PDA

View Full Version : Garage door install help.

Dave Lehnert
03-10-2011, 2:05 PM
A local church has a garage that the doors need replacing. How hard of a job is it to do an install yourself? Money is not the issue. They are just concerned with outsiders (installers) knowing what equipment is stored there. The place is in a very remote area.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2011, 2:31 PM
Try Dr. Google and search > garage door installation guide <. There appears to be some manuals that may answer the question for you.

This also depends on the type of door. I can think of a few types that may be in use. A single large panel, a rolling door or swing doors all have their own peculiarities.

A few church members and wives sounds like a good reason for a spring BBQ and work gathering.

Also, be careful the torsion springs may be easy to replace in certain positions, but when the weight of the door is removed those hinge arms can have a powerful kick.

jtk

Jerome Stanek
03-10-2011, 6:56 PM
ost of the doors that I installed have instructions that come with them

David Warkentin
03-10-2011, 7:40 PM
We have put up a bunch of doors and generally unless they are larger than 20 feet or so they are quite simple. Just be sure you get the springs in the right positon and use proper winding rods and stay out of the way of the rods while winding. They can kill you!!!

Larry Frank
03-10-2011, 8:34 PM
I put in two garage doors by Clopay and they were not too difficult and they even included a video. It had a torsion spring above the door which made me nervous but with the gear drive mechanism toi tighten it was safe and easy.

raul segura
03-11-2011, 8:34 AM
I replaced a spring, if you go to a garage-door web site they some times give PDFs for installations.
For springs I ran a felt pen along its length turned till the door hung in the middle. that's about right.
The line will tell you how many turnes to match both sides.

I dont recommend, but I used iron bars for cement as winding rods, about 2.5 ft. long and ground the ends to fit very snug and as deep as they would go.
Just like a table saw stay out of the way.

Ruhi Arslan
03-13-2011, 12:18 AM
My wife and I replaced our 20ft garage door (five segments). It is not difficult but you have to pay attention to what you are doing and why. I recommend to have not more than two "helpers". Things can go south pretty quickly if you have too many "opinions" flying around and one can get hurt badly very easily. I'd say the most difficult and dangerous part is taking the old door off.

John alder
03-17-2011, 1:58 PM
There are a few DIY videos on YouTube one is by "this old house".I replaced two by myself and when time came to raise them I used an old bumper jack and raised them in increments.