PDA

View Full Version : 12" Slider or PM66??

John McClanahan
03-10-2011, 10:45 PM
I have located a German made 12" sliding table cabinet saw. It is single phase, with a 1" arbor. The problem is I think it has a short arbor, limiting the use of a dado blade. While waiting for a dry weekend to go take a look at it I found a Powermatic 66 with a long fence. It has a 3 phase motor and yellow paint.

Both saws are the same price. Both are 100+ miles away. Which should I try to buy??:confused:

Thanks,
John

Larry Edgerton
03-11-2011, 6:38 AM
John, I read all I could find on that Scheppach, and I would walk away, as I said on the other thread.

I would especially walk away if it was a choice between that and a PM66. I own a PM66, and have for about 15 years. It has been perfect all this time and I use it hard. If you want a slider you can add a carrage, in fact I think I saw one for sale in the classifieds.

The PM66 is for life...... That other saw, not so much.....

Carroll Courtney
03-11-2011, 8:30 AM
I have a PM66 and love it,its does all I want.But,I have always wanted a slider.Cross cutting would be so much more accurate,panel cutting would also be made alot easier.(the slider does have a bigger footprint,do you have the room)Go for the slider and better be some pics of either one----Carroll
Just read Larrys comment,I have no experiences w/a slider but sounds like Larry does

Rod Sheridan
03-11-2011, 8:41 AM
John, I went from a cabinet saw (General 650) to a slider (Hammer B3 Winner).

No comparison, slider wins hands down.

Whether the slider you've selected is a good choice is another question.

Sheppach are a well known manufacturer, however not in North America.

I would pass on both and continue the hunt for a used slider.............Rod.

Chris Fournier
03-11-2011, 9:02 AM
Either saw will likely be great for you. I had a cabinet saw for almost 20 years and now have a European slider. I wish that I had both!

The slider makes processing large unwieldy sheet goods a treat but it is not a "jack of all trades" as is the cabinet saw. The cabinet saw is king for easy fixturing and specialized work.

If you build a lot of boxes get the slider, if you want a compact machine footprint and straight forward versatility get the PM66.

A nice sliding unit on the PM66 wouldn't be bad...

Larry Edgerton
03-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Just read Larrys comment,I have no experiences w/a slider but sounds like Larry does

Hi Carroll

I guess I should have specified. but yes I do have a MiniMax slider as well as a PM66.

I do not consider the saw he is looking at a slider, not by a long shot, or at least not in the same sentence with Hammer/Felder/Minimax and others saws. I do not see it lasting, I do not see enough weight[132#], I would be surprised if it stays in tune, and I have to question parts availability.

If I put a Ferrari emblem on my Chevette, it is still a Chevette.....

John McClanahan
03-11-2011, 9:49 PM
Thanks for everyones advice. Better quality table saws don't seem to show up on my area's CL very often. then to have three of them show up in two weeks was a bit of a shocker. Yes, three. I didn't mention the Minimax, for only $50 more than these other two. It looked liked someone painted it by throwing a bucket of paint at it. I don't have the floor space it would require, so I passed on it.

I'm leaning towards the Powermatic at this point. It has a 3 phase motor on it, so I need to start motor shopping. The seller is out of town this weekend, so I will have to wait until next weekend, and hope its still there. You may here from me again before this is over!:D

John

doug faist
03-11-2011, 11:22 PM
John - I went from a 12" INCA to a 12" Laguna Sliding Table. Though I love the slider, especially for cross cutting and dado cutting, there are times when I wish I hadn't sold the INCA. Ripping on the slider presents some problems not found on a traditional saw.

Your choice really depends on the kind of projects you do.

Good luck with your decision.

Doug

Henry Ambrose
03-12-2011, 10:27 PM
No need for a new motor.
A VFD or a rotary phase converter will let you run it off single phase.
It'll be lots easier and maybe cheaper.

Chip Lindley
03-13-2011, 5:01 AM
I Love my PM66! Can't say I would not Love a "real" slider too--but their footprint is Huge! Up through the early 2000s, the PM66 was THE BEST all-around USA-made 10" TS of all time! Built like a Tank! Add an Exaktor or Excaliber sliding table, and you will have the best of both worlds.

Check the model year of the "mustard" PM66. (first two digits of the ser.no. is the year manufactured) Fit and finished suffered from saw to saw towards the end of PM66 production. Sad but True. My '98 model is certainly a keeper!