PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany & Ebony

Mark Hubl
03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Not the first time I have turned Mahogany, but the first finial I have done in Ebony. It was not as bad as I feared. I am really happy with the finish on both. Couple of coats of AO and buff with horsehair and then a light touch with white diamond. The mahogany really looks great when picked up.

The piece is around 3 1/2 x 6 1/2. C&C welcome.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I do like this one Mark. The wood and form look great. I do like that double finial.

Roger Chandler
03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Very pretty Mark! Good form and nice finial. For my tastes, I like the opening to have a lid from which the finial comes out, but that is a personal preference...........Your work here is very good! Good combination on the woods as well.

Tim Thiebaut
03-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Mark that is beautiful, the vessel and the finial! I love the opening being inset like that, and the double finials!

Did you use a handheld horsehair brush? Or do you have it mounted and turned on something?

Art Manansala
03-09-2011, 1:46 AM
I really love the form on this one and especially like how the finial sits deep in the vessel. Beautiful wood and finish as well.

Great job.

Art

Mark Hubl
03-09-2011, 2:39 AM
Did you use a handheld horsehair brush? Or do you have it mounted and turned on something?

Thanks Tim. I have both. I started using an old, good quality shoe shine brush. It works great on oil and lacquer to give a wonderful sheen between satin and shiny. I did pick up a brush for the buffer though, shopped the net and ended up just getting it from Beall. I like the brush for an initial buff. I have found some nice brushes at the antique stores, brand new in boxes, good prices.

Mark Hubl
03-09-2011, 2:48 AM
I do like that double finial.

Thanks Bernie. I think the double finial comes from a couple of influences, Drozda and frugality. Cindy likes to use a jewel to reward those bold enough to pop the top. I like her thinking. On this piece I turned three finials and said enough. The one on top is the first, the bottom number three. Number three is actually the best, but it got a bit short since it was not holding in the chuck. Since it is ebony, no sense tossing it. It also serves to balance the stopper. I did not want a friction fit, I wanted the casual observer to be able to pull the finial easily. So the added ballast helps keep the top in place.

John Keeton
03-09-2011, 7:01 AM
Mark, very nice piece!! The mahogany and ebony are a perfect compliment to each other - contrasting in color and texture. Well done!!! I have turned a little mahogany for some tool handles for another creeker, and it turns great!

Steve Vaughan
03-09-2011, 7:07 AM
BEE-UTIFUL! Really love the way this looks!

Michelle Rich
03-09-2011, 7:28 AM
A#1 nice vessel

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2011, 7:41 AM
Beautiful work Mark! I really like the detail work on finial #3 but understand your reasoning behind using it as ballast! Very nice combination of woods! Thanks for sharing!

bob svoboda
03-09-2011, 9:14 AM
Very nice, Mark. I like the double finial.

David E Keller
03-09-2011, 9:22 AM
I really like it, Mark. The inset lid is a nice feature, and the curve still continues into the bulb of the finial. I've not done any double finials, but it's a nice feature. The fit and finish are fantastic as usual.

Jeff Myroup
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I really like this one Mark. I like what you did with the finial. Very different. Beautiful form!

Ron Stadler
03-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Nice job Mark, these double finials are pretty cool and you did a great job on it but I'm wondering at how many of these get broke off when someone opens up your hf and doesn't realize there is another finial on the inside and possibly scraping the tip across the opening of the form. Anyway, looks great.

Belton Garvin
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
I like the way the finial sets down in the opening of the form...it really makes the piece more interesting. I also like the double finial. Several members of our local turning club have been discussing the best methods of creating a double finial out of a single piece of wood. Even though you can make a double finial out out of 2 seperate pieces of wood and no one would know, the idea of making it one peice is intriguing. Great job on this one!

David DeCristoforo
03-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Nice! The subdued figure of the mahogany really lets the form shine. I also like the recessed opening and the double ended finial.

Darren Jamieson
03-09-2011, 1:36 PM
I really like this one. I am not sure aboutthe doulble final but the neck and the inset look is fantastic. I hope you don't mind but I may borrow that look for a peice.

Jon Nuckles
03-09-2011, 2:29 PM
Pretty piece with some creative touches. Nice!

Jim Burr
03-09-2011, 2:52 PM
The recessed is a little different for me Mark...not good or bad, just different.The mahogany has great color and the sheen is just right. Finials are of course, very fitting for the piece.

charlie knighton
03-09-2011, 2:57 PM
very nice....

Curt Fuller
03-09-2011, 7:43 PM
Chalk me up as one that thinks the recessed opening, with the finial emerging, is very cool. The whole thing is beautiful, double finial and all, but the recessed opening makes it for me. I like the pic with the finial resting horizontal too. That looks sharp.

Brian Effinger
03-09-2011, 9:17 PM
Here's another positive vote for the recessed finial base. Haven't seen that before. A great piece, Mark, all around. :)

Bob Bergstrom
03-09-2011, 9:25 PM
That sure is a great curve on that piece. At first I thought the finial was reversible. Hope to see it at Monday's meeting.

Harry Robinette
03-09-2011, 9:31 PM
Nice Very Very Nice, wood,combination,shape and presentation all Very Nice.
Outstanding turning.

Baxter Smith
03-09-2011, 9:56 PM
Nice color combo with a great shape. The recessed finial base made me do a doubletake. Nice touch!

Mark Hubl
03-10-2011, 12:37 AM
Nice job Mark, these double finials are pretty cool and you did a great job on it but I'm wondering at how many of these get broke off when someone opens up your hf and doesn't realize there is another finial on the inside and possibly scraping the tip across the opening of the form. Anyway, looks great.

That's the beauty, you broke it you bought it. No, just kidding. Actually when pulling it out you know right away there is more. And, the ebony has proven quite resilient, I have managed to drop it several times in the shop without breaking it.

Mark Hubl
03-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks all for taking the time to comment. It really does help one become better.

I am glad that the collar treatment sparked interest. I like the way it came out and the way it adds to the piece. It is inspired by the work of Keith Burns. He does wonderful forms and finials. On a piece from a couple of years ago his finial sat into the top. I liked the look and thought I would kick it up a notch.

Mahogany is such a pretty wood. It is no wonder why furniture makers have favored it for so long. It is stable, cuts well and has a beautiful finish. This piece came from an end of board cut off that was in the wood inventory at the Illiana Woodturners/Carvers club. I bet the piece of wood has been there for over 20 years drying. I have one more blank from it and hope it is as fun.

Mark Hubl
03-10-2011, 12:58 AM
I have turned a little mahogany for some tool handles for another creeker, and it turns great!

It does turn nice. A great wood and a furniture makers favorite. It is really the wood that sucked me into the vortex. Like you, I thought I would do one little project on the lathe. The first thing I got serious about turning was a couple of spindles for a small chisel rack. Someday, I am going to sharpen them and use them, no really I am.