PDA

View Full Version : What kind of clamps to buy?

Shawn Swafford
01-23-2005, 7:34 PM
I need to buy some clamps and don't know what kind I need and the amounts. I was looking at the bar clamps from Rockler that is their design. Are bar clamps good or are there better choices? I am looking to buy a set of start up clamps and can spend around $150 on them now. I know that doesn't buy many clamps. Help me spend my money :) .

Shawn

John Shuk
01-23-2005, 7:47 PM
Bessey is a good clamp and Lee valley has a good deal on them right now.

Don Martindale
01-23-2005, 7:56 PM
What are you planning to clamp? There are different purposes for each. In what I do I use mostly cam clamps, & spool clamps. What kind of work are you planning?....don

Shawn Swafford
01-23-2005, 7:58 PM
Don,

I was thinking about drawers, some cabinets, and who knows what else. I assume I will be doing a little of everything at some point.

Shawn

Kent Cori
01-23-2005, 8:03 PM
I recommend the Besseys too. I know they are expensive but they are the ones I reach for 90% of the time. There is simply nothing better.

The Lee Valley special is a good deal so think about taking advantage of it.

Jim Young
01-23-2005, 9:29 PM
I'll add to the Bessey vote. So far I use my Besseys by far, then come the Quick grip clamps. I have pipe clamps, beam clamps and those annoying wooden clamps and hardly use any of them.

Shawn Swafford
01-23-2005, 9:41 PM
Sounds like the Bessey's are the way to go. They don't give them away though! I think I will try to buy two sets of the larger clamps. They are out of stock until April but at least you can get the low price locked in. Thanks for the help!

Tom LaRussa
01-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Sounds like the Bessey's are the way to go. They don't give them away though! I think I will try to buy two sets of the larger clamps. They are out of stock until April but at least you can get the low price locked in. Thanks for the help!
Shawn,

Looks like I'm going to have to be the lone dissenter.

I'm sure Bessies are wonderful and all, (even though they are, for some strange reason, named after a cow), but for someone "looking to buy a set of start up clamps" for "around $150" I think they are completely counter productive.

How many of those buggers can you buy for $150? Maybe four?

Then what?

Say you're gluing up panels. (With only four clamps they'd better be short panels.)

Okay, the first (short) panel is glued and clamped.

Now what?

Oh gee, better shut down the shop for a day until you can clamp the next panel.

That's six days to glue up just the doors on a decent sized breakfront, and you haven't even started on the carcass yet. In fact, you probably aren't going to start on the carcass until next year, because four clamps probably ain't gonna do it.

Bob Smalser
01-23-2005, 10:45 PM
http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/6035832/81088736.jpg

I find the Bessey's handy for bottom clamps set on a good index like a machine top or assembly table because they are accurate and clamp nice and square.

Other than that, I find them somewhat of a pain in the butt as they can be slow to use...especially with a few glue drips on the rails....and they can't apply much pressure because of their design.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/4518261/57039495.jpg

So they are no substitute for Jorgensen bar clamps when you need to sacrifice accuracy for power laying up thicker stock....you can get all the accuracy you need with inaccurate clamps by milling properly-sized spacer blocks to get the clamp moment aligned perfectly with the joint.

If I had to choose only one....it'd be the Jorgies every time.

Shawn Swafford
01-23-2005, 11:10 PM
OK....now the question comes up how many clamps do you feel one needs to start out? I know they say you can never have enough clamps but you have to start somewhere. What's the best bang for the buck that will get you the needed number and an adequate quality of clamps?? These are the clamps I was looking at buying. They are sold by Rockler. Any thoughts on these?

Pam Niedermayer
01-23-2005, 11:40 PM
For starters I'd get the bar clamps from Rockler, for which you can buy various lengths of pipe at HD, Lowe's, your local plumbing supply, should come in well under the $150.

However, LV has a sale on Besseys until the end of January which is very tempting, seems to be about a $60-70 savings (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,44047&p=51095). Granted they're out of stock until April and you've got to order them by 1/29; but you won't be charged until they ship. I've got 4 long Bessey clamps that work pretty nicely, actually find them a bit faster than the pipe clamps.

Pam

Shawn Swafford
01-24-2005, 2:32 AM
Thanks, Pam. I appreciate your suggestions.

