PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly Table Saw - Advice on How to Get It to the Basement

Steven Wahlert
03-10-2011, 2:53 PM
My Grizzly G0691 cabinet saw was delivered yesterday and is sitting undressed in my garage on its shipping pallet. What a beautiful sight!!!

This is my first cabinet saw and first really heavy piece of equipment to get into my basement shop. Obviously I want to do it safely for the saw and for my helper and me.

Would appreciate some expert/experienced advice.

Here's my idea so far-

Lighten the load.

Remove the motor - looks doable with 2 bolts fastening to the motor bracket. Pull power cable back through the cabinet wall mount

Remove the top - four bolts to remove, they're accessible from the outside of the cabinet. I don't see any shims but if there are any, need to keep track of their location.

Turn the cabinet upside down and strap on a hand truck. Rangle it down the stairs. (Turning upside down seems to be more stable because the heavy trunions are near the top.)

I guesstimated the stripped down weight at about 200 pounds, maybe a little less based on:
Crate shipping weight 450 pounds
Subtract -
pallet & packing 25 pounds
wings 65 pounds
other boxed parts 30 pounds
motor and starter 70 pounds
top 65 pounds

200 pounds sounds a lot more manageable than 450 pounds!

I think the cabinet without the top is still a rigid enough because of the trunions near the top. But do I need to worry about that going down the stairs?

Would appreciate any suggestions on how best to do this.

Also are there any pitfalls in removing and reassembling the motor and top?

Thanks!
Steve

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-10-2011, 2:57 PM
Turn the cabinet upside down and strap on a hand truck. Rangle it down the stairs. (Turning upside down seems to be more stable because the heavy trunions are near the top.)

This is how I and a friend got my SS PCS down the basement stairs. I left the top and motor installed, and it wasn't that bad. Just make sure the stairs seem OK with that sort of weight (should be). Don't "carry" it down - slide the hand truck slowly down one step at a time, so a stair is holding only the saw - not the saw's weight *and* your weight.

Glenn Brown
03-10-2011, 3:18 PM
Steven:

When I make my Grizzly purchase, this is how I'm going to get the job done:

http://www.bobshowto.com/Tips-Tricks/moving-tips/winches-ramps-move-myself.htm

Glenn

Joseph Tarantino
03-10-2011, 3:38 PM
glenn..that's really neat. thanks.

Richard Coers
03-10-2011, 3:49 PM
If you take the top off, you loose the alignment with the blade. You might have to align it anyway if factory settings are off, but you definitely have to if you take it off.

Chris True
03-10-2011, 3:53 PM
A cabinet saw without the wings attached is very movable with a hand truck and two guys, no need to take the top off. One step at a time, one on the hand truck, one in front. You hold back as it goes down each step, really not a big deal. Most important is to tie the thing to the handtruck securely. Removing the top is just going to screw up the alignment and make yourself a lot of work putting it back together.

Matt Schroeder
03-10-2011, 4:21 PM
I would think about ways of keeping both guys above the saw while moving the handtruck down the stairs--if you fit side by side on the stairs that is great, or maybe one on the handle with another at the top of the stairs on a rope (saw that in an earlier thread). I wouldn't want to be the guy below when the guy above gets a cramp...

Maik Tobin
03-10-2011, 4:31 PM
I moved a GO690 table saw and a 513X2B band saw into my basement still in the crate. Right now I am awaiting delivery of a new 15 inch Griz planer that will also go down the basement. In each case, I hired a professional mover to do the job. Each time it cost me $125. To me, not worth the headaches and possible back ache doing it myself.

bill kaminski
03-10-2011, 4:38 PM
Hi Steven, the method you describe will work fine. I did mine ( griz 1023 ) the same way. If you do take the top off, it will give you a chance to check all the nuts and bolts for tightness. I had a loose set screw. Re-alignment is not hard to do. ENJOY. bill

Steven Wahlert
03-10-2011, 5:16 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

About removing the top, I kind of view it as a learning experience as well.
Get to go through the whole alignment process and also get a better look at the trunion workings.
Just so long as it's not too much learning and turns into a headache.
Bill - thanks for the comment on that.

