PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Seal Classic Group purchase in North Carolina

Scott T Smith
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I am going to be hosting a Group purchase on Anchorseal Classic at my farm and sawmill in New Hill, NC later this month. Here is the background on the event.

About a year or so ago, NCWW (North Carolina Woodworker) and SMC member Gary Conklin organized a similar event at my farm and it was well attended, with many NCWW members taking advantage of the savings. We're going to follow up on what Gary started by hosting a sequel at my farm later this month.

As a way to support NCWW and SMC, the price per gallon will include a $1.00 donation to help support the operation of NCWW and SMC. The donations will be divided up based upon the number of members that partipate from each forum. As an example, if SMC members sign up for 120 gallons, and NCWW members sign up for 110 gallons, then SMC will receive a $120.00 donation and NCWW will receive a $110.00 donation.

There is no profit to me or anybody else for this event - it is solely designed to allow all of us to take advantage of the savings that comes from making a bulk purchase while simultaneously supporting two great forums - NCWW and SMC.

The way that this works is that you commit on this thread for X gallons, and based upon the sum total of that we place a bulk order in order to get the best price, and schedule a date for the event at my farm in New Hill, NC (about 30 miles SW of Raleigh). Typically we will conduct the event on a Saturday. Most likely, we will plan on either the weekend of March 26th, or April 2nd, whichever works best for everybody.

Since we are buying in bulk, each NCWW / SMC member that participates is responsible for providing their own containers. We will use a drum pump to transfer it.

On the last run we purchased in 55 gallon drum quantities, which is a significant price savings over buying 5 gallon pails or smaller amounts at local retailers.

Yesterday UC Coatings quoted me $310.75 for a 55 gallon drum of Anchorseal Classic - Summer Mix, plus $126.00 for freight. If we add $55.00 for a donation to SMC/NCWW, the total price for the drum is $491.75, or $8.95 per gallon. If there is enough demand for multiple drums (or even a tote), we will be able to get a better price too.

They also informed me that the price will go up .25 per gallon next Monday, and based upon the recent fuel price increases I'm sure that the freight costs will be escalating as well. Therefore I will plan on placing an order this Friday, March 11 in order to obtain the best price.

If you would like to participate, please respond to this thread with an quantity that you're interested in, and if Saturday March 26 and Saturday April 2nd are good dates for the event. Please do not respond if you have already responded to the thread on the NCWW site.

Thanks!

Scott

Dan Hintz
03-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I just ordered two 5-gallon pails of the original formula yesterday... I figure at least one pail will eventually go towards replenishing local turner's supplies. I paid $71/pail shipped. Considering how long it lasts, $14.20/gallon is a good price, but the cut from a 55-gal drum would obviously be a lot better. I'm surprised the stuff isn't more expensive...

Scott T Smith
03-09-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised the stuff isn't more expensive...

The price of the Classis is directly linked to the price of oil, so as oil goes up so does Anchorseal; hence next weeks price increase by UCC. I'm surprised that Bailey's hasn't increased their price yet.

Dave Ogren
03-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Scott,

Wish you were closer. Having to travel 300 miles each way would be prohibitive for me. Thanks for letting us know.

Dave

charlie knighton
03-09-2011, 3:05 PM
interested but not close enough with gas at $3.25+

Bob Aumock
03-10-2011, 2:08 PM
Scott, put me down for 2 gal. Either date works for me.

Thx,
Bob

Scott T Smith
03-10-2011, 7:35 PM
Scott, put me down for 2 gal. Either date works for me.

Thx,
Bob

Bob - gotcha covered. Thx.

Scott

Scott T Smith
03-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Bob, the date for the group meet and Anchorseal divvy will be Saturday March 26th, at my farm and shop in New Hill, NC. If you'll send me a PM or e-mail and let me know which direction that you will be coming from, I'll respond with directions.

We may have a few empty gallon containers available, but it would be best if you brought your own. If you are a tea drinker, the "Arizona Ice Tea" jugs work well as repurposed storage containers, as they are a dense plastic (much better than milk jugs) and should hold up well over time in your shop.

I look forward to meeting a fellow SMC member, and you will have the opportunity to meet about 15 - 20 local NC woodworkers.

And... if you've never been there, Roy Underhill will be giving a class on making a Roubo bookstand at his school in Pittsboro, NC on Sunday, March 27. Roy's school is about a 15 minutes drive from my farm. I don't know if there are any slots available or not, but if you're driving a ways it may be something to look into.

See you then.

Scott

Scott T Smith
03-28-2011, 12:29 PM
A good time was had by all at this past Saturday's Anchor Seal event! In addition to SMC member Bob Amuch and his lovely wife Lynn attending, we had a host of local NCWW members show up at the farm to swap lies and claim their Anchorseal!

In order to negate the worry about any wax spillage on the concrete floor, we forked the drums outside and went to town.

And true to the farm "motto" (a happy guest is a working guest), severall attendees assisted with getting some wood stacked on pallet racks at the very beginning of the event (thanks guys!).

Here are some pix.
Here is a group shot of several members around the Anchor Seal drums:

SMC members Scott Smith, Bob Aumock and his wife Lynn posing next to some of my large oak logs:

Here is a shot of NCWW member Kyle assisting with restacking some lumber to go up on the pallet racks.

All in all, it was a great woodworking day! Although over 82 gallons of Anchorseal were (or will be) picked up by SMC and NCWW members, resulting in donations to both great woodworking organizations.

Many thanks to all who participated, and thanks also to SMC and NCWW member Gary Conklin - the founder of the first AnchorSeal run - who donated a drum pump for the cause!

Scott