Shawn

Doug Shepard
01-24-2005, 7:06 AM
I've got tons of clamps - some good, some just OK. It wasn't until a couple of years ago though, that I finally took the plunge and splurged on some parallel jaw clamps. I wish I'd done it sooner. It's a lot easier to get things to glue up flat with those, and even at the higher cost, I'd recommend them so that you don't get beginner frustration with bowed and mis-aligned glue ups. Bessey owners swear by them, but personally, I went with the Gross-Stabil P2's instead of the Besseys. Slightly larger/deeper jaws and can be taken apart for maintainence if necessary. As much as I try to avoid using Woodcraft, they have a 25% off sale through Jan 31 on the 24" ($27), 40" ($33.50), and 48" ($36) right now.

The one-handed pistol-squeeze type clamps are also extremely handy to have around, as well as a few handscrew type clamps.

One word of warning on the bar clamps that Rockler/Woodcraft/Etc., sell. For the most part they're decent clamps, but their quality control ain't what it could be. I've seen quite a few that don't have flat surfaces on the contact points which makes the clamp prone to slipping sideways from where you intended it to go. If you go this route, just pick through them and make sure the jaw faces are flat and perpendicular to the bar.

Keith Cope
01-24-2005, 7:45 AM
Shawn,

I had a similar predicament starting out. I opted to buy as many Jorgensen bar clamps and pony pipe clamps (with various lengths of pipe from HD). My reasoning was that the quantity of clamps would be more important in the short run, until I could afford to replace them/supplement them with better ones. I still use them.

Keith

James Carmichael
01-24-2005, 4:23 PM
FWIW, I just read on another board that WoodCraft has their Gross Stabil parallel jaw clamps on sale, 20% off I think. These are K-body clamps like the Besseys. I never thought I'd spend the money on K-bodies, but fortunately, HD closed out Besseys and I was able to pick up several very cheap. Now, I don't know how I lived without them. I've looked at the Gross Stabils, and they are even better, IMO, they operate more smoothly than the Besseys. HD also had the 24 and 36" Jorgensen Cabinet Masters on sale recently (also K-body). I thought this was a closeout, but I walked into a store the other day and they still had them, I think $25 for the 36" and $20 for the 24s.

Also, don't dismiss the much-maligned Harbor Freight. Their Pittsburgh brand F clamps are an excellent value, I've bought a few and like them better than my Record F-clamps, which cost about 3x as much. They also have outstanding values on pipe clamps, which are the poor-man's answer to K-bodies. I've bought 3/4" Poney pipe clamp sets from HF for $2.99 apiece and seen the exact same ones for $12 in the big box stores (HD and Lowes).

Tom Hoffman
01-25-2005, 1:07 AM
I have the Rockler clamps you pictured. They work very well for me, but as you can tell by reading the other posts, the K-body style clamps are superior. These Rocklers are a good value, and perform much better than the Pony brand of "pipe" clamps. Having said that, I have to report that the Rockler Sure-Foot™ Aluminum Bar Clamps (http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=10819&objectgroup_id=436&catid=54&filter=clamps) http://www.rockler.com/rockler/images/34491-pad.jpg
are junk. I bought 4 and every one has broken or fallen apart. I have been a loyal Rockler customer, so I called them to see about returning them for some sort of credit. I offered to mail them back at my expense and they told me it is not their policy to offer refunds or credits. So, be careful about shopping with Rockler. At least Woodcraft will stand behind their products.

Steve Wargo
01-25-2005, 5:44 AM
Yeah, one of the good issues they've put out lately (not) that tested hand tools. I think a lot depends on you as to what type of clamps to buy. If your jointery is really good, you can use hide glue and hold it in place till it sets thus eliminating the need for a ton of clamps. If you plan on doing large projects (size wise) you may want to puchase a cheaper clamp and then buy more of them. If your joinery is not too good and you think it's necessary to tighten the heck out of the clamps and starve the joint of glue as well as strength then you may need to go with Pipe clamps or heavy duty bar clamps. On a side note, I know a guy who actually broke 4 Jorgenson cabinet master clamps from over tightening. Broke the plastic right off the clamp head. I have a fair amount of clamps, but I do wish I had more. Don't forget if you have a nice tight joint, you can also use things like masking take, rubber bands and such to hold things together. Tight joinery makes assembly much easier. Please understand that throughout this note when I say tight joinery I mean well cut joinery. I don't mean that it is tight as in having to pound the piece with a deadblow to insert a tenon. Just well cut joinery.

