PDA

View Full Version : First time dovetailing.

keith micinski
03-08-2011, 6:29 PM
Well other then some test cuts 6 months ago I hadn't used my Incra super system for dovetails yet so I thought I would try it out today. It took me a little while to remember things and I had to do a lot of reading through the manual again but they turned out really nice. I wish I wouldn't have used this junk wood from Lowe's but I figured there would be a learning curve and I didn't want to waste any of my good wood. Oh well the drawers are just for a little night stand for my wife anyway. I still think if I was dovetailing a lot then a regular dovetail jig would be the way to go.

keith micinski
03-10-2011, 5:58 PM
Glueing up dovetails sucks. I started getting nervous I was taking to long and my glue was going to set up. Do you have to use clamps? I put them on but to be honest with you once the dovetails were seated the clamp didn't really do anything.

Neil Brooks
03-10-2011, 6:02 PM
I hope you can take a bit of constructive criticism.

They ... um ... look perfect.

Bill Huber
03-11-2011, 1:21 AM
They look good to me....

I have not done a lot of dovetails but I still use clamps when I glue them up.

What jig did you use to make them?

keith micinski
03-11-2011, 1:44 AM
I actually bought a used Incra super system with wonder fence and this is the first time I have tried it out for dovetails. There were a couple of lesser joints in the bunch but that had to do with the crappy warped wood I used. I never thought they would turn out good and was really doing testing but they turned out good enough to use for what it is.

Terry Beadle
03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Those dove tails are excellent. Working in pine is a real challenge as opposed to say poplar or cherry. They are really good and far better than any I've ever seen in antique furniture. The Incra jig is a handy thing to have. I use mine for box joints mainly and I've slid the slope on hand cut dove tails.

Be proud. You've earned it.

Randy Briggs
03-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Just be sure to put the bottom in the drawer before you put glue on your dovetails...DAMHIKT

Richard Coers
03-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I always set the joint with a clamp, just to squeeze out any excess glue. Then I take the clamp off and set the box on a flat surface to dry. For speed, I drop in the glue from the bottle, then wipe it around with an acid brush. A little dab will do you with glue since cleaning out inside the drawer can get tough.