I took a Bosch 4000 down the stairs using its integral wheeled base a year ago and that was pretty easy (keeping a good grip and one step at a time). But the Bosch is only 100 pounds.
If I get the Griz under 200# seems like 2 guys side by side on top on the handcart should work. Yeah, it has to be securely tied down to the cart

Are there any issues with taking the motor off and reinstalling?

Gary Herrmann
03-10-2011, 5:23 PM
I just removed the wings on mine. Saved me some weight and I got a lot more maneuverability.

Chris Tsutsui
03-10-2011, 6:30 PM
I suggest stripping the weight down to a manageable weight. Don't strip it down ALL the way if that's possible because then it just means more re-assembly.

Use an appliance dolley rated for the weight. One designed for stairs and has built in straps. I have a regular dolley and I don't see how it would be safe to jsust add straps to it and take it down stairs because the wheels are sort of big.

Another idea is somebody else can belay the saw as it's lowered down the staircase and maybe anchor it to a post or something stretched across the door opening. Just make sure the belaying doesn't interfer with the movers. This will catch the saw in case somebody loses balance.

Another tip I found on this forum is to hire 2 lowland gorillas to move it for you.

Whatever is available...

I just moved an 850lb lathe last weekend that was stored outside in mud. I moved into a minivan while it was hailing and it took my friend and I 2 hours because the lathe was in a confined space. We used ratcheting straps, 3/4" kevlar rope, 1 ton shop crane, bricks, melamine, and a lot of thinking. :)

David Larsen
03-10-2011, 8:09 PM
A cabinet saw without the wings attached is very movable with a hand truck and two guys, no need to take the top off. One step at a time, one on the hand truck, one in front. You hold back as it goes down each step, really not a big deal. Most important is to tie the thing to the handtruck securely. Removing the top is just going to screw up the alignment and make yourself a lot of work putting it back together.

I did a 690 with an appliance cart up a flight of stairs on the crate with another guy and my bride. It worked fine. My only suggestion would be using a total of 3 guys instead. One on top and two below. One step at a time and it is easy enough. Stripping it down isn't necessary at all. Don't make more work for yourself than necessary!

Keep the wings separate.

Doug Colombo
03-10-2011, 8:21 PM
You should have no problem using an appliance cart and 2 other guys. As David said, go one step at a time and don't strip it down.

eugene thomas
03-10-2011, 9:30 PM
i had basemewnt shop for years. only tool had to take apart was milwaukee panel saw do to would not fit down stair opening in one piece. rest moved, slid down stairs in the shipping box or rented appliance dolly. the 15" planer did take 4 guys. that was the worst tool to move.

Steven Wahlert
03-10-2011, 10:23 PM
I've been meaning to checkout the appliance dollies, seems like now is the time to figure out how they work.
My budget hand cart is not not going to cut it.

Around here lowland gorillas are expensive (or maybe it's that I'm cheap). But I might be able to lure my nephew in to help with an offer of beer and one of the nice Freud combo blades I scored at the Sears clearance.

David Prince
03-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I usually just find someone to borrow an appliance cart from if I need one, but if I were going to purchase one, it would be the following:

I haven't seen any others that work as well. Yeats have ratcheting straps that lock. Many of the other brands just have an "S" bar that you shift into place to lock the straps.

No affiliation!

http://www.yeatsdolly.com/dolly.html

Probably the #14.

Steven Wahlert
03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the link to yeats dolly
Good advice too on #14 with the double ratchet.

Got me looking more generally at appliance dollys and how they work.

I need to check on rentals.

U-Haul supposedly rents for $10.
Our local A1 probably has them too.

I'm still leaning to removing the top and motor first.

Haven't heard anyone mention serious problems doing this other than it takes more time.
I don't mind spending some extra time to making the heavy work easier and safer.

