PDA

View Full Version : My 5hp original saw radial arm saw gloat.

keith ouellette
03-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I went and picked it up today. It is only the 3541 model heavy duty series ( I was hoping for the 3546 but I'm not complaining) which is listed as a 16" cross cut but I think it will actually do more than that with the 12" blade. It will make some good dados. It will take a 16" blade but only has a 12" on it now. I have not fired it up yet. No power where it was located so thats why I got it so cheap but it comes with a money back guarantee so I'm not worried.

I don't think its as nice as the one David Winer posted the other day but its still seems pretty darn good so far.

It cost me $250. If I don't find it useful I am sure I can re sell it.

It has 10/4 cable hooked to it. does anyone know if I can hook it up to my 220 service that has a 10/3? Would I just not hook up the red wire?

Joe Angrisani
03-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Very nice. You kinda suck. Let us know how she cleans up and fires up.

Mike Heidrick
03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Why would it cross cut more with a smaller blade? Looks good.

Cary Falk
03-10-2011, 1:04 PM
Looks kind of rusty. I think you got taken.:D WOW $250 from $400. Remind me not to try to sell anything to you.:eek:

Mike Schuch
03-10-2011, 1:59 PM
Why would it cross cut more with a smaller blade? Looks good.

You have to start a larger diameter blade farther behind the work piece to clear the work piece using up some of your slide capacity.

Looks like a great score!

It has 10/4 cable hooked to it. does anyone know if I can hook it up to my 220 service that has a 10/3? Would I just not hook up the red wire?

10/4? That sounds like a 3 phase machine to me. The price also reflects a 3ph motor. I can't imagine a single phase saw wired from the factory to require a neutral leg (4th wire) to operate. If someone parted together the wiring and didn't want to spring for a 220v contactor coil I can see having to have a neutral for a 120v coil. As much as 10/4 stranded costs I really can't see someone substituting it for 10/3 if it wasn't needed for some reason. Was there no plug on the power cable? It really sounds like a 3 phase machine to me.

Neil Brooks
03-10-2011, 2:17 PM
If I were to tell you that "you suck" really doesn't cover my feelings about this, and that -- instead -- "I hate your guts ! --" would THAT give you some indication of just how envious I am ???

Dude. That said ... you DO suck.

Enjoy it. That's a BEAST of a saw. Not too many better, within anything even resembling a fair price.

Does it all seem tight, snug, and properly aligned, or ... do you have some work ahead ??

keith ouellette
03-10-2011, 4:29 PM
:eek:Wow; thanks for all the kind words so far. :D Before people go hating me to much lets make certain that it works well.

To answer a few comments

Yes it has a converter. It is a 3 phase machine and the 10/4 cable going from the convertor has white,black,green and red. Its 5hp with out a doubt. The motor is pretty dang big.

It seems very tight. I couldn't wiggle the column or the head or arm even by the slightest mount. As far as I know I only need a table for it as I left the one that came with it behind.

I offered $250 because it wasn't a necessity and I have to get new dados to use with it. Plus No one could turn it on and try the motor out. I actually offered $200 and explained my reason why. He countered $250. I told him I knew it was worth more but I didn't really NEED a 5hp RAS. No one else was interested either. Just my lucky day I guess.

David Winer
03-10-2011, 5:23 PM
I don't think its as nice as the one David Winer posted the other day but its still seems pretty darn good so far.

It cost me $250.
What a good deal. All that cast iron is impressive. Cosmetically, it seems to need some rust removal from various nuts, and not much else. If the running tests show o.k. you have yourself a terrific machine at a steal price.

This could set a new standard for "You suck." gloats, RAS Category.

-- David Winer

david brum
03-10-2011, 6:35 PM
That's a beautiful piece of machinery.

John McClanahan
03-10-2011, 6:59 PM
A converter? That would be a double gloat! Now you have 3 phase power for other machines in the future.

John

Scott T Smith
03-10-2011, 7:18 PM

Keith, depending upon the HP you can run 10/2 with ground or 10/3 to your phase converter from your load center (may need 8/3 if it's a 7 hp RPC), but based on it being 3 phase you'll need 10/4 from the converter to the saw.

Sean Nagle
03-10-2011, 7:32 PM
Very nice. You kinda suck. Let us know how she cleans up and fires up.

Joe, I don't think you're allowed to tell anyone that they suck since YOU STILL SUCK after your score a few weeks ago :)

keith ouellette
03-10-2011, 7:58 PM
I don't think I have explained the wiring situation very well. I posted a picture this time. There is a small cable going from the convertor up into the arm. I think this goes to the On/Off switch on the saw (there is nothing else up there for it to go to) then the the 2 --10/4 cables that come out of the convertor; one goes to the motor and the other end is where the plug would go.

So are the red and black hot? Green ground? white?? No neutral in this situation so white is an extra ground or just left un used in this situation?

Thanks for any and all comments and tips.

John McClanahan
03-10-2011, 9:33 PM
I would take the electrical cover off the converter to see if one of the incoming wires is not used.

John

Scott T Smith
03-10-2011, 9:50 PM
Keith, are there three different jacketed cables coming out of the static converter? If so, my guess is that there is a 10/3 feeding it with power, and a 10/4 feeding the RAS, and a second 10/4 that fed an adjacent piece of 3-phase equipment.

keith ouellette
03-10-2011, 11:48 PM
There seems to be 1 going in and 2 going out. One of the two going to the motor and the other of the 2 out (the smaller of the two) seems to go to the switch.

Joe Angrisani
03-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Joe, I don't think you're allowed to tell anyone that they suck since YOU STILL SUCK after your score a few weeks ago :)

I thought that put me in a better position to make the ruling that Keith kinda sucks. I'm still somewhat new to the rules here. ;)

I will elevate it to a full You Suck once he gets it running and cutting.

Steve Leverich
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Kieth, I would also take the cover off - but that box doesn't look big enough to house a 5 horse static converter, I'm wondering if it's just a 3 phase CONTACTOR and if so, you'd still need 3-phase power IN and OUT. The 2 wire cord to the switch is just to pull in the contactor if that's the case. (a contactor is just a herkin' relay)

Hope I'm wrong, but kinda doubt it... Steve

keith ouellette
03-11-2011, 4:37 PM
Kieth, I would also take the cover off - but that box doesn't look big enough to house a 5 horse static converter, I'm wondering if it's just a 3 phase CONTACTOR and if so, you'd still need 3-phase power IN and OUT. The 2 wire cord to the switch is just to pull in the contactor if that's the case. (a contactor is just a herkin' relay)

Hope I'm wrong, but kinda doubt it... Steve

You were right. I posted a picture in the work shop forum of the inside of what we thought was the convertor and someone told me that it was NOT a phase convertor.

So , seeing I couldn't really put any extra money into the saw ( I still needed to buy special dado blades for it as well) and seeing that I needed to make a final decision on the saw today and an affordable convertor was not handy; I took the saw back for a refund. I know I should have kept it but I don't have the money to risk on the saw not working. If I waited I would have had to keep the saw, pay for the convertor and hope it worked. Probably would have but still a chance. My luck with tools thus far is not to good.

Steve Leverich
03-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Kieth, I know what you mean about luck - Normally I LIKE being right about stuff but not THIS time - sorry, man, that woulda been a sweet setup... Steve