PDA

View Full Version : Storing plywood/bowing problem

Bryan Cramer
03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
I am building a shop cart to store plywood horizontally. The plywood will be leaned against a horizontal center divider. Will the plywood bow because it is unsupported in the middle. I will not store the plywood for a long time, but I don't want a bowed piece of $70 plywood. There is no ceiling space in my shop for storing it vertically, and no floor space to lay it flat. Will this be a problem? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I hope you understand what I mean. Its hard to transfer my hand drawn drawing to this site.:mad:

Thanks in advanced.

Keith Westfall
03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
If you make your centre divider with a slope on it, (doesn't have to be much) then your plywood can have full support as it leans against it.

Mike Cutler
03-10-2011, 9:22 AM
My lumber cart is a rolling "A" frame. The plywood is stored on edge. I know I've had two pieces, 8'x4', of finished Cherry ply on that cart for at least three years and they are still nice and flat.
I will say though that the ply is not resting against the frame. There is a sacrificial piece of MDF aginst the frame and the ply is leaning against the MDF face.