PDA

View Full Version : Last one's for a bit

Jim Burr
03-08-2011, 7:45 PM
Ok folks..I have a couple in DNA, but this is all I could manage to pull off that I can publish. Potpouri pot out of some kind of maple..black, red and orange, Tung oil on the bottom...it just seemed fun.
Next is Olive...center grain right thru the middle. Not sure I'll ever do that again!! But I got a kick out of my D-way beading tools (standard disclaimer...I don't sell...just use). They are tons of fun and the cool part was I did no sanding or finish on the outside...and mild sanding on the inside. This one was tough, splits and knots...18% moisture so I used a 1-5/8" Forstner bit to core it and tiny cuts with the Monster. Tons of experience with the beading stuff...lot's of little things to look for. It really is an experiment in beading and there is a long way to go! Also used it on the pot around the mouth. I still use it unhandled...but that will change soon...my hand gets tired!! Hope you folks like 'em and see ya when I get back!;):D

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2011, 7:49 PM
Really nice looking pieces Jim. I really like the potpourri pot.

David E Keller
03-08-2011, 7:50 PM
Nice work, Jim. I really like the olive pieces with the beading... Very rustic and yet refined. Best wishes on the pending procedure and prayers for a speedy, uneventful recovery.

Curt Fuller
03-08-2011, 8:10 PM
Nice work Jim. I'm crossing my fingers for you. Like David said, I'm hoping all goes just like it's supposed to.

Paul Douglass
03-08-2011, 8:14 PM
Nice turning. I really have been eying those beading tools. I just can not decide what sizes would be best if I can only have two.

Jim Burr
03-08-2011, 8:40 PM
Hey Paul!! I'm glad to see you around! I bought the 3/16th and 1/8th. Some others here bougth the same as well if I remember correctly. I'm thinking of the other end of the spectrum..1/4 and 1/16th. They do take some practice, but a great result is fun!

Marc Himes
03-08-2011, 8:41 PM
Both are very nice. I like the rim on the potpourri bowl as well as the coloring. I have a beading tool but haven't used it yet. I think that will change soon after seeing your work.

Marc Himes

Harry Robinette
03-08-2011, 8:42 PM
Jim
Nice pieces,Really like the first one.

John Keeton
03-08-2011, 8:50 PM
Good stuff, Jim!!! Hang in there, and know that your fellow creekers are praying for ya'!!! Touch base with us as soon as you can and let us know how you are doing.

Steve Schlumpf
03-09-2011, 9:24 AM
Very nice work Jim! The color is great but I really am drawn to the rustic look of the Olive! Seriously, nice work!

Hope all goes well with your surgery! Thoughts and prayers sent!

steven carter
03-09-2011, 9:54 AM
Hey Jim, I like them both, good job on the beading. I join the others in sending prayers and best wishes! I look forward to hearing about your quick recovery.

bob svoboda
03-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Nice work Jim. Especially like the potpourri with the detail around the rim. Best wishes for a speedy recovery-keep us posted.

Michael James
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Nice JIm. Try to be a good patient and follow your Dr's orders! haha
I'm rounding up that reading material to shoot out west! Speediest of recoveries,
Michael