Tom LaRussa
01-25-2005, 9:36 AM
I need to buy some clamps and don't know what kind I need and the amounts. I was looking at the bar clamps from Rockler that is their design. Are bar clamps good or are there better choices? I am looking to buy a set of start up clamps and can spend around $150 on them now. I know that doesn't buy many clamps. Help me spend my money :) .

Shawn
Shawn, if I had about $150 to spend, here's how I would spread it around.

First off, I would buy a bunch of the Pittsburg brand bar clamps at Harbor Freight. Regardless of what you've heard about HF, these are good clamps, especially in sizes of 24" or less. (The longer ones tend to flex quite a bit, it's true, so I'm not recommending those.)

The thing to remember about HF is that everything goes on sale at least four times per year. So the key is never buy anything at full price. This is especially true of clamps, which regularly go on sale for 1/2 price. The prices I've listed below assume you wait to make your purchase until the clamps are on sale, i.e., they are 1/2 of the regular price posted on the website.

HARBOR FREIGHT:

6" http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34387
8 @ $1.65 = $13.20

12" http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5975
8 @ $2.99 = $23.92

24" http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5976
8 @ $3.49 = $27.92

Spring Clamp Assortment (10 clamps)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46222
$4.99

6" Bar Clamp/Spreader (These are inadequate for glueups, but they are nice for when you need a third hand.) http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46806
4 @ $2.99 = $11.96

ROCKLER:
3/4" Sure Foot Pipe Clamp
http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=10818&slt=hp
6 @ 11.99 = $71.94

HARBOR FREIGHT TOTAL: $81.99
ROCKLER TOTAL: $71.94
GRAND TOTAL: $153.93

You'll need some pipe to go with the pipe clamp assemblies. This is available pretty cheap at either of the big box chains. Get a variety of sizes, and be sure to have them thread at least one end of each piece for you.

With shipping from Rockler, plus the pipe, plus tax, this will take you a bit over your $150 budget, but it's at least in the ball park, and will give you plenty of adequate clamps to use, now, instead of just a few "awesome" clamps to sit and look at.

HTH,

:)

Tom

Mark Rhodes
01-25-2005, 9:58 AM
I have a few of them all it seems and they all seem to serve their own purpose. For panels i like the rockler bar clamps and i have added 8" of 1.25" oak stock to the jaws for added stability, and have had good luck in clamping a lotof panels with them (i use biscuts to help keep the edges flush) I like the Bessey type clamps for cabinets and the pistol grip clamps for all around use.

Mark Singer
01-25-2005, 10:06 AM
I have both the Bessy K body and the Gross Stabil and I perfer the Gross Stabil.....http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DD5WG.01-A3TQ3OIW6NTQKL._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0000DD5WG/ref=dp_product-image-only_0/103-4323987-1618255?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=228013)

Gary Herrmann
01-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Mark I have Besseys, but no Gross Stabil. Why do you prefer them? There is a sale at Woodcraft I think...

Shawn Swafford
01-25-2005, 2:02 PM
Man, you guys are great! Thanks for all the information as it has been a big help. And thanks Tom for breaking down the clamps into a list.

In case anyone is interested, I found pipe clamps at Grizzly that appear to be the same one's that Rockler and Woodcraft sell with the feet but at a price of $8 a clamp.

Steve Wargo
01-25-2005, 2:42 PM
Fine Woodworking had and entire article in issue 172. They rated all of the larger cabinet style clamps.

John Pollman
01-25-2005, 3:04 PM
I just got back a little while ago from a visit to my local Woodcraft store. (I was eyeing a Jet mini late :rolleyes: ) Right up front by the register they have a display witht the R&R Panel clamping system. That thing looks sweet ! Not cheap but definitely looks efficient and worth it. If I do end up building my kitchen cabinets I think I may invest in a starter set. Here's a link:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5061

I think the 2' starter set was about $135 and the 4' starter set was like $180. Looks like a very good way to go.

Marc Hills
01-25-2005, 4:08 PM
I'm with Tom and Keith on this. Those K-Bodies, Gross-Stabils and Cabinet Masters are the cats meow, I'm sure. But if you're a beginner, a pair of any of those will eat up most of the budget for an starter set of clamps.

Keith summed it up nicely in his analysis that in the short run, quantity trumps quality.

