PDA

View Full Version : What to use to hold the shelf/door level

Bill Huber
03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
I have this cabinet almost done, the open areas are for square baskets and the top is a door that opens.

I am not sure what to use on the door, I have those brackets like in the first image but I really don't like them, you have to push them in to start closing the door. I could use some nice looking small chain on each side.

What do you think would be the best, I am sure my grand daughter will set things on it when its open so I want it to be somewhat strong but I also want it to close easy. I have to mag latches that will keep it closed.

Your thoughts

185864 185865 185863

Tom Ewell
03-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Perhaps a friction lid support or even a gas support

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=158-423&LARGEVIEW=ON

Bill Huber
03-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Perhaps a friction lid support or even a gas support

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=158-423&LARGEVIEW=ON

I like those, now I have to figure out how much it weights.

Joe Kieve
03-10-2011, 8:16 AM
Bill....have you considered some wooden slide-outs (pull-outs) mounted underneath the shelf that supports the fold out lid. They would hold the lid and you wouldn't have chains, etc. in the way when it's open. Just another thought.

joe

Bill Huber
03-10-2011, 8:44 AM
Bill....have you considered some wooden slide-outs (pull-outs) mounted underneath the shelf that supports the fold out lid. They would hold the lid and you wouldn't have chains, etc. in the way when it's open. Just another thought.

joe

That is an idea, but I am not sure I will have room with the baskets setting in, I will have to try and see how much room I have.

Jim Rimmer
03-10-2011, 1:56 PM
I like those, now I have to figure out how much it weights.

Hold the door while standing on your bathroom scale. Then hand the door to your spouse and get back on the scale. :)

Darrin Davis
03-10-2011, 2:02 PM
Hold the door while standing on your bathroom scale. Then hand the door to your spouse and get back on the scale. :)

I think it would be more accurate if you had your wife hold the door while she stands on the scale, then have her hand you the door and ask her how much she weights!

Mike Schuch
03-10-2011, 2:20 PM
I think it would be more accurate if you had your wife hold the door while she stands on the scale, then have her hand you the door and ask her how much she weights!

Wow! I didn't realize I made such a massively heavy door! I guess I will have to look into some sort of hydraulic lift! :eek:

I have never seen those dampers before. They look like they would be perfect!

Bill Huber
03-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Well I am somewhat lazy and didn't want to unscrew all the hinge screws at this time.

So I took some scrap of the same plywood which was 2"x12" and put it on my good package scale. Then just calculated the weight per square inch and then calculated the number square inches in the door and multiplied it out. Worked fine and I ordered the lifts.

Thanks again Tom.....

Tom Ewell
03-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Let us know how they work out.