PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk brooch/pendant - router setup

Alan Zenreich
03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Several weeks ago, our older son called and asked if we could do something for a present... along the lines of the steampunk style.

I thought some of you might like to see this almost-completed piece. The turning is done, it's had a coat of antique oil, and still needs some additional detail sanding, buffing and hardware.

Originally we had intended this to be a pendant, but Lauren thinks she prefers it as a brooch, so we're waiting for some pin-back hardware to arrive. I'll share some of the other pieces as we assemble them.

So, we thought this would be an opportunity for a few firsts.

This one of 8 pieces in our first attempt at casting in polyester resin
This is the first time we're inlaying resin into a wood pendant
This is the first time working with ebony
This is the first time using a dremel as a router mounted on the lathe to do indexed detailing
We didn't make many photos of the process... figuring that once we had a better handle on the casting process we'd do a step by step.

So far, we've turned 3 of the castings, but this one in particular shows some simple indexed routing on the lathe, and I thought I'd share it with you all.

There were lots of little details to work out and we're enjoying the challenges, for example:

where to get the watch parts
using resin we bought a year ago that wasn't curing as expected
turning the cast blanks to size
painting the backs of the blanks
preparing the mortise for the inlay
doing the inlay process
shaping the wood and inlay
cutting the "gear" teeth around the perimeter
The mount for the Dremel cordless router is taken from a Dremel drill press. The press has a vertical 1" tube , so I tapped a 5/8"x20tpi hole in a piece of 1" aluminum rod and threaded it to the post of a modular tool holder.

The Dremel press mechanism is not what you might call precision, but it was good enough for this project... and has me looking for a more robust mount.

I hope some of you find this useful/entertaining.

Dan Hintz
03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Always liked the Steampunk style stuff. This piece looks nice, but it would be more "Steampunkish" if you added more than just gears to the center (find random bits and bobbles, like pen-cap clips, thin copper tubing, etc.)... shake up he color just a bit, maybe antique some of the pieces.

Alan Zenreich
03-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Dan,

Agreed.

This is just one of 8 castings... here's a quick shot of two of the others... one even has a bird in it < vbg >

John Terefenko
03-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I like the idea. This idea is being used alot in the pen making world now which I am about togive a try. As far as finding things like this go to ebay. You can either buy whole watches and take them apart or you can buy individual parts of watches. I buy the whole watches.

My question is what is the attachment for the router thingy. Can this be purchased for any lathe??? Do you have a web site for it???

Thom Sturgill
03-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Very nice, I know some guys (sons and sil) that would love a steampunk beltbuckle. Makes me furiously to think. Care to share the source for the watch parts?

Alan Zenreich
03-10-2011, 12:00 PM
John,

As mentioned earlier, this is a Dremel Drill Press (Dremel 220-01 Rotary Tool Work Station (http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-220-01-Rotary-Tool-Station/dp/B00068P48O))
It's inexpensive ($38) and reasonably versatile.

I removed the mount from the vertical tube and slid it over a 1" piece of aluminum rod that I tapped to fit the top of a modular threaded tool post. Several companies sell these modular... most using a 5/8"x20tpi thread (Woodcraft posts use a coarser thread though).

I'll try to make some additional detailed photos soon.

Alan Zenreich
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Thom,

I don't know exactly where Lauren got the watch parts. She had two deliveries from different sources... I think both from ebay. I'll try to find out.

Russell Eaton
03-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Good job on the casting. I like the way you modified the dremel for the tool post, I guess that would be worth 2 thumbs up.

Tim Thiebaut
03-10-2011, 12:18 PM
I love those! That is a fantasic idea, you do know if you went to Burning Man with that you would seriously make a fortune selling those. That Dremel attachment is a brillant idea, I dont have that size tube on my tool rest but might be able to mod something. Thank you so much for this post, your turnings are very nice, and some very good information contained in here as well!

Peter Hay in Aus
03-10-2011, 4:00 PM
185945Alan,

Some years ago making cartridge pens I devised a holder for fitting in where the tool post sits in my old metal lathe. I have lots of pics but my recall on how I labelled them is not good. Quick pic from long ago. My main holder is an aluminium extrusion that is almost a neat fit inside for the dremel, since for you this would be a breeze as it was for me I cut from a length of the extrusion and drilled, tapped four holes using allen headed screws with locknuts. Takes but a minute to safely lock the dremel just over finger tight. The rest you can adapt the pic shows how I cut tensile steel for fitting a circlip. Dozens of applications. If you have a mill I can show you how to use a small finishing router mounted to the quill for absolute results. I am a Dremel fan but as you say the attachment you used is quite primitive in that it moves around. Simply love the Steampunk work you have done. A pm with your addy and I can look up pics of my mill conversion I use to make hex pens.
Incidentally in this country that extrusion is used to hinge truck tailgates so it is sturdy.

Have success continued. Regards Peter.

Jon McElwain
03-10-2011, 4:13 PM
Those look like fun projects! I have had great luck with the Oneway Drill Wizard. Very precise - well, as precise as the drill that you put in it. The slide mechanism is solid with little to no play.

Alan Zenreich
03-10-2011, 4:51 PM
John,

I've been looking at the Oneway Drill Wizard for a while. It looks like it will be a good fit for a new Trend T4 router I recently bought.
I'll have to see if the Drill Wizard can be positioned close to the center of the lathe (necessary for these small pendants). With the Dremel as I've rigged it up, I can swing it around on the bar, so I can position it most anywhere, at any angle.

This is my first attempt at this kind of detailing, so I'm having fun exploring the options.

Bernie Weishapl
03-10-2011, 9:36 PM
Looks good Alan. Be interested in seeing more.

Jon McElwain
03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Not sure if this will be close enough to center for you or not...