And Tom, you're right, those HF bar clamps over 24" are way too flexible. Better to spend the money on pipe clamps if that's all you can afford.

Pam Niedermayer
01-26-2005, 7:53 PM
...Keith summed it up nicely in his analysis that in the short run, quantity trumps quality....

I strongly disagree. I bought 8 36" clamps for cheap on ebay, almost none of them work properly, and using the ones that do is a real pain. Go for quality, the best you can afford, all the time.

Pam

Tom LaRussa
01-26-2005, 9:17 PM
I strongly disagree. I bought 8 36" clamps for cheap on ebay, almost none of them work properly, and using the ones that do is a real pain.
Pam
Yeah, I bought some clamps from that guy too. Junk.

Go for quality, the best you can afford, all the time.
That's what we're trying to help Shaw do, i.e., buy the best he can afford.

Not everyone can afford to pay $30-$50 per clamp and actually purchase enough clamps to do anything with. Some of us -- and actually I would guess it's the (mostly) silent majority of us -- have to find the best quality we can reasonably afford from among lesser known/respected names, or give up woodworking.

That's reality -- cold as a deep cryo treatment and harder carbide.

SEMI-OT AND ULTIMATELY POINTLESS RANT:

People like to toss around the phrase "You get what you pay for," as though that were synonymous with "The more you pay, the better the quality."

In reality, "You get what you pay for" means something quite different.

In many cases it means you get a product, plus you get to pay for a share of:

[1] an extremely expensive advertising campaign;
[2] a very costly distribution system;
[3] the value of the name attached to the product. This includes the ego value of having the most expensive toy on the block -- not a minor consideration in a hobby dominated by men.

Example:

The SKIL Skil HD77M MAG 77 7-1/4" Wormdrive Circular Saw, which every pro I've ever met, (and that's quite a few), swears is the best circular saw made, costs about $160, delivered, from Amazon.

The equivalent saw from Festool, the AT-65-E, costs $495 plus shipping.

Is the Festool three times better than the Skil?

I really doubt it.

But it does have the exclusivity factor that so many look for.

It's made in Germany, a factor which is worth quite a bit to the effete elites who like to bash this country at every turn;

It costs an arm and a leg -- that's right, the very fact that it costs so much more actually makes it more valuable to many people;

It's difficult to get -- you can't just order it from Amazon, you have to go to an authorized dealer;

etc.
END OF POINTLESS RANT

Bob Johnson2
01-26-2005, 10:42 PM
I've got a bunch of the old stand-by pipe clamps, from 2' up through around 6', for the money they sure come in handy although they are a bit awkward to use at times, I believe more is better with clamps. I do like the k body type cause they stand up on their own and the ends don't swivel like the pipe clamps, not really problems, more like inconvieniences, I just can't afford them, yet. I also like the pistol grip quick clamps, a couple shorties and a couple 2-3'ers are nice for temp use, I grab them often. About half a hundred assorted C clamps are worth their weight in iron, as are an assortment of wooden hand screws.

If I had 150$ and wanted to buy enough clamps to build cabinets, the expensive ones would be out cause I couldn't get enough.

Marc Hills
01-26-2005, 10:55 PM
I used to think something like a Ryobi BT3100 was every bit as good as a Unisaw; I really thought that. Then I tried a Unisaw in my community woodworking class. Light bulb, fireworks, angels singing, choose whatever watershed experience, paradigm-shifting, eureka moment metaphor you want; I got it: so that's the kind of woodworking nirvana that $2000 of 3hp induction motor, cast iron, triple v-belt, massive trunnion, smooth-as-silk Unifence gives you. I got it, OK? I got it. From that day forward I came to appreciate that just because I've never tried a Knight smoother. a LN bench chisel or a Festool cordless drill doesn't mean that once I do I'll fully understand why each is worth every penny of it's princely retail cost.

However, once we get to that wonderful point of appreciating ultra high quality, it seems to become very hard to remember a time when dollars were short and each new project meant a significant purchase of all manner of additional tools, blades, bits, and lumber. It's easy to balance the cost versus quality equation when you already have a shop full of high end tools and 70 odd board feet of black walnut just right for the next project.

