PDA

View Full Version : A Little Advice

Bruce Mikeworth
03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
This is my first post, so hoping I'm doing it right.
First, this is one great forum! Lot's of interesting information, helpful suggestions, and great comments with a lot of encouragement. I've been mostly lurking around the hand-tools areas since that has been my main interest, and I've been looking for a better chisel mallet. After doing some searching I am surprised at the cost of something that I think I'd be able to make, if I only had a lathe and practice. So, now I'm thinking of all the fine things one could make with a lathe. So, my question is about getting started and thinking a Jet 1014 variable speed might be a good start. Is that a reasonable thought. Thank for any comment and/or alternative suggestions.

Steve Vaughan
03-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Not familiar with using that lathe, but you're in the right direction no doubt! You'll end up getting a lathe to make your mallet, which is a great project and idea, and then you'll find a few more handles you'll need to make. And, about that time, you'll realize how cool it is to buy unhandled lathe tools and of course you'll have to make handles for them. And soon...very, very soon, you'll be pulled in all the way!:D I think that's about how it works.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Bruce,

I started with a Jet 1014VS and it's a great little lathe. Some others you might want to consider too would be the Jet 1220VS and there is a new Delta 46-460 which gets rave reviews too. The last two have a little more capacity.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2011, 10:46 PM
You might want to talk with John Keeton.....he bought a lathe to turn furniture legs......then he sold that and bought a bigger lathe.....:D

Bruce Mikeworth
03-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks Steve and Ken -

Ken, I did take a look at the 1220VS and can see the benefit of greater capacity, but I'll need the difference in cost to get some gouges, then dust,chip extraction gizmo set-up, then some of the fancy (expensive) wood to work on, and then, and then. Yea, Steve, I can feel the pull already.

Doug W Swanson
03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi Bruce,
Welcome to SMC. The Jet 1014 is a very good starter lathe. It is good quality and can provide many years of service if you are looking to do small things. In fact, many people start off with a mini lathe like the 1014 and then upgrade to a bigger one. I guess a lot depends on what you are looking to turn. I've used the Delta 46-460 and it is a very nice lathe. Granted it's a fair amount more than the Jet but it does have some nice features like reverse, more hp, etc.

I used my 1014 for a year or so and then upgraded to a Jet 1236. One of these yours I'm going to upgrade again....

It all depends on your budget and what you want to make. Try searching your craigslist for a used lathe because then you can get more lathe for your buck. Then if you go to sell it in a few years when you upgrade, you can usually sell it for close to what you paid for it (or more like I did with my Jet 1014).

Steve R Baker
03-08-2011, 11:54 PM
I bought the jet 1014 1st, then a couple years later bought a delta 46-460. I use the delta for more then the jet now. If I was buying today I would go with the delta. Like it a lot.

David E Keller
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I haven't turned on one, but I've heard good things about the lathe in question. I would be a little concerned about the lack of space between centers... 14 inches is not much if you factor in a chuck and any waste associated with a handle project. There may be a bed extension available if so desired. I started with a little Rikon midi, and I still use it from time to time. I have used the delta 46-460, and it's a great lathe. Any of the small lathes can be used for pens, stoppers, boxes, bowls, and small hollow forms. Welcome!

Tim Thiebaut
03-09-2011, 12:41 AM
You have a lot of great advice above here, David did touch on one important thing to...the distance between centers is pretty short on the 1014 when you add a chuck to it you are now down to probably "11 inches tops between centers. But you are on the right track, get what you can afford to start with and go from there. A couple of times a year the various wood working stores put different Mfg's lathes on sale so you may want to check around and see if one might be coming up soon at one of the stores, Woodcrafters, Rocklers, Toolnut...etc...I saved $100 off my 1220VS last Nov. when I bought mine...which I love by the way. Good luck to you, and welcome to the Creek!

Rick Markham
03-09-2011, 3:03 AM
Bruce, Welcome to this side of the creek! I spent the vast majority of my time in the neander cave, until I started turning. Now I very rarely venture far away from here... it's home! Here is how I ended up here...

