PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Red Oak when routing edge

Bill Weissborn
03-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm in the process of making some molding to go on our new floors. It is what is commonly called "T-molding" covering the transition from one floor to the next. I'm using some red oak that I had on hand. It was kiln-dried, been sitting in a corner of the garage/shop for a couple of years. I'm using a basically brand-new 1" carbide round-over bit in the router.

As I route the edge the wood will sometimes just explode in large splinters instead nice small particles of saw dust. This is the first time I've worked red oak so I'm wondering if it is normal for this to happen? I've tried dialing up/down the router speed, the feed-rate, even tried a climbing cut. Nothing seems to prevent it from happening.

Thoughts, suggestions welcome.

Bill W

Lee Schierer
03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes it is normal. When the grain of the wood is at a certain angle to the cutting edge, it will sometimes tend to splinter. You can reduce this problem by taking light cuts or by climb cutting the areas where the grain is reversed. Normally you want to route --->////// where the slashes represent grain. When you encounter reversed grain ---->\\\\\\\ your cutter can lift the grain instead of cutting it. The result can be pretty violent. It pays to examine pieces you are routing to check for areas of reversed grain and make your cuts accordingly. Make sure you understand what climb cutting is and the potential hazards before you try doing it and always take a very light cut when climb cutting.

Added thought: By taking a light cut you can also get a feel for your wood and tell if it will tend to splinter. You can mark those areas with chalk and climb cut them on the next pass. By sneaking up on the final profile you get a chance to avoid major tear out. If you get a big chip out and can locate the chip. Glue it back in place and make the cut again. The repair will be all but invisible.

shane lyall
03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Look at your grain direction. Red oak will sometime route perfect one way and blow out like your talking about when going the other. You kinda have to look at it like your feeding it thru a planer. The grain needs to come from low to high. Somebody jump in and help me say what I'm trying to get across! LOL! I know what you need to do but can't describe it. I use a lot of red oak but it can be a little touchy at times.

shane lyall
03-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Lee! You must have posted while I was typing. That what I was trying to say!

Prashun Patel
03-09-2011, 12:44 PM
I've gotten this kind of 'blow out' with ash as well.
I climb cut around corners, but the best solution for me has been to take many light passes.

Chris Fournier
03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Grain direction is key. In my shop I'd far prefer to make this simple molding using a dado head - no exploding!

Matt Day
03-09-2011, 4:00 PM
Don't overlook Prashun's suggestion of taking light cuts - that's key as well.

Bill Weissborn
03-09-2011, 4:13 PM
Lighter cuts were probably the one thing I didn't try. I did try climbing cut (which I hate to do for safety reasons) but it was a full-bore cut.

Thanks I'll see how it goes this weekend when I'm able to get back to it.

Bill

Rich Engelhardt
03-09-2011, 4:24 PM
Exciting isn't it? :O

I had a piece blow out on me last year when I was making some trim. It tore off a huge chunk and threw it down the driveway.
Light - very light - cuts are what helps keep the excitment down.

Josiah Bartlett
03-09-2011, 9:28 PM
It also helps to hog away most of the material to be removed with the table saw first.