PDA

View Full Version : Laminate plywood?

John Schreiber
04-14-2003, 11:24 AM
I want to make up a bench for the front porch and if I sacrifice most of the "fineness" of the woodworking I might actually get it done this summer.

The original plan was wainscot in a morticed and tennoned frame. Now I'm wondering if I can glue something like this "Ply Bead" http://www.gp.com/panels/plybdpanels.html to some half inch marine plywood and use that as a structural part of the bench.

I figure on
1) cutting the panels to size, (largest 25" x 46)
2) using the water resistant Titebond,
3) placing them on a flat cement floor,
4) sink a couple of brads in the corners to keep things from sliding and
5) piling sandbags on top

The bench will be painted and is designed to maximize ventilation and minimize any standing water on the plywood.

Will this work? Please educate a supplicant who would like to do fine woodworking, but is willing to settle for what he can do between diaper changes.:confused:

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-14-2003, 11:57 AM
I purchase the plybead as you call it) at Lowe's.
It's 3/8 or thereabouts thick.
Put a couple of "stringers" (1x3) up the back to stiffen it.
I put the plybead in a frame to strengthen the corners of the back.
Let me see if I have a photo - wait one----

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Well I found the correct photo.
Now, it is made of #2 pine.
The lid lifts to have storage in the seat.
Primer coat of good oil base paint and thinned with one pint of thinner to a gallon.
Two coats of a good oil base paint for finish coats.
If you want to get picky - glue pieces of pressure treated lumber on each of the 4 feet. That's what I did for a book case type shelving unit for a car repair garage - becuase they use the hose to wash the floor occassionally, and I didn't want water wicking up the pine feet.

John Schreiber
04-16-2003, 2:26 PM
Howdy Daniel,

Your bench has a lot in common with what I'm planning. Thanks for the picture.