Steve

Steven Wahlert
03-11-2011, 1:41 PM
I checked out our local rental place - appliance dollies rent for $7.
Has double straps and the small rubber belts near the bottom to roll down the stairs - step by step is the plan.

So I'm all set there.

Randy Alkins
03-11-2011, 3:40 PM
Do you have a Bilco door access, if so then two 2x10's from top to bottom and a winch cable (come along) to lower it on ramp.

Pat Barry
03-11-2011, 4:41 PM
Going down is the easy part. Good luck ever getting it back up the stairs.

Steven Wahlert
03-11-2011, 9:20 PM
Randy - It's an inside stair

Pat - That saw will not come out of the basement until/if we ever move.
No problem then because it will be professional movers.

BTW, I saw a video demonstrating a battery powered stair climbing dolly.
One guy moved an 800# safe to the second floor

Jim O'Dell
03-11-2011, 10:38 PM
The motor is a pain in the back side to get the belts tensioned. Maybe if you did it with the top still off. Definitely need 3 hands to do it. I removed the top on mine to wallow out the mounting holes in the cabinet top to get it aligned where I was happy. It was fun to get re aligned, but not horrible. Make sure you have a flat plate, like the Master Plate or similar, and a dial indicator on something like a miter bar. Very handy for getting the blade parallel to the miter slots. Jim.

BOB OLINGER
03-12-2011, 8:38 AM
I moved my new sawstop downstairs using a good appliance cart and one helper. I'm not one for removing the motor, but obviously all other unassembled components like the wings. A good cart, a couple helpers, and taking it slow should provide success!!!!!!!!

Steven Wahlert
03-12-2011, 9:17 AM
Jim
Will check out the Master Plate/Miter bar alignment aids.
BTW I know you have the 691 and have been happy with it.
I was debating between the Grizzly 1023 and the 691 and your comments helped me get comfortable with the 691.
Thanks for that.
Another factor for the 691 is that the manual calls for 20 amp service (which I have) vs 30 amp for the 1023.

Bob
Yeah, I'm a little worried about wrestling the 70 pound motor out and then back in place, so may just leave it in.
I'll take off the top and then get the weight, I'm guessing it will be around 250 with the motor.

Thanks for the comments

David Prince
03-12-2011, 9:20 AM
I wouldn't take the saw apart. It will go fine if you have a good cart and help.

John Morrison60
03-12-2011, 10:07 AM

If you have a straight stair, I would reccommend a slide.
I moved a 650 lb Jointer/Planer to my basement shop this way.
A 12' 2x10 will suffice for the slide/guide rail.
I made a sled out of 3/4 ply with a couple of cleats on it that fitted to the outside of the slide
and a couple of eyebolts to fasten ropes to.
Then all you have to do is to fasten the sled to your saw (ropes) and lower it down the stairs.
That nicely spreads the load over multiple stairs, and makes it an easy 2 person job.
I know that seems like a lot of preparation for a 3 minute move, but an out of control load is deadly.

Good luck.

John

Kent A Bathurst
03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Take the wings off, but leave the top on if at all possible. Motor not too tough to pull if you need to.

My solution for TS, BS, 8" jointer, 15" planer to the basement: Two very big, very strong friends, one hand cart w/strap, and an iced case of beer in the basement shop at the goal line.

I didn't break a sweat.

Eddie Darby
03-13-2011, 2:17 PM
Lighten the load enough and then get the girls to do it.

http://www.squidoo.com/movingliftingstuff

Of course if that's a problem, then there is always plan "B"!

http://seenontvshop.info/?cat=1

Steven Wahlert
03-13-2011, 3:32 PM
Eddie
Now I just need to find a midget for the high side and a 7 footer for the low side of the stairs and I'll be all set!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
There's obviously lots of ways to successfully skin this cat.

My plan is in progress.
The Griz is stripped and all is in the basement but the cabinet..
The cabinet weighs in at 160 pounds.
Appliance dolly plus one helper will get the cabinet down later in the week.

Steve