PDA

View Full Version : Getting fed up

George Sanders
03-11-2011, 7:01 AM
I'm at a point where I just want to say no to those who want me to make them things. For one, they don't appreciate it and secondly they don't even want to pay for materials. Those who do pay only have jobs I don't like such as rebuilding or refinishing something, and even then they expect miracles.
Maybe it's just the winter doldrums taking their toll on me.
In the past I have built some nice high quality (I think) pieces and I know I need to just ignore everyone else and do what I want to do which is build furniture in the style I like such as the entertainment center pictured in this post. I built it five years ago out of red oak and it was my first serious large piece. It was extremely challenging for me and deeply satisfying upon completion.

Chris Damm
03-11-2011, 7:10 AM
I don't build anything I don't want to and then only for family. I gave up on building for un appreciating idiots a long time ago!

Jeff Monson
03-11-2011, 9:11 AM
George, heres a video that will give you a chuckle, maybe a new take on woodworking for friends.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7575301

Dan Hintz
03-11-2011, 10:30 AM
For only the second time in my career, I fired a client last night (the first was from my LED company, this one was from my laser company).

Despite my better judgement, I accepted the job at well below my normal rates as a favor to this person and the organization it was for. There was a mistake or two on my part throughout the course of the project due to my lack of experience with the material (not to mention my laser going belly up shortly before doing it), and for a normal client I would have been happy to redo everything. However, job specs and information was painfully slow coming in, causing several false starts. I rolled with the punches, and ended up doing the full job three times. After a page of complaints rolled in with expectations this should be done to the same level of craftsmanship as clients who pay full price (and who give me everything I need immediately), I finally decided to return payment and wash my hands of it.

Had I received all info I needed up front, I would have likely done it twice before getting it right (I would have made MY mistake on the first run, followed by a winning run). I lost money even doing it once, but it was for "a good cause". Doing it twice was an acceptable loss due to my own mistakes. Doing it three times was getting unbearable, but I aim to please. Having a request for a fourth shot? Sorry, the rest of my business is suffering. I'm done.

I can 100% guarantee, however, I will never again accept a job at a cut rate for "a good cause". I do give cut rates to friends for small projects that only take me an hour or two, and I never expect them to offer to do something for me for free. They are fitting their project around my schedule and understand the amount of work involved, so they deserve a price break.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear, I agreed with some of the concerns they raised, I just didn't feel it was financially viable to continue with the project after having spent so much time on it already. I normally send out a quote detailing all expected work, which must be signed by the client before I begin work. I didn't get that this time, information trickled in over an extended period of time, thereby pushing this project outside my typical boundaries. Never again...

Phil Thien
03-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I can 100% guarantee, however, I will never again accept a job at a cut rate for "a good cause".

LOL, I've said that like 20 times since opening my own business in 1988.

I've done work for some non-profits and just ask that they cover my materials costs, and have never regretted it for one single second. I think it is because of my contacts at those particular non-profits. They are themselves donating expensive time and don't waste my time with delays or nonsense. I would honestly do anything these individuals ask me to do, even if it was outside my comfort zone, because I know they wouldn't ask unless they needed it.

But anyone that says "it is for a good cause" like that excuses any behavior, well, I run from those like nuts.

Scott Shepherd
03-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I found a way to stop all the "things for friends and family". When someone asks me to make something for them, I simply say "Sure, we can do that, let me know what day you want to come by and help me make it". Since starting to use that line, I've never done a single job for any of them.

They all want something because it takes no effort from them. Since it takes no effort, they don't value it much, in my opinion. Let them put some skin in the game and it's a different story.

David Weaver
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
I never make anything for anyone that they have any say in. I have no issue with making a dovetailed box or something and giving it to a relative if they are out somewhere and see something like that and mention they really like it.

If anyone asks for anything else, like:
* built ins
* furniture articles
* entertainment centers

I always tell them no - i don't build things like that for other people, and I do my best to come off like a jerk about it so they don't ask again. As soon as I start telling people the reasons why I don't do them, then they feel like they have the leverage to say "well, if it costs you as much for materials as it does to buy the whole thing $X, then maybe you could get cheaper materials". It's just a road you don't want to go down.

I learned from another friend that you only build something that you would actually want to have, too, because whoever you build it for might change their mind, and you'll be holding it.

Several people have thought I was lying when I told them that it costs about $300 to get the materials for a medium sized bookshelf if it's not going to just look like some sides and a thin back like you can get ikea.

The most comical response I've gotten so far when I said "no" was, "could I borrow your tools and do it, then, and if I get stuck you can help me?". That from someone who's never turned a screw, driven a nail, etc.

Montgomery Scott
03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I've occasionally made stuff for family members, stuff like a pen for $100 or a segmented turning for a few hundred. Most of the time I just make stuff to give as Christmas presents. I've never taken a job for anyone else and don't intend to until after I retire. My time is too valuable to make a low wage making stuff I might not like to make anyway.

W Craig Wilson
03-11-2011, 6:37 PM
I normally send out a quote detailing all expected work, which must be signed by the client before I begin work. I didn't get that this time, information trickled in over an extended period of time, thereby pushing this project outside my typical boundaries. Never again...

I think you answered your own issue. Even if you work at cost or donate material yourself, ask the client to follow the usual process. Tell 'em that's how you keep your quality up; if they buy it, you're in. If they balk, you're done.