PDA

View Full Version : Live Free or Die Indianapolis?

Ryan Stagg
03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I was planning on driving over to the LFOD auction in Indianapolis on the 18th - I've never been to one.

How does the tailgate sale work? It's listed as starting at 7am, and the auction starts at 9am. Does the tailgate sale extend into the auction time, or does it zip up by 9am? Is there typically a pretty good 'tailgate' showing in Indy, or is it spartan?

'Just trying to plan how early we should get there.

Mark Wyatt
03-10-2011, 8:27 PM
Ryan,

The tailgate generally depends on the weather. It normally starts a little before dawn (with a few guys marching around with flashlights and a few folks setting up tables) and runs up to about 10 minutes before the auction starts. The guys with flashlights are always looking for wrenches. Why is that? A lot of folks will only set up for about an hour Friday or Saturday morning. I've seen as many as 15 sellers over the last few years and as few as 2 (cold, windy day).

Are you planning on attending the auction?

Ryan Stagg
03-11-2011, 9:45 AM
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the info. I am planning to attend, my wife and I will be driving from Cincinnati on Friday morning, hopefully early enough to catch the 'tailgaters' for a bit.

Mark Wyatt
03-11-2011, 4:06 PM
Ryan,

Unless it is raining or snowing I'll likely be out there selling something.

There is a preview event the night before the auction. Most of the seats for the auction are claimed during the preview. Literally. They give you a card and a piece of tape and you tape your name to a seat. I'll try to remember to put names on seats for you and your wife so you don't spend 4 hours standing during the auction.

-Mark