PDA

View Full Version : Wall-O-Tools

Steve Branam
03-10-2011, 10:48 PM
I've finished building a storage wall for all my tools to replace pegboards and random drawers and cabinets scattered all over the shop. I borrowed lots of ideas from things I've seen here and elsewhere. Simple, cheap, and effective.

Details and more photos at www.closegrain.com/2011/02/workshop-reorganization.html (http://www.closegrain.com/2011/02/workshop-reorganization.html)

John Sanford
03-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Verrry nice. What are the dimensions? Can you make a note to update us onhow the layout is working for you, and what may have changed, in, say, 6 months or so?

Jim Neeley
03-11-2011, 1:00 AM
Steve,

Thanks for showing your layout and construction steps as you built it. It's really helping me visualize where I want to go with mine over time! Nice work too! :)

Jim

Gary Hodgin
03-11-2011, 3:12 AM
That's looks great!

Dave Gaul
03-11-2011, 7:31 AM
Steve, that is simply awesome!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-11-2011, 9:30 AM
That looks terrific, and I am very jealous.

Terry Beadle
03-11-2011, 9:42 AM
I think you need one more chisel....hoot!

Very nice layout. Well done !

The "you suck" award can't be far behind !

Steve Branam
03-11-2011, 7:45 PM
Verrry nice. What are the dimensions? Can you make a note to update us onhow the layout is working for you, and what may have changed, in, say, 6 months or so?

Thanks, everybody! This came out to just under 11' wide, 4' tall. I'll definitely update after I get some time in using it like this.

I think you need one more chisel....hoot!

Very nice layout. Well done !

The "you suck" award can't be far behind !

You're right, I only have in-cannel gouges, I need some out-cannel gouges! And I would be honored to suck among this crowd! :D

Rick Lapp
03-11-2011, 8:21 PM
Steve,
I think you'll find your system is far superior to a box or cabinet. Having the tools close at hand is a real advantage, plus it looks cool. I have never understood the draw for an enclosed toolbox unless you need to be mobile. My set up is similar though it is more evolutionary than revolutionary.

Rick

Phil Thien
03-11-2011, 8:56 PM
That looks great, I'd like to see some higher resolution pics, if possible, so I can swipe some ideas for tool holders.

Steve Branam
03-11-2011, 9:19 PM
That looks great, I'd like to see some higher resolution pics, if possible, so I can swipe some ideas for tool holders.

You can get a bigger image if you click on the additional pictures in the blog entry. If that's not enough detail, I can take some more closer up, just let me know which ones you're interested in. Most of them follow the same pattern.

Rick Lapp
03-11-2011, 11:46 PM
On second thought, it's a terrible set-up! Where are the empty slots for future tools?! ;) Rick

Mark Baldwin III
03-12-2011, 7:49 AM
I enjoyed reading about this on your blog. In fact, your blog is one of the two that I keep bookmarked (Derek's being the other). It just struck me that your wall rack is the same length as my work shop! I'm not even sure if I have 11 feet of continuous wall space anywhere in my little house. I like a lot of your ideas, and you're helping me to figure out how to get my tools efficiently stored into a small space. Thanks for sharing!

Steve Branam
03-12-2011, 8:26 AM
On second thought, it's a terrible set-up! Where are the empty slots for future tools?! ;) Rick

There is that one last 2' section of pegboard that I could replace with another panel, plus about another foot before the basement door. Plenty of room for expansion!

I enjoyed reading about this on your blog. In fact, your blog is one of the two that I keep bookmarked (Derek's being the other). It just struck me that your wall rack is the same length as my work shop! I'm not even sure if I have 11 feet of continuous wall space anywhere in my little house. I like a lot of your ideas, and you're helping me to figure out how to get my tools efficiently stored into a small space. Thanks for sharing!

The nice thing about these modular panels is they can be mounted on multiple walls, just keep adding them in any increments as you need and surround yourself with tools.

Chris Haas
03-13-2011, 11:08 AM
looks great, but i dont see a place for your coffee cup.

really nice job though.

Jim Koepke
03-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Very nice.

I guess if you run out of wall you can make doors to hang more tools.

jtk

gary Zimmel
03-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Can't have enough storage space. Nice job Steve.

Steve Branam
03-13-2011, 3:09 PM
Thanks, Gary, I might add that the shop in your avatar photo is one of the ones I mean when I talk about shop storage that looks like fine furniture, it's absolutely beautiful! One day I hope to have a space that nice.

Bill Bukovec
03-13-2011, 8:46 PM
What do you call a tool cabinet that is 11' wide and 4' tall?

A good start. ;-)

Great job!

Leigh Betsch
03-13-2011, 9:24 PM
Looks very nice. Kinda like working inside a toolbox!
It's a question I often think about. Wheather rack storage is better than drawers and toolboxes or not. I have aquired quite a few tool boxes over the years, some inheatited and some I bought. Toolboxes are nice in that they keep my tools clean, no sawdust on them. But I now have a clearview cyclone and that helps alot.
I think I'll move toward your kind of storage for my WW tools, keep the mechanicing and machining tools in their boxes though.

Your's looks good, I like it!