PDA

View Full Version : Triton router..which one to get?!

robert raess
03-08-2011, 4:28 PM
I am going to get one of the Triton plunge routers.I take my router in and out of the table.I rout profiles, dadoes, rabbets.I don't see me doing any or many raised panels.I'd like your feedback on the 2 1/4hp or 3 1/4 hp.Noise, weight, ease of handling outside of the table. Freehand work.Look forward to the reponse. thanks rob

Jim Eller
03-08-2011, 7:20 PM
robert,

I have one of each. The big one stays in the router table. The smaller one I use in the PM 66 extension table and for hand held work. I have never used the big one for hand held work. I bought it primarily for table work such as raised panels and the like. I like them both.

As for noise, weight and ease of handling outside the table, I don't find the 2 1/4 much different than my Bosch, Porter Cable or DeWalt. I do find that when I put the D-handle on the Bosch 1617 I like it the best for doing dovetails.

If you need a plunge, the current pricing is hard to beat for a router with a lot of features. That I like any way.

Sorry not much help.

Jim

James Brown
03-08-2011, 8:43 PM
I also have one of each. The smaller one came with guide bushings, but the larger one did not (though it did come with an edge guide, which I can't comment on since the router went straight into the table). The larger one is, in my opinion, too heavy to use freehanded comfortably ... your mileage may vary. My recommendation would be that if you're going to have one router, the 2 1/4 is the way to go. It also appears to me that the fine adjustment works more smoothly in the table with the smaller router (they both work more effectively in the table if you remove the spring).

scott spencer
03-08-2011, 8:51 PM
The 2-1/4 hp should be a lot easier to handle for hand routing, and will still be powerful enough for occasional raised panels. I suspect you'd find the big 15 amp router a little heavy to handle for free hand.

Clint Olver
03-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I have both, and the 2 1/4hp is much easier to use by hand for a long period of time. The 3 1/2 is something like 14lbs, it might not sound like a lot, but it makes a difference. From your description, I'd go with the 2 1/4hp.