PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Stanley 2 3/8 blade with Lie-Nielsen .140 thick blade

Mike Nguyen
03-09-2011, 5:39 PM
Hi,
I screwed up buying a Lie Nielsen .140 blade to replace the Stanley blade that came with my Stanley 5 1/2 type 18 plane. I did not read or thought that it's a Stanley replacement blade from Lie Nielsen which is .095 thick. Anyways, can I still make this .140 thick blade work with this plane? I don't mind filing the throat. I think I will need to buy the longer chip breaker screw and/or chip breaker from Lie Nielsen to make it work. Need advises from the expert.
Thanks
Mike

steve swantee
03-09-2011, 6:52 PM
Hey Mike
Yes it is possible to use a .140 iron in your plane-it will take a little work though. I put a .175 LN iron in my Stanley No8. Here's a link for you:http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?99429-Plane-Iron-Experiment&highlight=

Steve

steve swantee
03-09-2011, 7:01 PM
Hey Mike, just thought to mention that the epoxied-on tabs did not last. I ended up drilling a hole through each tab and the chipbreaker. Then I drove a small brass rod through the hole and peened the ends and filed them flush-no more problems. You may not need to do this, depends if your yoke is long enough for a .140 iron.

Steve

Mike Nguyen
03-09-2011, 7:17 PM
Thanks Steve. It seems like a challenge for a newbie like me. I have to think about if I want to proceed with this blade or find easy way out by buying another LV replacement blade and CB. I forgot about the chip breaker would not engage because of the thicker blade.

Sam Takeuchi
03-09-2011, 7:30 PM
If it's too much hassle, you can call up LN or the place you bought it from to exchange it to Stanley replacement blade.

Mike Nguyen
03-09-2011, 7:45 PM
If it's too much hassle, you can call up LN or the place you bought it from to exchange it to Stanley replacement blade.
I bought it from one of the member here so I can't exchange nor I want to do that anyways. I replaced my 4 /14 with LV replacement blade and chip breaker and liked it a lot so I thought I would try an LN replacement just to experiment with different blade from different maker. I probably will take Steve's approach by placing couple of tabs on the CB but I need to get a solder and learn how to use it first. I wonder a hot/cold solder would work here?
Mike