PDA

View Full Version : ebay lathe?

Dustin Sims
03-10-2011, 6:09 PM
I'm new to turning, I've done some in the wood shop at the University, and I was looking into purchasing my own for table legs or bowls or anything. I saw this on ebay and I'm not trying to spend a lot of money right now, but I didn't know if this was a complete waste of money. tell me what you think!

http:// cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ELECTRIC-WOOD-LATHE-TABLE-TOP-40-INDUSTRIAL-4spd-/190507920202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5b282b4a#ht_2501wt_1141

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2011, 6:20 PM
Dustin... just my opinion, but save your money. Seriously, save your money and then pick up a lathe that can turn what you want. Jet and Delta make smaller lathes that are very capable but their prices are around $500 to $600. You can find other lathes that are cheaper - Harbor Freight, used lathes, etc. Best advice would be to get with your local turning club and see if one of the members there has a lathe to sell.

Jon Prouty
03-10-2011, 6:20 PM
I would not go fo this lathe - you will be disappointed (Harbor Freight sells a similar model)... there are so many other options. What is your budget?

Jon McElwain
03-10-2011, 6:29 PM
I would stay away from that one. It looks like angle iron for bed ways, it has the skinniest tail stock I have ever seen, and at 350 watts, it must be a little less than a half horsepower. Also, the slowest speed is 1100 rpm, way too fast for anything at all out of balance or a bowl blank - also way too fast for the apparent construction of the lathe.

The lowest cost lathe that I could recommend would be the 34706 from Harbor Freight. It has variable speeds, 3/4 horsepower, cast iron bed ways. With a coupon I think you can get this one for around $200. I think anything less is going to dissapoint you greatly.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2011, 9:39 PM
You have gotten some good advice and would stay away from this one. There are to many good lathes out there to be had.

Dustin Sims
03-11-2011, 7:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll save what I have and do some more shopping around. Thanks again everyone, big help.