PDA

View Full Version : Planing End Grain

Mark ten Haaf
03-10-2011, 9:22 PM
Is a low angle block plane the way to go with end grain? I just bought a Stanley 110 because I'm new and only had a smoother, but should I also get a low angle? Or, should I first get like a #5 and #7, and then a low angle? I was hoping to get by with the #110 and then use some sacrificial stock to avoid tearout on end grain.

I've only been hand planing for a few weeks and I tell you guys, I cannot believe how good it feels!
It's more affordable than I expected to, so far - I got the old Stanley for 7.35 on E-Bay and I'm looking forward to tuning it in.
I wouldn't be doing any of this without all of you here at the Creek, so cheers, everyone!

Joe O'Leary
03-10-2011, 9:30 PM
Mark,

I'm no expert, but I use a low angle block. I also put on a generous amount of alcohol if it's particularly difficult. Helps quite a bit

BH

Mark ten Haaf
03-10-2011, 9:46 PM
Mark,

I'm no expert, but I use a low angle block. I also put on a generous amount of alcohol if it's particularly difficult. Helps quite a bit

BH

How does the alcohol help?

Kevin Foley
03-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Mark,

If you're going to do a lot of end grain, your next could be low angle or standard but you'll probably want an adjustable mouth -- which the 110 doesn't have to be able to take a finer shaving. If you put together a shooting board, a 5 or 7 on it's side will do a fine job on end grain. For better and more complete answers -- and a lot about planing: Jeff Gorman's site http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingindex.html. Good luck!

Kevin

Joe O'Leary
03-11-2011, 8:35 AM

It softens the fibers.

Mike Siemsen
03-11-2011, 8:40 AM
The way in which the alcohol helps depends on where you put it. If you put it on the end grain it softens it a bit without raising the grain, water also works but can raise the grain. Putting the alcohol in the planer will make him more easily satisfied with the end result.
The key to planing end grain is not bevel up or bevel down, block plane or bench plane, it is a sharp sharp sharp plane!!!

Prashun Patel
03-11-2011, 8:58 AM
If you're talking about a narrow band of end grain then a low angle block is my tool of choice. The adjustable mouth isn't necessary, but a sharp blade and low angle works for me.

From my own hobbyist experience, low angle blocks are generally more versatile than standard angle ones.

In the LA blocks, there's 2 styles: adj mouth and fixed. The adj mouth DOES allow you to alter the aggressiveness of the cut. However, these tend to be larger than the fixed mouth styles. If the ergonomics of a small block suit you better, then go for the small one. My hands are smaller, and I prefer the smaller ones: the Stanley 102/103 styles.

Of course, all this is moot, because if you are like me and a lot of hand plane fans, you'll end up owning way more than you need anyway.

Chris Griggs
03-11-2011, 8:59 AM
The key to planing end grain is not bevel up or bevel down, block plane or bench plane, it is a sharp sharp sharp plane!!!

Absolutely agree. Sharp blade is number 1. A low angle definitely helps, but any plane with a sharp blade will shave end grain.

Bill Isaacs
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Alcohol helps with everything...lol And Kevin, how did you get my picture??? :)

David Weaver
03-11-2011, 11:22 AM
It softens the fibers.

Plus if you drink a lot of it, you won't notice that it's difficult to plane the fibers.

Jim Koepke
03-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Planing end grain is easiest with a low angle plane. I have a shoulder injury that lead me to purchase a low angle jack plane for use on a shooting board. The LA jack needs less effort and my shoulder appreciates the reduction of work needed.

To lessen blow out on the end of the cut, a chamfer can help. Also cut toward the center and stop before getting to the end.

You may be interested in reading my post on getting started in hand planes:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148076-Getting-Started-With-Hand-Planes

Further down in the thread is a post on Low angle block planes with an illustration of how to adjust a block plane like the #110. Mine is a #102, which is just a smaller version of the #110.

Derek Cohen also has a very useful site with a lot of information on hand planes:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/

jtk

Mark ten Haaf
03-11-2011, 3:15 PM
Jim,
Thanks so much for directing me to your other post. Like Dan, I will print this one off for later reference. I really appreciate it.

Kevin Foley
03-11-2011, 6:42 PM
Gee Bill either we're twins separated at birth -- or I got the same dog toy as you at Christmas. I'll find something else. What are the odds.....?

Kevin

Bill Isaacs
03-11-2011, 9:31 PM
Kevin - no need to change... I just thought it funny. My girls picked up 2 of these toys - one for the dog, one for me, lol!!

Gee Bill either we're twins separated at birth -- or I got the same dog toy as you at Christmas. I'll find something else. What are the odds.....?

Kevin