PDA

View Full Version : Black Band-it

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok, I actually liked this piece until I dyed the band on it black with black stain then I thought it looked quite ugly. Not sure where I went wrong here, cause Iv'e seen other pieces where black and contrasting white wood looks pretty good together. Also I found that I need to condition the wood before adding any color of stain especially on a punkier wood like this one was, on the inside of the bowl it absorbed the stain in certain areas leaving blothes so this piece was going downhill quite fast.

So I decide I wanted to see if a finish over the outside would look any better and decided to use my wipe on poly, well I put 2 coats on any wasn't seeing any improvements cosmetically so I stopped. Also was having problems with the textured area putting the WOP on with a brush, it was just building up to much so wasn't sure how to apply to that area or maybe this was the wrong kind of finish all together for this project.

Anyway would like to hear your thoughts on this one and where I could have changed things to make it better, thanks.185791185792

Doug W Swanson
03-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I actually like it. About the only thing that might make it better IMO would have been to sand a little of the stain off of the textured area. Otherwise it looks great in the photos.....

Dale Miner
03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Since you asked, in my opinion, the band is too wide. The top of the band is located pretty well, maybe just a touch to low, but the excess width is what catches my eye negatively.

Texture is a problem with film finishes. Best to spray textured areas, or use an oil finish on them.

Lter,
Dale M

John Keeton
03-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Ron, I agree with Dale on the size and placement. The thing one needs to consider is that most pieces (bowls, art, etc.) is viewed at a downward angle - similar to the angle at which you took these pics. As you probably noticed, even though the band is fairly high on the bowl, the width consumes the majority of the viewable area on the side, and the extra width (compared to the lower part of the bowl) makes it even more prominent.

A more narrow band would work much better.

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Also I might add that the pics actually make this piece look a little better and this bowl looks better upside down, lol.

Thom Sturgill
03-09-2011, 1:07 PM
To add to John and Dale's statements. Turning the bowl over alters the perception as you see more of the bottom so proportionally less band, and the bowl looks better. This is one of the challenges of turning, being able to see what a piece will look like once removed from the lathe. I do also agree that sanding off some of the stain on the band so that the peaks are lighter might help.

Darren Jamieson
03-09-2011, 1:15 PM
Ron I to like the bowl but with the changes made that were already mentioned it could look better. I have just recently learned that the WOP could be applied with a brush which would get in the texture better and then you could use a sponge to blot the eccess out of the texture after a minute or so.

Mark Hubl
03-09-2011, 2:09 PM
I think it looks pretty good. Agree with Dale and John on the band, up a smidge and just a bit narrower. I think you did a good job on the dying. I have done some of this and it is always a bit dicey. Depending on the wood the dye can really travel. I also like the texture, that adds a nice touch.

Richard Madden
03-09-2011, 2:17 PM
I do agree that the dyed band should be narrower, but I'd say it's a great effort on your part. Keep experimenting...that's the fun of it all.

Steve Vaughan
03-09-2011, 4:49 PM
Agree with what's already been said - a bit narrower band, and moved up a bit closer to the edge - but actually, just a bit narrower might be all it needs. Experimenting is a good thing. I'd agree too about spraying the finish on the piece. Having said that, it really is a nice looking piece.

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 6:36 PM
Ron, I agree with Dale on the size and placement. The thing one needs to consider is that most pieces (bowls, art, etc.) is viewed at a downward angle - similar to the angle at which you took these pics. As you probably noticed, even though the band is fairly high on the bowl, the width consumes the majority of the viewable area on the side, and the extra width (compared to the lower part of the bowl) makes it even more prominent.

A more narrow band would work much better.
Couldn't be better said, yes now that you cleared that up for me I totally agree. Thanks, always learning something.

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 6:39 PM
To add to John and Dale's statements. Turning the bowl over alters the perception as you see more of the bottom so proportionally less band, and the bowl looks better. This is one of the challenges of turning, being able to see what a piece will look like once removed from the lathe. I do also agree that sanding off some of the stain on the band so that the peaks are lighter might help.

Yep your right, so thats why it looked better to me upside down.

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 6:41 PM
Ron I to like the bowl but with the changes made that were already mentioned it could look better. I have just recently learned that the WOP could be applied with a brush which would get in the texture better and then you could use a sponge to blot the eccess out of the texture after a minute or so.

Sounds good Daren, yeah I never thought of doing that, good point.

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 6:46 PM
Well thanks everyone for the helpful advise and corrective criticism, your knowledge is sure going to help me a lot. So much to learn about this stuff, but its a great time doing it and hell wood is free right, well some of it. Thanks again guys.:)

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Ron - nice bowl! As fasr as the black band, I like the idea of lightly sanding just the tips of the textured area. I believe it would actually add to the texture element by adding contrast and also would help to break up the single black band.

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Ron - nice bowl! As fasr as the black band, I like the idea of lightly sanding just the tips of the textured area. I believe it would actually add to the texture element by adding contrast and also would help to break up the single black band.
Several people have said that now, so what the heck I'm going to give it a whirl, makes sense to me.