PDA

View Full Version : Flag Display Case ideas needed

Steve Clarkson
03-10-2011, 8:23 AM
My mother just gave me the burial flags for my father (Korean War) and grandfather (WW1) along with other miscellaneous stuff (medals, dog tags, uniform buttons, etc).

I'd like to make a display case for each, but need some ideas. I have some extra 1/2" thick clear cast acrylic that I would like to use and I was thinking of incorporating some mirrored acrylic and rowmark.

My biggest concern is that if I try to make the standard triangle shape, that the corners won't be flush since I can't bevel the acrylic......so I think it will need to be rectangular unless someone has an idea to get around this issue. I was also thinking about making a rectangular section under the triangle for metals and such.

I would like to incorporate a picture of each in their uniform, little "pockets" or sections for the dog tags, metals and such, and little plaques with their names, ranks, dates of service, etc. I was thinking of making the "back wall" out of mirrored acrylic and maybe using blue rowmark for the Air Force logo somewhere in it.

If I made the flag section rectangular instead of triangular, I was thinking that I could put either the picture or the plaques in the upper right and left corners.

I'd also like it to be made such that it can either be hung on a wall or put on a table top.

Lastly.......should it be permanently sealed or should it be allowed to be opened?

If anyone has an ideas for the design or can post pictures of other displays they have made, I would greatly appreciate it.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
03-10-2011, 9:50 AM
My father retired from the Navy and was given a shadow box of all his mementos. On top is his flag case. They are separate, but the same dimensions wide, so they appear to be one unit. You might try something like that. We did something a bit different for a customer. Attached is a picture. This was one of the first "outside the box" projects we did.
I think sealed is the way to go. It is nice to look at if it's not, but the dusting is too big of a pain!

Martin Boekers
03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Gary & Jessica that is really nice. Good work!

Steve check these guys out for some ideas;
www.spartacraft.com/flagcases.html (http://www.spartacraft.com/flagcases.html)

You may consider joining the two such as this.
It will be a big box to hold two memorial flags.

I have done plates here of a "Flat Globe Map"
with lines and arrows attached to the places
that the service members served through their
career. With a quick look it tells the story.

Marty

Marty

Gary and Jessica Houghton
03-10-2011, 5:37 PM
Thanks Martin, there's a long story behind that case.

The link you gave has a picture of exactly what my father has on the wall. It's the bottom one on the left of that page. His case on the bottom is just a lot bigger. You can purchase these shadow boxes at a number of places.

Steve, your ideas sound great.

Good luck with your project.

Steve Clarkson
03-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys......Marty, the bottom left one is the concept I was going for, but I think I may have to do something more like the one Gary/Jessica posted.....thanks for sharing that!

Matt Ranum
03-19-2011, 1:49 PM
Ed Sallee here on the creek has a very nice one he has done. Here is the thread for it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?109370-Flag-Case-is-Finished......&highlight=flag+case

I'm going to be making one similar to this for my Dad's flag as well.