PDA

View Full Version : Changing bearings on cutterhead, Grizzly Jointer g1182

James Vogts
03-10-2011, 10:03 PM
As the title says, I need to replace the bearings on the cutter head of my grizzly jointer. The bearing closest to the pulley is the one that is going bad, but I figured that I would replace both of them.

I can't get the pulley off of the end of the cutterhead, and I don't know how to get the bearing off of the end of the cutterhead. I've got the bearing housing off of the end of the cutterhead opposite from the pulley. Hopefully I don't need press the new bearings on...

Here is the link to the part's list.

http://cdn5.grizzly.com/partslists/g1182_pl.pdf

Jerry Bruette
03-10-2011, 10:38 PM
After removing the set screws from the pulley a puller would be your best bet to get the pulley off. Be sure to hook the puller jaws behind the groove flange and not in the belt groove.

Getting the bearings off might be a little more difficult. I'd cut them off with a cut off wheel mounted on a die grinder if you have one available. If that's not an option you could try to get a puller behind the bearing to pull them off.

To put the bearings on you could use a piece of pipe that fits over the shaft but is no bigger than the inner ring of the bearing to drive the bearing on with a hammer. Some times a socket works well for this. Be sure to put some oil on the shaft before driving the bearing on.

Don't get too carried away with making your choice of bearings either, you can't go wrong with a set of SKF bearings.

Good Luck
Jerry

James Vogts
03-11-2011, 9:21 AM
Thanks for the info, I am going to take a crack at them here soon.