PDA

View Full Version : Bessy Clamps

Ole Anderson
03-09-2011, 9:42 PM
I was wandering the tool aisle at Lowe's tonight looking for a countersink drill and ran across the Bessy Clamp display. Wow, I didn't know Bessey made so many different clamps! I have the obligatory set of K body Besseys, and I thought that was about all they did, save for some bar clamps. Was I ever wrong. Metal and plastic spring clamps, regular and quick adjust C clamps, F bar clamps, big and small, they even sold a very inexpensive clamp assortment of something like 15 clamps for under $20. They had Bessey vises. I picked up a set of four 2 inch ratcheting spring clamps for $15 (a lot better than buying them individually at more than $6). Never saw anything like them before, but now that I get home, I see they aren't rated very well. Didn't think Bessey would put out junk. Time will tell.

shane lyall
03-09-2011, 10:53 PM
I have a couple of the mesh bags of Bessy spring clamps from Lowes. They workgreat except if they slip out of your hand while open they will snap shut so hard they will destroy themself. DAMHIKT. I usually will pick up 1 clamp if I'm running in there or the Borg (they have Jorgisons). I know everyone says you can never have too many but I thing I'm close. Between those and about 15 f-style from HF I'm betting I have 50!

Rick Fisher
03-10-2011, 3:34 AM
We sell Bessey at work.. Looking at their line up, they have a shocking amount of selection. I think I own about 40 Bessey clamps, all Tradesman screw clamps, and K-Bodies.. My favorite is actually the 7-1/4 throat Tradesman .. I only have 2, but always grab them before the 4" throat clamps.

John Fabre
03-10-2011, 4:00 AM
I was wandering the tool aisle at Lowe's tonight looking for a countersink drill and ran across the Bessy Clamp display. Wow, I didn't know Bessey made so many different clamps! I have the obligatory set of K body Besseys, and I thought that was about all they did, save for some bar clamps. Was I ever wrong. Metal and plastic spring clamps, regular and quick adjust C clamps, F bar clamps, big and small, they even sold a very inexpensive clamp assortment of something like 15 clamps for under $20. They had Bessey vises. I picked up a set of four 2 inch ratcheting spring clamps for $15 (a lot better than buying them individually at more than $6). Never saw anything like them before, but now that I get home, I see they aren't rated very well. Didn't think Bessey would put out junk. Time will tell.
Watch out for Bessey's that are Made In China, lesser quality sold by Lowe's. If they don't say Germany, there not true Bessey's.

My favorite is actually the 7-1/4 throat Tradesman .. I only have 2, but always grab them before the 4" throat clamps.
I like the 7" throat tradesman the best too.

Ole Anderson
03-10-2011, 9:11 AM
Watch out for Bessey's that are Made In China, lesser quality sold by Lowe's. If they don't say Germany, there not true Bessey's

I suspected that by the disparity in pricing. Lets see, my 2" ratcheting clamps were as as I look at the tag, drum roll, made in China. Oh boy...

Russell Smallwood
03-10-2011, 9:18 AM
I just picked up a pair of the Duo clamps

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images/DB_Detail/_48476__158047__.jpg

They are reversible via a little dial thingy. I originally got them for clamping T&G beadboard ceiling boards together while I nailed them but find myself reaching for them often. They are light and perform pretty well.

And yes, they seem a little cheap, but very handy.

My favorite Lowes clamp purchase this year, however were these:

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/quick-grip-2.jpg

First clamps I reach for these days.

Bryan Cowing
03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I bought several 6" Bessey C clamps, black paint, probably made for them in China. I don't like them as they don't have the square shaped threads. Bind up when tightened. Wish I could have bought Jorgenson's.

Callan Campbell
03-10-2011, 2:32 PM
Yep, the full line from Bessey is pretty impressive. Aside from the old and new K-body type, I too have a few of the Duo Clamps laying around and of the spring type Vario Clip?[spelling?]. My actual favorite Bessey clamp model is the large edge band clamps that grip on 3 sides and tighten with the single handle screw. A bit pricey, but almost automatic in ease of use when glueing edge banding to plywood to hide the ply edges. We can never have too many clamps, right?

Jay Jeffery
03-10-2011, 3:15 PM
Just search for Bessey clamps on Amazon.

I got that cheap set of 15 clamps for $20 from Lowes. The quality is not inline with the German made "real" Besseys but they are a real bargain considering what they cost. The bar clamps are light weight and I like them a lot. It's a great set for a beginner on a budget as a bunch of cheap clamps get you building faster than a one good one.

Gary Herrmann
03-10-2011, 5:25 PM
Woodpecker's is (or was) having a decent sale on Bessey tradesman clamps. I don' t think they had the 7" throat clamps, but they did have the beefier 4.5" thoat clamps.