PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear HF

Roger Chandler
03-11-2011, 12:07 AM
I have been so busy the last week or so, I have had no turning time. I decided at 9:30 pm this evening to go out to the shop and see what I could do quickly.

I had this block of Bradford Pear off another turning, that had a lot of cracks in it, but I decided to load it up with CA glue and see what I could do with it just for the practice.

This has a lot of cracks and CA glue, and I used my hand held Ellsworth tools for the hollowing. The walls are a consistent 3/16" and the finish is one coat danish oil.

The last picture has a nickel beside the turning to show comparative size.

Comments are welcome, however this was just for practice, but I think it turned out okay, even with all the cracks in the wood.

Now that I posted the pics, I see all the sanding marks I missed :eek::( in my hurry up to get done, the shadows in the less than good lighting in my shop after dark! Oh well......:o:o:o

Mark Hubl
03-11-2011, 2:30 AM
Glad you got some shop time. That is a nice little form. In the shop I find the hurrier I get the behinder I go.

Dan Forman
03-11-2011, 4:09 AM
Outside of the scratches you mentioned, the execution looks pretty good. I would advise though, when you are practicing, to experiment with form. Design wise, this piece is rather static - mouth and base about the same size, the curve is symmetrical. Looks nice, but lacks excitement. Objects tend to hold more interest when they are less symmetrical - widest part above or below the middle, and significant difference in foot and mouth. When you practice, it's a good idea to try something really different - pushing the envelope. That way, if it doesn't end up pleasing, you don't feel like it's a waste of time or nice wood.

Dan

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 5:39 AM
Roger, you made it clear this was a "practice piece," so a critique may not be in order. It is well executed, but does lack interest. I like the wood, even with the cracks, and you included some nice detailing on the rim.

Over the last decade or so, I noticed my need for more working light, so when I did the current shop in 2004, I installed a lot of very bright hanging flourescents. The shop ceiling is vaulted because of the truss system, but I dropped the lights to about 8'. Most younger folks get temporarily blinded when they walk in!!! But, I sure enjoy being able to see. My lathe ended up in a corner of the shop that is probably the least well lit area, so I still need task lighting there. A raking light is critical for finishing a turning.

Roger Chandler
03-11-2011, 8:16 AM
Glad you got some shop time. That is a nice little form. In the shop I find the hurrier I get the behinder I go.

Mark, now after I posted this, I guess I should not have, as it was truly just a hurry up and do something because I just wanted to turn something......anything.....without a plan or any forethought. It had been a little over a week since I had even been in my shop, and that cracked up block was just laying there on my bandsaw table, so there I go..........

Certainly not a great effort on my part, but I did enjoy making the curlees fly, and having tools in my hand.

"Design wise, this piece is rather static - mouth and base about the same size, the curve is symmetrical. Looks nice, but lacks excitement. "

Dan, that block of Bradford pear was pretty small, so getting a good curve to the bottom would have meant running into the chuck...........I did not have a plan, just started turning, and that is how that one went.......I think this will end up holding pencils on someones desk where my wife works.

John K., .........you are so correct about the need for task lighting.......I did not see those scratches until I saw the pics full size after posting past midnight! I used a flash light to see how deep I was hollowing when I got near the bottom. Thanks for your email also..........I hear you! If I had it to do over again..........well I just would not have done this piece at all! ;):)