The 1st project that really forced me to get serious about acquiring clamps was a shaker blanket chest. I was appalled by how much just wood cost! I had maybe $50 tops left for clamps. I could have gotten one, maybe two of those top of line parallel jaw clamps, and they would have looked dandy sitting next to the plans. But I had to face reality and buy some inexpensive bar and pipe clamps in order to actually complete the project.

Reality check: when was the last time that you contemplated a woodworking project that was absolutely IMPOSSIBLE without a significant outlay for new tools? Welcome to my world. For beginners like me, it's practically every time because I'm nowhere near a fully equipped shop. I'm forced to buy middle range or even low end sometimes because otherwise the project becomes financially impossible. Advice to buy nothing but top of the line is tantamount to: "You can't do it, so forget it."

Yes, I agree that absolute bottom of the barrel is no bargain at any price. And Pam, sounds like you and I have both bought some dogs for clamps. I am truly honored to have that, or anything, in common with you. But something like a Rockler or even a Harbor Freight 3/4" pipe clamp allows someone just starting out to acquire a decent, functional clamping capability for a very reasonable price.

Shawn started this thread with a set dollar limit and a need to buy "a set of start up clamps". He mentioned Rockler, which gives us a sense of the quality level he was contemplating. Limited clamp budget, just starting out. I stand by Keith: Quantity trumps quality.

Shawn Swafford
01-26-2005, 11:13 PM
Money is tight and I have had to buy a lot of things to get going. I'm over 3/4 there on tools I need. I set $150 as a random figure but will more than likely bump it up to $250 since quite a few are needed. Even if I bump it up to $250 I can only buy 6 Gross Stabil 48 inch clamps at the sale price. By going with the less expensive pipe clamps I can get more tools and build something. I would love to have the better clamps because I like really nice tools and have pride in ownership. But...reality check, I can't afford to go first class. I don't wan't junk but I don't think low cost always equates with junk. I picked up 15 Record bar clamps off Ebay and will have $3.50 each in them including shipping. They probably aren't the best but I'm sure they are worth what I paid. As soon as Harbor Freight has their sale I will pick up some more. I posted this thread because I had no idea what kind and amount of clamps I would need. It appears that the majority of people feel that quantity is important. Hopefully I can strike a fair balance between quality and price. I do appreciate everyones input on this thread. The posts have all been very helpful.

Pam Niedermayer
01-27-2005, 3:15 AM
No question that the pipe clamps are a good deal, one that I also recommended earlier in this thread; but when several people stated that more clamps are better, go for quantity over quality, I couldn't keep quiet. That approach is just plain mistaken. Anyone should be able to buy two to four quality pipe clamps and pipes. If this is all you (impersonal) can afford, that's fine. It simply means you glue up one door at a time. I don't have a lot of money, so I started with cheap clamps and a couple or three belt clamps. The cheap clamps ended up being a total waste, I could have bought 2 good pipe clamps and pipe for the money I blew.

Pam

Bart Leetch
01-27-2005, 8:53 AM
Well I grew up using pipe clamps in my fathers cabinet shop. All these Fancy smancy clamps didn't exist. I've never I'll repeat I've never had a problem getting a square glue up period. I think that is just an excuse to spend lots of bucks. Yes I've used Besseys at my friends shop I'm not impressed.

I have 4 of the old 3/4" Craftsman pipe clamps that were my dads the kind you have to tap on the tail gripper or at least push it down against the pipe not fancy but they work & something some would whine about & 2 Jorgenson pipe clamps & the rest are Harbor freight that have the clutch type pipe gripper on the tail piece.

The best advice I can give you is with pipe clamps cut your pipes 4' 6" long .Why? Because it will allow you to clamp over 4' long & then you can add a pipe coupler & another 4' 6" piece of pipe & be well over 8' long if need be. For cabinet work i.e. face frames this is ideal.

I like the looks of the Rockler clamps but would not buy the pipes that they sell they are to short, just ask me I made the mistake of cutting my pipes at 4'. I may never have any Rockler clamps because I now have 18 clamps & will have the other 32 that are my Dad's some day.

Also light duty bar clamps like made by Jorgenson are really good to have.

The pipe clamps I have are mostly Harbor Freight the 3/4" ones with the stacked metal clutch plates they are knock offs of the Jorgenson's & work fine.

I also have some of the aluminum rectangular tube clamps by Harbor Freight & they work fine too. I have heard some complaints about these clamps but found out that the users were expecting to much of the clamp as in heavy duty use these are light-medium duty clamps at best but they work fine if use properly.

