PDA

View Full Version : Using the Roly Munroe Shear scraper

Richard Kennedy UK
03-10-2011, 7:09 AM
Has anyone got the shear scraper attachment for the Roly Hollowing tool? I have one but I can't figure out how to use it it seems to me that the nut that holds the cutter on gets in the way of the edge if someone can explain it to me I would appreciate it. I have just spent the last two days making 2 small hollow forms about 6 x 4 I have destroyed both of them trying to use a sorby swan necked scraper which is a bit to big for the opening I am feeling a bit fed up with a lack of progress since getting back into the shop so could do with some ideas! The Rolly is a smaller shaft so I think will avoid the twist and snap I have had to endure!!!

Bill Hensley
03-10-2011, 8:49 AM
Richard I use a Woodcut Proforme tool that is similar to what you have except my scraper angle isn't pre-set. It appears your angle is set for a safe entry but you would slowly rotate CCW into your cut. I typically scrape with the tool angled at ~45 degrees slightly above center line.

I also have the same Sorby scraper and I put that in the same category as the skew, use with extreme caution.

I would suggest you try the scraper on a bowl or open form so you can see and experiment for best results. I use my frequently because it does such a nice job of cleaning up prior to sanding. Once you learn to finesse it you should be able to minimize starting with the 80 grit gouge. Hope that helps!

Greg Haugen
03-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Richard,

I completely agree. I had the "hybrid" and the screw/nut hit as much as the edge. I ended up swapping out the hardware for something that was lower profile. Or you could get a larger "scraper" made.

Great in theory, troublesome in execution.