This is how it all starts...:D
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?140514-Why-am-I-here&highlight=
and a little under 7 months later...:eek:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153790-Invasion-of-the-Mustard-Monster...&highlight=

I think the best advice anyone can give you is to buy the biggest lathe you can afford, even if it means waiting/saving/watching craigslist... You will be upgrading eventually, this is addictive (major understatement). If I was going to get a smaller lathe the Delta 46 440 was the most attractive to me... In fact I actually have been toying with the idea of getting one to go with the Mustard Monster. I say jump in with both feet first!!! If I had to do it over, I wouldn't change a single thing in the way I did this... It has been worth every penny and every second I had to wait! Good luck Bruce, I look forward to seeing the many beautiful projects in your future!

Mark Hubl
03-09-2011, 3:16 AM
A 1014 is a great place to start. The tools you buy will be usable on the next lathe, if you are so inclined. Buy chucks that you can change the adapter and those too will move to the next lathe, if you are so inclined. Plus 1014's are very sell-able, or are great second lathes in the shop, if you are so inclined. If you really are feeling the pull, the Delta is the new standard for mini/midi lathes. Now, if you are really feeling the pull, then by all means get the PM. People that do this just seem to walk around grinning all the time. The other great thing for you neander types, gouges, skews and sandpaper are hand tools!

Rick Markham
03-09-2011, 3:26 AM
Now, if you are really feeling the pull, then by all means get the PM. People that do this just seem to walk around grinning all the time. The other great thing for you neander types, gouges, skews and sandpaper are hand tools!

I will absolutely agree with this 1000%!!!!! Both the Powermatic, and me grinning ear to ear about it, and the neander aspect of this side of woodworking... It's an indescribable fusion between hand tools and machinery... Nearly a magical and perfect blend of both... there is absolutely nothing like it!

Peter Lamb
03-09-2011, 7:14 AM
If you think at least for now your interests don't exceed 12" the Delta 46-460 can do a lot for the price. Had one pver a year and love it. Great lathe to learn on.
Peter

Russell Eaton
03-09-2011, 7:15 AM
I have the 1014 vs and the new Delta. The 1014 has 1/2 hp motor, the Delta has 1 hp motor. That is a HUGE difference. I find myself using both at times but 90% if the time I am on team Delta Force. Just the ability to sand in reverse is a incredible advantage. I am not sure what part of the country you live in but I saw a great deal on the Delta at the wood show.

John Keeton
03-09-2011, 7:26 AM
Bruce, the difference in the cost of the Jet 1014 and the Delta 46-460 will be insignificant in three months. You will have spent WAY more than that on other associated toys, and will regret not getting the Delta in the end. It is a lot of lathe for the money. Plus, you can add the bed extension at some point if needed.

Do you yourself a huge favor and get the Delta. Double the power, additional 2" of swing, reverse and the electronic variable speed easily make up the $200 cost difference. The low end speed of 500 is going to be difficult for you on some projects, as well, and the Delta drops to 250 - big difference on a bowl blank.

You might want to talk with John Keeton.....he bought a lathe to turn furniture legs......then he sold that and bought a bigger lathe.....:DYep!!! That is how it started for me! I faintly recall building furniture, and that nice plane till (actually two of them) often get opened so I can recall fond memories of scary sharp boards and whispy shavings from a well honed plane!:)

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2011, 7:30 AM
Bruce - Welcome to the Creek!

Lots of good advice so far and I can only think of one thing to add... that would be to get with your local turning club. There are usually a couple of members that are upgrading and you may be able to pick up a good used lathe fairly cheap. Always worth a try - plus - the club members will be more than happy to help you learn how to turn!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing photos of your first lathe!

bob svoboda
03-09-2011, 9:17 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Bruce. Can't add to the good advice you've received. Keep us posted as to your progress into the vortex.

