PDA

View Full Version : Universal Laser - engraving "squiggle"

Jeff Toro
03-09-2011, 1:19 PM
I have a ULS-25E for almost three years now. I bought it used from an an estate sale out of sate. I don't know the service record, but I've had nothing but success with it until the past couple weeks or so. I've noticed that when raster engraving horizontal lines that they come out with a "wow" or "squiggle" instead of a straight rectangle. When doing text or logos it the engraving seems to be just fine. If I engrave at one location and engrave again at the same location the wow may or may not be there. I've gotten some instructions from ULS on how to possibly fix the problem. They suggested that is it could be beam alignment or the x-axis control arm. The processes involved I'm not to comfortable with doing.

I can attach images this evening to better show you what I'm talking about.

Curious if anyone has encountered this in the past and what they did to fix.

The machine does get cleaned on a semi regular basis.

Mike Null
03-09-2011, 1:43 PM
Jeff

Welcome to SMC. I would urge you to try the fixes recommended by ULS. Sometimes this can be as simple as cleaning the tracks and bearings. It may require replacement of those items. Neither is difficult, nor is mirror alignment. Just take a little time to understand what they want you to do.

Mike Mackenzie
03-09-2011, 2:07 PM
Jeff,

If you get squiggly line in the horizontal direction it is related to the X Axis bearings. First try cleaning the rail real good top side and bottom side. After that you can try rotating the bearings in a clockwise direction. if both of these do not correct or make it better then replace the three X axis bearings.

Also one other thing to look for make sure that the lens is tight in the holder and the holder is tight on the carriage.

Jeff Toro
03-09-2011, 4:16 PM
Thank you! I'll give that a shot. I was talking with ULS and they strongly suggested replacing the x axis bearings since I haven't replaced them in the three years since I've had it and I've put through a decent about of work through this machine. So I did order them and they will be here tomorrow, so I'll just replacement when they come in.

Thanks, I'll repost with an update

Jeff Toro
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
So it turned out just to be the x-axis bearings. $145 and 15 minutes later, everything is back to engraving smooth and straight!!