PDA

View Full Version : wood id help please...

Russell Eaton
03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
My mother in law had a tree removed and I got a 5' piece. I was told it was a elm tree, but the person was not sure. Anyhow the tree trunk is a possible bowl blank or 2, and this is the full trunk. It branched out and got thin right above the section you see in the picture. My daughter is in the picture for size reference, she it about 5' tall. Thanks for any help. Russell

charlie knighton
03-10-2011, 1:23 PM
really good size chuck, good gloat

as green as it is, elm will smell some, i really can not tell much from the picture, elm will have some well defined grain in it, i hope to attend Rob Wallace's wood id rotation in st paul this summer

Dan Forman
03-10-2011, 2:25 PM
The elm that I have experience with, Siberian elm, smells very funky when green, has about an inch and a half of light colored sap wood, and the heartwood is a reddish brown color. The bark is fairly thick. The smell is the most salient feature.

Dan

Russell Eaton
03-10-2011, 2:43 PM
Dan this does have a funky smell. The main body of the tree is only 5-6' tall.

Dan Forman
03-10-2011, 4:07 PM
Here is a link to a pic of some that I got a while ago ... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?117692-Rescued-a-bit-of-elm-today...&highlight=

Dan

Roger Chandler
03-10-2011, 4:40 PM
It is hard to tell from the picture, but elm is certainly a possibility. I have some chinese elm, and it has a resemblance to the tree you show. Elm has a very distinctive and bold grain structure with light and dark streaks well defined in the grain itself. It does make for some striking turnings.

Sid Matheny
03-11-2011, 11:36 PM
There are several different Elms but the bark just don't look like the Elms I have seen.

Sid

Russell Eaton
03-12-2011, 7:49 AM
I had a friend with a tree background look at this tree he said it is not a Elm. Still no clue. I will cut it up today, and seal the ends.