PDA

View Full Version : HF question

Donny Lawson
03-10-2011, 5:47 PM
If I wanted to turn a HF from a "Green" log that is about 6" in diameter and I rough out the inside and the outside to about 5/8" thick straight through the pith do I need to re-turn the inside when it dries? if there is not alot of movement? The pith will be left in the bottom along with the tennon. I will probally soak it in DNA then bag it and let it dry.Does everyone re-turn the inside and outside?,or can I just re-turn the outside? I'm thinking about a vase or something that is about 10" or so tall. I haven't made one yet but this is in case I decide to do so.

Steve Schlumpf
03-10-2011, 6:01 PM
Donny - I always return the entire piece. I like having my turnings finished so that they are lightweight when you hold them and have a finish so that they make a statement from across the room.... but that is just me.

Nothing says you have to return the inside of a form. You are the turner... do what feels right to you!

Have fun!

Jim Burr
03-10-2011, 6:07 PM
I'm starting to, but only to smooth it out. If there is a lot of movement and shape change, there may not be enough to do much on the inside with!!. But in the end, it's gonna be what makes you happy!

Steve Vaughan
03-10-2011, 6:46 PM
What I'd do is re-turn both inside and outside. If there's any movement at all, it'll be all throughout the piece. And, if you just re-turn the outside once it's dry, then it's gonna be a bit out of balance, i.e., a little thin on part of it, a little thicker on the other...might make getting a uniform wall thickness difficult.

charlie knighton
03-10-2011, 7:44 PM
you did not say what type of wood ,???????

leaving the pith in a hf you put a lot of stress on your turning, if you are turning mesquite, you can leave the pith in, oak, cherry, maple, etc. you are going to probably have problems with wood movement, like cracks

you did not say if you are tuning side grain or endgrain?????????

Donny Lawson
03-10-2011, 7:53 PM
Wood type? I'm not sure yet. Endgrain? Yes, I would be turning from the top of the log to the bottom of the log. It will be a fresh cut log whatever it is. I haven't got that far yet. I'm just trying to figure it out first. I've been thinking about this all day at work and just had to ask. I read on a post eariler that someone turned a HF with the pith at the bottom and was wondering if that would effect the final outcome or not.

charlie knighton
03-10-2011, 8:00 PM
yes it would

if you had a piece of log maybe 7 inches high, split it down thru the pith, if the split half is 6 or seven inches wide you are in business

if you have mesquite, disregard above , start turning whole log piece

it is possible to tilt the log piece so the pith is somewhere on the side of the hf, but you still have cracking issues

Marc Himes
03-10-2011, 8:47 PM
If you have a particular piece of wood and you really want to use, but it would require you to leave with the pith in the bottom you can still do it and avoid cracking. Turn or bore a hole through the pith at the bottom and plug it later. You can even use a piece of the same log for the plug. It is more complicated, but still possible and can allow you to get some interesting effects such as getting both sap wood and heart wood or even bark incorporated into the piece.

Marc Himes

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2011, 9:27 PM
Donny I turn most of my HF's to finish in one turning down to at least 3/8". When I do have the pith in the bottom and I turn it around to put in my donut chuck I soak the pith with thin CA. After the CA has dried I finish the bottom. I then soak the piece in Antique Oil until it won't take anymore. I have never had one crack on me and yes there were a couple that moved some but not enough to worry about.