PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on GF enduro Poly finishing

scott vroom
03-10-2011, 3:00 PM
I'm spraying some office cabinets with General Finishes Enduro Poly White (custom tinted to an off-white). I'm planning on 3 coats of the Enduro and am wondering if there is any advantage to using 2 coats of the tinted + 1 final coat of Enduro Clear Poly Vs all 3 coats in the tinted white poly. Would a clear final coat give the finish a diffferent look?

Steve Schoene
03-11-2011, 9:48 AM
It will give a different look, but not differ in funcional ways, so the choice is strictly aesthetic. It's your, or your customer's, preference that counts.

Jamie Buxton
03-11-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't have experience with that waterborne, but my usual plan with Target stuff is to spray two coats of finish, then lightly resand. That resanding knocks off nibs and little bits of wood fiber raised by the water in the finish. It can done by hand with 600-800 grit, just skittering around on the surface. It is amazing how much the feel of the finish changes, from rough to smooth. One more coat of finish completes the job. The sanding may leave some trace effect you'll want to cover with a coat of pigmented finish, not the transparent stuff.