As to the black pipe verses galvanized pipe controversy I can tell you I have both & much prefer galvanized because they don't seem to stain the wood like black pipe. I've never had a slipping problem with galvanized pipe that some people describe.

Another thing is if you can get your pipe from a recycle yard you may save some money. I purchased 17' for $2.

Picture URL below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=13630&stc=1

These clamp racks are behind an entry door which is usually wasted space in a shop you don't ever want to have wasted space.

Remember when it comes to clamps you can be a can do wood work or be a fancy smancy whiner who spends lots of bucks on clamps. Sorry people when I see all the bucks hanging on some shop walls all I see is the real nice big pile of wood that could be made into furniture or cabinets & after all that what this is really all about. Not what the tool industry wants you to think buy our fancy smancy what ever (clamps) if I did that I wouldn't have any wood & wouldn't need the tools. I'll take the wood & pipe clamps any day.

Yes I know most of you are not whiners...but there one out there somewhere. :D

What you can't tell this is one of my favorite subjects. :eek:

Tony Zaffuto
01-27-2005, 10:40 AM
As important as clamps is your clamping method. The best clamp will not cure poor joinery! I would suggest stepping back and examining what you want to do before spending money. Refer to Tage Frid's book and Krenov's book on how to apply clamp pressure.

The clamps I started with were Jorgensen Pony F-style. Even though I have Besseys and several other designs, I always seem to go back to the Pony clamps. With good workmanship, the clamps are only used for holding the project while the glue dries! Don't forget that applying pressure with clamps will result in internal stress in the project that will surely cause failure in the future. Ignore all the huffing and puffing of Nahm while he cranks those K-bodys with everything he's got to pull boards together!

James Carmichael
01-28-2005, 4:09 PM
Shawn,

Bet you didn't know what a can of worms you were opening? Hope this doesn't scare you away from SMC.

A suggestion: Before heading off to buy clamps, call the Home Depots in your area and run the following UPCs by them. These are for the Bessey K-body clamps which HD closed out last year. There might still be some out there and if you call and ask nicely, they will usually search all stores in the area and tell you who has any. Then call any store's they give you showing inventory, or, even better, just go in and see as specific questions via phone to HD hardware depts are often an exercise in futility. Be sure to take the UPCs with you since, if you find any, the bar codes may be long gone and no one will have a clue what they are or the price. The prices below are at least 50% off. Thanks to this information which I found on another WW board, I was able to pick up 7-50" and 2-40" clamps for a total of about $180.

24" 091162006529 $ 12.00
31" 091162006535 $ 15.00
40" 091162006542 $ 16.00
50" 091162006559 $ 20.00

Shawn Swafford
01-28-2005, 9:28 PM
James,

This has been a very informative thread for me. I learned that their are clamp elitists, working man clamps, and the most important of all is that I am clamp poor :D . I appreciate your information and I'll check out the Home Depots when I get to town. I have to drive 70 miles to get to Home Depot or Lowes. Kinda cuts down on the expenditures!

Thanks,
Shawn

Bob Smalser
09-13-2007, 8:57 PM
There's no beating a Jorgie for versatility:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/3297171/277999059.jpg

Dan Racette
09-14-2007, 11:17 AM
I have an assortment of older and newer jorgy pipe clamps, as well as off brand pipe clamps from various other sources such as woodcraft and harbor freight. The older jorgy's are the best.

F-clamps (or G-clamps or whatever you call them) I have jorgy's cheapies and my new favorite is the Wetzlers. Wetzler clamp company is available for ordering online, and I find, since they don't spend a great deal in advertising, they represent a great value. They are made in the USA. They are super heavy duty, and I certainly love mine.
All the Bessies that I had, were older, and once those thin little knurl lines wear out, I feel they are useless. I don't have as much experience as others though.
My two cents.

Terry Bigelow
09-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Wow! Who'd a thunk a clamp thread would have gotten this hot 'n heavy:eek: ! Even though I don't think throwing out the quanity over quality is an absolute with clamps it is to a certain degree ,especially on a budget. I couldn't pop for the Kbodies but I did buy a Bessey. These are awesome and at 15.00 pretty cheap too. I like the feet feature too when you're gluing up panels and doors. They're from Lowe's and they have 1/2" and 3/4"(1/2" are $10 I think)