Here is one showing the angle. I think you can see the etched angle marks on the base in the first photo.

The drill wizard mounts to your banjo. The drill center is offset by a half inch or so, so as long as the center of your tool rest post can be within 1/2 inches of the center of your spindle, you will be able to drill to the center of your piece. Some banjos may have to be set parallel to the bed ways to achieve this.

I am not familiar with the router you mentioned, but the mount on the drill wizard is for a 1-5/8 (I think) drill collar. If your router will fit into a collar that size, you'll be good to go. The drill wizard comes with a 1" tool rest post, but Oneway is usually pretty accommodating if you need a custom post for a 3/4" or something.

EDIT: Just looked up the Trend T4 router - I think you are right, it should work with the drill wizard just fine.

Alan Zenreich
03-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the photos Jon. Is the mounting collar positionable (forward or back)? I can't tell from the pictures. I'm wondering if the mount can be positioned close enough to the work to allow a short router bit to plunge effectively without the wizard banging into the work. I may give Oneway a call tomorrow and ask them.

Jon McElwain
03-11-2011, 12:02 AM
I have my drill in backwards in the photos - threw the drill in to take a couple photos. If you turn it around, there is much more clearance. That said, the mounting collar is not positionable.

Mark Hubl
03-11-2011, 2:13 AM
Thanks for posting these. They look really good. Seeing the process is great! Look forward to seeing some more casting stuff.

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 6:03 AM
Having NO idea what steampunk was (and not being as well read as Dan Hintz!), I have not previously visited this thread. I sure missed a good one!! Alan, this is good stuff!

Add in the comments by Peter, and those of Jon, and this is a treasure trove of ideas!! Great work Alan, and thanks for the contributions from the others, too.

Dan Hintz
03-11-2011, 6:45 AM
Having NO idea what steampunk was (and not being as well read as Dan Hintz!), I have not previously visited this thread.
I'm just a geek... all geeks know Steampunk :p It's simply a "re-imagining" of a time/place where magic/science mix with old western-style scenarios. Imagine a cowboy/gunslinger that throws his arm forward and has his gun placed into his hand automatically by some mechanical contrivance. It's usually denoted by lots of spinning cogs, brass/copper pipes, and other doodads that have no immediate obvious purpose, but add to the look of pre-industrial society finally understanding steam engines.

Cheryl A. Prince
03-11-2011, 6:54 AM
The pendants/brooches are very cool! I've been thinking about playing with epoxy and "found items" for insets into turnings as well. Did you purchase a mold to pour the epoxy into or did you create your own mold? You've created some very intresting pieces that have set my own mental gears to turning...now I just need one last snow day to get out into the shop!

Thom Sturgill
03-11-2011, 6:55 AM
... It's usually denoted by lots of spinning cogs, brass/copper pipes, and other doodads that have no immediate obvious purpose, but add to the look of pre-industrial society finally understanding steam engines.
It's also hallmarked by the ideas that electricity does not work particularly well (Armstrong's invention and innovation being missing) , and manufacturing is still the place of the master craftsman. Lots of brass/copper, leather and wood, very Victorian.

John Keeton
03-11-2011, 7:01 AM
...It's simply a "re-imagining" of a time/place where magic/science mix with old western-style scenarios. Imagine a cowboy/gunslinger that throws his arm forward and has his gun placed into his hand automatically by some mechanical contrivance. It's usually denoted by lots of spinning cogs, brass/copper pipes, and other doodads that have no immediate obvious purpose, but add to the look of pre-industrial society finally understanding steam engines.Dan, apparently my efforts toward being a recluse are working! Thanks for the info - at least I have been educated today, and won't feel the need to retain anything else!

Alan Zenreich
03-11-2011, 2:04 PM
Cheryl, I used paper bathroom Dixie cups as molds.
To reduce the diameter of the resulting blank, and to square up the back and sides, I placed a 5/8" short aluminum rod into a Beall collet chuck.
A bit of turner's double face tape affixed the front of the blank to the rod, and used the tailstock for additional support while reducing the diameter.
Then I removed the tailstock and gently thinned out the back. I prefer using round bit carbide tools for this process.
When the blank has been turned, I used MicroMesh sanding to 12,000 grit, then painted the backs and sides with black enamel paint.

When we do our next batch, I'll ease (round) the corners of the back of the blank a bit to remove the hard edge and any potential visibility of the hard edge.

The trick is dealing with the casting fumes. They didn't bother me too much, but even with ventilation, my bride didn't like it at all, so we're looking at alternatives. It's likely that we'll replace the particulate filters with organic filters in her 3M BreatheEasy respirator.... or find some better ventilation solution.

Alan Zenreich
03-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Because some of you have been so kind with your comments about the piece in the beginning of this thread, I thought you might like to see a few of the other pieces from our first adventure in casting. This is a quick photo using my couch as a background.

These aren't quite finished. Right now it's just one coat of antique oil. When they are completely dry, I'll likely buff then wax.

Finally, we'll attach the jewelry findings so we can add the neckaces. At least one of them will remain a brooch... we got in some pin backs that have integrated bails so the wearer will have options to use as a pin or a pendant.

We may use pretty simple necklaces, perhaps black velour or lace... keeping with the Victorian era fashion for Steampunk-ish items.

The dark wood is ebony (I forget the origin)... the lighter wood is black and white ebony.

I hope to make photos of the finished pieces soon.

Mark Hubl
03-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Alan,

I think those really came out looking sharp. Very nice work.

Nate Davey
03-13-2011, 10:54 PM
Wow, those came out nice. Very Steampunk'esk

Dan Hintz
03-14-2011, 6:15 AM
I like the two on the lower right... not too busy and more than just brass color inside. Good job.