PDA

View Full Version : Spindle coverage in Richard Raffan's Turning DVD??

Rick Cicciarelli
03-08-2011, 8:04 PM
I read some good reviews of Richard Raffan's Turning DVD and I like his book. I am interest both in spindles and bowls but mainly spindles at the moment. Looking for something that would be good coverage for both, but I definitely want something that goes into using the skew/gouge for some of the decorative details (birdbeaks/fillets,etc.) and goes beyond the basic beads and coves (though I still need a lot of work with just this). I have watched several youtube videos and was just thinking it might be nice to have some higher quality video and it is helpful to see how someone approaches the wood with the tools, angles etc. I was wondering if this would be a good video that would cover what I am looking for?

Joshua Dinerstein
03-08-2011, 9:04 PM
Richard Raffan's videos are really good. Much like his books. I find them to be extremely informative. He works fast and this is obvious. But he is also clear and his humor carries well on camera. Also her very clearly has a love for the skew and it seems to me to be his favorite tool.

As a point of interest I found several of his DVDs at my local library. I watched them and found I couldn't soak it in all at once. So I went out and bought copies of my own. I really do recommend.

I have found others DVDs to be very good as well. Both of Bill Grumbines are excellent on bowl turning. Alan Lacers Skew DVDs are both excellent. One is on how to use the Skew and the other is kind of projects made using the skew.

Check your local library for his DVDs. Also Craft Supplies USA have short previews of his DVDs up on Youtube. Only a few minutes long but show the quality of the DVD.

Joshua

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Another one I liked for spindle work was the Alan Lacer's first DVD. Really a good one.

Jake Helmboldt
03-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Rick, I don't know if Raffan's video has the details you want, but Joshua summed it up pretty well. Personally I think Raffan's Turning Wood video is a great all-around video since he covers faceplate and spindle turning as well as end-grain work. Like Josh I pull it out now and then to look at some details and hone my skills. It is advanced enough to be useful in that regard, but not as detailed as something like Lacer's skew-specific videos.

Jeff Fagen
03-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Our club has a large video selection and the Richard Raffans are my favorites.
I am currently watching "Turning Boxes" and "The new Turning Wood " DVD's.
If I were to buy any these would be it.

Mark Hubl
03-09-2011, 2:58 AM
I would second Raffan and Lacer for spindle lessons. If you want to read a bit, as opposed to DVD I recommend this:http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15460/15460-h/15460-h.htm

This is an old manual arts text that has lots of good spindle teaching and projects. I reference it often and now even keep it on the phone.

John Keeton
03-09-2011, 7:37 AM
Well, I will go against the flow here. Raffan is a master, and I love his book. However, in the videos I have watched, he goes too fast for a beginning turner. His level of accomplishment with the skew is mesmerizing, but Lacer does a much better job of "instructing" IMO.

That is not to say that I did not enjoy the videos - they are great, but it will take you several times watching them to absorb what is there. The curve might be less steep with Lacers.

Quinn McCarthy
03-09-2011, 9:18 AM
Ernie Conover has a great video with a lot of spindle turning in it. It is called turning for furniture. I see they now released it on DVD. I think it was a great video.

Hope that helps

Quinn

Michael Mills
03-09-2011, 9:31 AM
This may not be worth anything but here are my reviews of some videos I have watched.
Bowls – Same four basic cuts, maybe with a different name. Each has their own way which may be completely opposite (as in rounding the blank for Lyle and Bill).
Lyle Jamieson – Bowl Basics, The Easy Way - To me the best, only turns one green bowl in 2 hours, lots of clear, detailed explanation.
Bill Grumbine – Turned Bowls Made Easy - Excellent also but not as much detailed explanation.
Dennis White – Bowl Turning - - Very good close ups of the tools at work. Narrated and rather tedious, not much audio explanation but very good if you can "watch and learn".
Spindle
Dave Hout – Introduction to Spindle Turning - I added this to an order that I needed to spend a couple of more bucks on to get free shipping. Very good for $$. Different hypothesis on lathe and tool rest height, bevel angle and other topics. VHS from a Hartville "workshop". Currently $5.95 on sale from Hartville Tool
Dennis White – Turning Between Centers - Very good close ups of beads, coves, fillets, etc. Narrated and rather tedious without a lot of explanation. Again, good if you can "watch and learn".
Skew
Alan Lacer – The Sweet Side the Dark Side - The best to me for this specific tool.
General - Spindle & Faceplate
Richard Raffan – Turning Wood – The best general but lightning fast so make sure you get the DVD (not VHS) so you can play it at Ό speed when need be. Second between-centers project (Pull Knob) cuts a concave with a skew – beyond most new turners I think. A flat is bad enough for me. Third between-centers project (scoop) turns the hollow of the scoop inside/outside & upside down, definitely advanced.

Always something new to learn but maybe not worth the $$ unless you resell to purchase more when your lesson is learned (or if they are one of the first you have seen and all info is new).
Jimmy Clewes – Back to Basics
Joe Ruminski – Beginning Spindles to Bowls
Del Stubbs – Bowl Turning with…

I have watched more by the same and other turners but after their initial video MOST seem to be just projects with little new technique information.

Brian Libby
03-09-2011, 8:12 PM
I agree with John, Raffan's videos are not really instructional, they are very fast paced with few details.
He is a great turner- I have his DVD "Turning Wood" but not a lot a beginner can grasp easily.
I have 2 Alan Lacer videos and they are very good.

Harry Robinette
03-09-2011, 9:17 PM
If the skew is what you want get Allan Batty's Mastersclass The Definitive Work On The Skew Chisel. I have Alan Lacer's dvd's 2 of them.and I learned a little from them,but Allan Batty's dvd is one of the best instructional dvd's I've ever watched. I own about 25 or 30 dvds almost all on turning and for learning I think it's the best.In England he is known as the Father of the Skew. Check it out I believe I got it from Craft Supply's.