either.

Let the no-show just roll off your back. If you start to take things like this personally, you'll just end up crying in your beer at the end of each day.

I had an acquaintance email me and ask if I would donate a full-color 18x24 portrait on marble of a dead aunt so they could auction it off to help pay for burial fees....as much as I would have loved to provide my services for free, the bank doesn't see things in that manner. Customers will ask about prices, try and hem you in on services for free, whine about the smallest detail in order to get something for nothing. It happens.

They aren't all like that, but you get the point. Business....like sausage and movies, isn't a pretty thing to watch being made sometimes.

Haha, thanks for that funny yet accurate response! It is good to try to maintain a sense of humor even when the chips are down.

Martin Boekers
03-11-2011, 1:06 PM
I always call them back, if nothing else they don't expect it and feel uncomfortable that you called. ;-)
This is also a good habit as maybe an emergency came that they couldn't call you quickly.

As for pricing I try to get their budget out of them first then it's easier to show them through products
that fit their budget quickly. Most of the time this works well and it gives a chance for them to maybe
buy a nicer product.

I have a basic pricing idea of what's out there local and can direct them to a shop more fitting for their
work.

I do have a decent selection of lower priced items just for these purposes, last year a new client came in
with a "lousey" budget treated him fairly and the next job was $1500.00 you just never know.

It's easy to get upset or in a bad mood because of a few clients, this ends up passed on
to the next who walk through your doors.

I thank the Lord everyday that the PITA ones are very few in the scheme of things.

Ross Moshinsky
03-11-2011, 1:27 PM
1. If your shop is by appointment only, it's okay to get miffed. If you are a regular shop open at any time for customers, you can't get wrapped up in people's nonsense. I've had people call a month or two ahead of an event, they asked some questions and magically 3-4 days before the event, they are at my door asking to place the order, get the best price, and expect me to remember every detail of a conversation a month ago.

2. The first question I ask customers is how much they want to spend. People walk in here all the time saying "I want something nice". You show them a $50 plaque and the balk at the price. Ends up they only have $20 in their pocket. Fact is, budget is the main concern. Once you give me a price point, I offer you options of what you can get. It's much simpler than showing someone a bunch of stuff they can't afford. Some people are too proud to admit they can't afford it and will walk out rather than tell me so I can suggest a different item. Knowing budget is the first step for just about any order we take.

Liesl Dexheimer
03-11-2011, 2:01 PM
I certainly understand that it is important for people to know the price of something before hand. I know I feel the same way on certain things/services I may need. What bothers me is when a customer just wants a price over the phone without me even seeing what they have that they want engraved. I try to explain to them that I really need to see the item first to better quote a price and occasionally I will give a price range. However, most of these jobs fall through. I will sometimes suggest if they could email a picture (though nothing beats seeing the item physically) but usually they don't want to go to the extra work. It seems like I'm getting more of these potential PITA jobs where someone wants me to engrave something they have but only want to spend under $10.00 for engraving. I guess it just comes with the territory. It certainly makes you appreciate your more understanding & loyal customers.

Mike Null
03-11-2011, 4:13 PM
Liesl

I try to concentrate on commercial stuff but I get retail calls all the time. I have a $25 minimum which usually scares the tire kickers off. I generally do not call retail customers for follow up--I understand they thought they could get something engraved for $10, just not in my shop. On the other hand, I will do jobs that others turn down. A couple of weeks ago a lady from out of town asked if I could make a temporary cross and engrave it for her Father's grave. They were having a large monument made and it was going to take some time.

Her Mother was pressing to have the grave marked so the woman was very grateful when I made the cross--enough that she insisted I take $20 more than i quoted.

I sand carved two pink quartz hearts yesterday, nobody else would do it, (again the lady was from out of town and insisted I take a $10 tip) and I accepted a job to engrave (sand blast) 6 six foot long swords to be given to groomsmen. (I have to cut holes in my cabinet to do the job)

Connie Gill
03-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I try my dangdest to treat even my PITA customers like they are my best customer - you never know when that one customer will lead you to your best job ever...
My day job is as a service rep for a corrugated box plant, I treat every customer I have like they are my biggest/best customer. It is a philosophy shared by everyone in our plant and it has kept us in business during the lean years, with tough competitive situations and with tough customers. One dissatisfied customer can wreak unmeasurable havoc to your business goals.
Like Mike I will take on the job no one else wants to deal with just because. Usually the gratitude and happiness of the person is greater than what I charge for the service.