PDA

View Full Version : I finished an interesting project

Mark Blumer
01-23-2005, 5:49 PM
Hi All,

A friend of mine is an antique collector who specializes in industrial clocks. He has on several occasions asked me to repair broken parts for his clock cases. This time he came to me with an interesting problem. He has a clock that is a long case, wall hanging master clock. He learned that originally it was convertible into a floor standing grandfather style clock if you bought the compatible base for the clock. He found a 90 year old photo of one on a base. He brought over the photo and the clock waist and set me loose on the project. It is solid quatersawn white oak with a 1/4" plywood back. The mouldings are an educated guess as the photo lacked any real definition and the front is a true frame and panel construct. It took me a couple of weeks but a portion of that time was just figuring out what the actual dimensions would have to be in three dimensions. Incidentally, he told me not to finish it so this is raw, finish sanded wood.

Thanks for looking,

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Alan Turner
01-23-2005, 5:57 PM
Nice work, and it is nice to be trusted with a matter of such imoportance by a friend.
Alan

Steve Ash
01-24-2005, 8:20 AM
Very nicely done Mark, I'm sure your friend will be extremely pleased.

Jeff Sudmeier
01-24-2005, 8:35 AM
Mark, Nice Job!

The base really fits the rest of the clock! If you get a pic of it all finished, when your friend is done, we would love to see it!