PDA

View Full Version : What is "best" Chinese laser?

Allen Scott
03-08-2011, 7:42 PM
I have an old Epilog that is finally on its last leg. Still cant believe this thing has lasted over 15 years on its original tube and bearings. For what I do, it actually still works, but the quality is missing a little and theres always fear it will just die on me one day.

I use it 95% for the thing plastic engraving stock for trophies. The other time I may do the occasional plaque or name badge/sign.

Because of what I do, really all I need is something around 25-30 watts. Id really perfer something that is 24x12 because that is the size of my engraving material. Dont need anything that is super high detailed to do photographs (although that would be a plus because I am an amateur photographer), but I would like it to have good detail on small text for engraving plates.

That all being said, Im leaning towards a VLS 3.50, but even those can quickly add up. See people talking about Chinese lasers all the time, and honestly never thought twice about going that route. But now that its time to put my money where my mouth is, Im giving it another thought...

Are there any chinese laser companies out there any good? any of these machines going to last more than a year? Iv always heard they have glass tubes and they go out in no time. I dont expect 16 years out of a tube like I am currently getting, but I would like a few years at least.

Love some input, thanks

Dan Hintz
03-08-2011, 7:54 PM
While build quality has improved dramatically over the last handful of years, there are two problems that still plague the Chinese machines: poor quality control on the glass tubes and poor design/driver software. With the larger machines, the driver/design software is often a bit better, but it still needs serious work to make them as easy to use as the higher-priced machines (the Chinglish translations of the manuals doesn't help, either). Ideally, you want a system that allows you to work directly from a good program, like CorelDRAW or Illustrator, not one that requires you to use files translated into their format. Check out APLazer, a sponsor of this forum... our illustrious leader Keith has one, so see if they have a smaller system that fits your budget and will also work with CorelDRAW.

Allen Scott
03-08-2011, 7:55 PM
yes, thanks for reminding me. It must be capable of using Corel Draw as I have been using it since early 90s

Allen Scott
03-08-2011, 8:00 PM
looked at their website briefly and it appears they do not make any "desktop" options. Id really perfer something smaller.

Rodne Gold
03-08-2011, 9:37 PM
Dunno if these are the best , but here's some info
It will cost you about $2500 ($2200 + $300 spares if you want spares) for a decent chinese made glass tubed laser that works directly off coreldraw - 50/60w . 40cm x 60cm .. comes from these people http://www.shenhuilaser.com.cn and its the SH-G460-50W
Desktop model is the sh-g350 - 20" x 12" - $1700 (smaller than your size you want tho)
Tube life is approx 800/1000 hrs and replacement cost circa $150. Eg of spares prices - stepper motor $30 , mirrors $22 , lenses $30, Belt $30 , tube $150, bearings $6 , mirror holders $22 . if you are conservative about tube life and operate for lets say 4 hours a day and the tube life is 800 hrs , you can work for a full year (if you don't work weekends) on one tube - if it ONLY lasts the minimum. Guarantees on tubes , lenses and mirrors is 3 months , machine etc - 1 yr.
I have checked out the software - its chingrish , but very configureable and understandable and works straight off Corel. Build quality is great for the price.
That's the Co I'm buying my 2 from and they have great support , instant response to emails , tech questions , skype support in engrish too...
There are one or 2 issues in that the beam quality is not as good as much more expensive sources , but is perfectly adequate for 99% of all jobs , you have to be a little technical in that you need to know how to use a screwdriver etc for adjusting beams , they are not as fast as the latest crop of superduper speed lasers.
I would suggest you get one , if you want one , while your exisisting laser is still going , run em in parralell and learn the new lasers foibles and double your production for little money. If the Chinese laser works out well , you can buy more/bigger , if it doesn't , you haven't lost the farm.
Ps they have a 40w model , 10" x 12" for the princely sum of $550 , its slower to engrave and wont cut thick stuff and isnt as sophisticated as their bigger models software/control wise , more a hobbyist machine than anything else but it sure is inexpensive.

Peter Odell
03-08-2011, 9:47 PM
I bought a turnkey laser and it is easy to use I have the 80watt so far no probs. and I do everything with corel draw. I herd all the probs about the chinese lasers but I haven't ran in to them yet and I use mine everyday about 6 hours 7 days a week. There is even a few supports forums just for the people that own the chinese lasers

Mike Null
03-09-2011, 5:04 AM
Jay

Your post was an ad and you didn't identify yourself as a representative of that company.

We do not permit links to ebay.

Allen Scott
03-09-2011, 9:03 AM
are all these chinese lasers water cooled?

Rodne Gold
03-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Yes , most include the "chiller" , however there are different grades of chillers, I have opted to go for the best they can supply , its $350 extra if you substitute for stock. Stock is supposedly ok for the 50/60w tubes , but correct cooling is vital for these glass tubes. The lasers I ordered will not fire the laser if the coolant flow sensor doesn't detect flow.

Anthony Scira
03-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Just out of curiosity why do you not just replace the worn parts of the Epilog, or do they not stock parts ? I guess 15 years the inventory of replacement parts may be low. And if it lasted 15 years I think I know what I would buy..........

Mike Null
03-09-2011, 1:33 PM
I'm with Anthony. I suspect most of your problem is bearings and belts. For sure those can be replaced--they weren't mfr'd by Epilog.