PDA

View Full Version : Walnut & Brass Bowl

Scott Lux
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
A little bowl that's taken me forever. It was full of voids which I filled with key shavings and CA. It's 3" across, 2 1/4" high. many coats of wipe on poly.

I'm posting it here for critiques. I (mostly) like the shape, and my wife likes it. But I'd like better judges to let me know what should be narrower, taller, shorter, thicker, where I missed sanding marks, etc.

Lux

Roger Chandler
03-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Great work, Scott! As far as form............I would like to see this one with a narrower "waist" tapered down and a smaller circumference foot that is a little shorter in height...........I think that would make this almost perfect. It is a great turning with nice finish and I like the brass shavings as well. Good stuff for sure!

Form is so subjective, and each one has their own preferences............that is just my thinking on this form.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Really nice job especially with the brass filings. I have to agree with Roger and a taper down with a smaller foot. Again just me.

Tim Thiebaut
03-09-2011, 12:46 AM
That is a great looking piece of walnut, it works very well with the brass shavings, it is a great looking contrast!

Rick Markham
03-09-2011, 3:53 AM
Scott, I want to say I love the wood, and I really like the embellishment with the brass shavings. You also did a fantastic job on the inside, and I personally can't pick out a sanding mark.

Form is very subjective and a very personal thing. I agree with the others the foot should be shorter and smaller. You should be very happy with your piece, that's the most important part!

Now this is my opinion only: smaller & shorter foot, I also think the foot angling in as it does causes an abrupt curve at the bottom of your main form, one that doesn't flow with the rest of the piece, if you made the bottom of the foot smaller in diameter than the top (where the foot meets the bowl, angling out instead of in) then you will have a more graceful flow to the form, it will accentuate your focal point (the bowl itself). Now if you change that aspect of the form, you also have to tweak the bowl's form a bit... I'd move the widest portion of the bowl slightly down the form (about the top 1/3rd) I think a small move like that will increase the visual appeal substantially, it will also help transition the outward bottom curve into the inward sweep of the top.

That being said, I think you did an excellent job, and it is definitely a piece you should be proud of. Your thinness and the inside curve of the bowl is well matched to the outside (something I struggle with on shapes like yours). I say explore this form some more and refine it too your liking. From your pictures you did an excellent job of finishing the piece, and took great care in the details. I look forward to seeing your next piece! Great job Scott!

John Keeton
03-09-2011, 7:05 AM
Scott, great finish, and the brass filings add a very nice touch. I agree with the others, and Rick's comments are more specific. A large foot like this rarely works on a piece unless it is an elevated platter form with some mass to it. In addition to what Rick has said, I would add that there appears to be a flat area on the side that could be relieved, providing a more consistent curve.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2011, 9:18 AM
Scott - first off - this is a very pretty little bowl! Great color and your use of the key shavings really adds dimension to the piece!

Form is always a matter of personal opinion - and with that in mind, I highlighted a few areas for consideration on your next one.

Scott Lux
03-09-2011, 1:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. John, I hadn't even noticed a flat until you pointed it out. Now I can't see anything else :p. And Steve, the diagram is very helpful.

Smaller foot, narrower waist seems to be the consensus. I seem to like bowls with an overhanging lip, so I'm likely to continue along these lines. But I wanted this kind of feedback to make sure the next one is better.

Darren Jamieson
03-09-2011, 1:57 PM
Good looking peice Scott, I think the finish really brings out the wood. The only thing I would change is the foot(sorry) but if it was me I would end it right at the narrowest piont and then I think the shape is perfect. Yes there could be a flat spot but if the peice was shorter or lower to the table you wouldn't notice it as much. JMO, great Job!!

Rick Markham
03-09-2011, 2:52 PM
Scott, the flat spots are hard to see sometimes when a piece is on the lathe, I generally study the profile when turning the outside (the wall is painted a dark color behind my lathe) sometimes a flat spot isn't revealed until the initial sanding is done with the coarsest grit (or created if you linger in one place too long with the paper.) Don't be afraid to do some final touches with the gouge and then sand again. I personally can "feel" flat spots that are harder to see. I think you've got a good thing going so far, I think a quick study of some folks' Calabash style bowls will get you where you want to be with the next one, very similar form, minus the foot!