PDA

View Full Version : Tom Law handsaw sharpening dvd

Matt Ranum
03-10-2011, 7:04 PM
Wondered what the opinions are here of the dvd put out by Tom Law on sharpening hand saws? I have been thinking about ordering it but don't know much about public opinion of it.

Is it a must have or a don't waste your money?

I have a bunch of saws that have been gathering dust that need attention. I've read most of the more notable stuff on the net but videos are a different matter.

Jim Matthews
03-10-2011, 7:28 PM
There are free alternatives online...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flJMdpkcn5s&feature=related

Matt Ranum
03-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks Jim I'll give it a look.

Terry Beadle
03-11-2011, 9:47 AM
I bought the Tom Law saw dvd years ago and found it very informative and even more, entertaining. His style of practicallity and direct approach is a real treat. I would say the information and coaching in the dvd is a little more basic than professional level. He covers areas of most info needed to do all kinds of saw blade sharpening rather than just how to do it on say your dove tail saw. For the money, I still think it's a very good buy. I do think you can get most of the info in the dvd via the net but you won't find such a charming and practical approach.

Matt Ranum
03-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks Terry- I actually bit the bullet and ordered it this morning from TFWW. Looking forward to watching it.

Tony Shea
03-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Def not a waste of money but with all the info out there it certainly is not a neccessity. I liked the video and instantly felt fairly confident in my understanding of filing saws. IMO is a valuable video and worth the money.