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Welcome to SMC. You've gotten lots of good advice and would agree with Steve about finding a turning club. Lots of good info and help.

Tony De Masi
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Bruce, Welcome to the Creek. Another addict in the making for certain.

Bill Bolen
03-09-2011, 12:31 PM
You are starting the same as I did! I wanted a mallett and ended up selling on line to boot. Now thousands of dollars later I find myself deep in the vortex and no desire to get out! Have fun with the addiction and welcome to the spinny part of the creek...Bill...

Bruce Mikeworth
03-09-2011, 1:49 PM
Gentlemen-
Thanks so much for all the "good advice". So, now I'm going to be looking at the Delta 46-460, checking e-bay & craigslist (but not for too long), and also hooking up with a turners' club which shouldn't be too hard to find in my area. I can't thank you all enough for both the sound advice and the kind encouragement. My only concern is that I may become so engrossed in the the lathe work that I won't have enough time to saw, chisel and plane. Might be looking to finance a bigger lathe with the proceeds from selling everything else ;). Yes, in seems to be a "vortex".

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
03-09-2011, 2:01 PM
Bruce,

Turning IMHO is the closest thing to instant gratification in the woodworking world. You can start and end a project in a couple hours.....or days....or in some case months while waiting for wood to dry.

I was gifted with a Jet VS1014 some years ago by the idiot turners here. I didn't turn and made the mistake of stumbing down into the Turners Forum and trading jabs with them. A group of them took up a collection and had a lathe, tools, videos and even woodblanks shipped to me.

In the process of finishing my new shop....the lights didn't get mounted on the ceiling for 2 years....my turning bench became named "The Diving Board" as it was a 2"x12" sitting across 2 halves of a Little Giant Ladder. I turned by a set of construction lights on a stand. 2 years later and 3-4 thousand dollars out of my own pocket, I finally stopped turning and finished the shop's interior. I am still working on cabinets.

I have since upgraded to a PM3520B lathe and gifted the other lathe to another young budding turner.

It is an addicitive hobby.

It's good advice to try to find a club. The nearest club to me is 110 miles away and driving in the winter can be treacherous.

The lathe really is the most important and least expense involved. It's the accessories that will get to you but you can buy those as you need them. Don't overlook getting a sharpening system of some type. Turning with dull tools is the pits! It takes the fun out of it. Most turners use a 8" grinder and a Wolverine grinding jig or similar system.

Good luck and enjoy!

Bruce Mikeworth
03-10-2011, 7:10 PM
Ken -

You and the rest of the gentlemen are scaring me! I'm not sure the LOML will be able to indulge me with another obsession even though she is certainly among the most tolerant. Already there is a spot in the garage all picked out. My small basement handtool shop is packed. I've located a turners' club about 40 miles away (not too bad) that seems to be pretty active and fortunately is having a "show & tell" event in a couple of weeks. In the meantime - you all have convinced me that a midi is more suitable than the mini and that the Delta is well worth taking a look at. The Jet comes with a 3 yr warranty - don't know about the Delta? In any event, I want to take an "up close and personal" look at both. Hopefully, the chips and dust will be flying in the garage soon. "I can hear the train a-com'n". Thanks once again for all your help.

Bruce

Charles McKinley
03-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the Creek. Now give all Credit cards and debit cards to SWMBO and tell her not to give them back no matter haow much you beg and how bad the shakes get. ;) Going from the dark side to the bottomless vortex I fear there is no hope for you. Enjoy the ride you have recieved good guidance.

Looking forward to the pics of a really expensive mallet. :D

Chip Sutherland
03-14-2011, 1:06 PM
Steve comments are spot on. You didn't put your location but I'm sure there are guys/gals willing to teach you. Like this forum, we are a social people. There may be a local store that offers classes (I went to a local Woodcraft). Be wary of some things on YouTube. You can only learn by doing and making mistakes. We prefer you only make safe mistakes. Welcome to the vortex....which you will figure out what this means in due time. You'll start looking at trees in a 'new' way in no time.