PDA

View Full Version : Delta planer 22-580 speed change

Ian Fisher
03-08-2011, 2:19 PM
Can anyone help me troubleshoot a Delta planer 22-580, it's supposed to be a two speed planer, only the normal speed works. I don't even see the speed selector switch on Delta's part list. Any input would be appreciated.

Mike Circo
03-08-2011, 3:23 PM
The speed is only supposed to be changed while the planer is running. Is that what you are attempting???

Ian Fisher
03-08-2011, 4:36 PM
yes it is Mike, thanks for replying

scott spencer
03-08-2011, 5:15 PM
That switch is remarkably stiff....you might need to apply considerably more pressure than you'd think.

Alan Schaffter
03-08-2011, 5:44 PM
First attempt to change speeds again, this time make sure the lever is firmly and fully pushed to one speed position or the other.

Is it used? Did you or the previous owner attempt to change speeds when the planer was not running or when planing a board? Change speeds when running always, but not while planing a board. Also, if you don't move the lever firmly and positively to ensure it is fully engaged in the fast (or slow speed) position it may not engage. Are you using dust collection? Take the side panel off and make sure there is no dust in the speed changing gears. Not properly changing gears can damage the pinion drive gear and prevent speed changes. While it doesn't have the same gear box, the same thing can happen to the Delta 15" DC380.

Rick Gibson
03-08-2011, 7:33 PM
Mine works but I have to use channel lock pliers to get enough grip and torque on the speed changing lever. Every time I do it I expect it to break.

Ian Fisher
03-08-2011, 9:35 PM
Ok Alan, your making me work, I took the side panel off, and yes I'm using dust collection, there was a little bit of stuff inside where the drive chain is but not much. What I observed is the motor speed sounds like the same speed with the switch in either position ( I did not measure it) but the chain drives stop when in the slower position. Any further ideas I can look into? And thanks for replying I do appreciate the help.

Ian Fisher
03-08-2011, 9:36 PM
Ok Rick now your scaring me! I'll letyou know

Alan Schaffter
03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Ok Alan, your making me work, I took the side panel off, and yes I'm using dust collection, there was a little bit of stuff inside where the drive chain is but not much. What I observed is the motor speed sounds like the same speed with the switch in either position ( I did not measure it) but the chain drives stop when in the slower position. Any further ideas I can look into? And thanks for replying I do appreciate the help.

The motor doesn't change speeds (it is designed that way, otherwise the cutter head would change speeds!). It uses a manual gear shift transmission to change the feed roller speed. Either the gears are not meshing in the slow speed because the pinion (driving gear) isn't moving or the driven gear is stripped.

Curt Harms
03-09-2011, 8:33 AM
Mine works but I have to use channel lock pliers to get enough grip and torque on the speed changing lever. Every time I do it I expect it to break.

Mine was like Rick's, hard to move and hard to exert much force on the paddle due to its position. I took the blue paddle off and there's a hex shaft that the paddle fits onto. I just used a socket on the hex shaft the few times I switched speeds. I didn't see much difference in finish quality so left mine on high feed rate 99% of the time.

Alan Schaffter
03-09-2011, 9:50 AM
I've never broken down a 22-580, so I may be wrong, but as I mentioned above, even if it still changes speeds, the pinion gear may be buggered. I bought a used 15" Delta DC 380 which, like all the clones, has a lever you push in and pull out to change speeds. It took quite a bit of effort to do so when I got it. Eventually the lever wouldn't move far enough at all to change speeds. I disassemble the gearbox to install a Shelix and found the reason for the gear changing problem immediately- the small pinion gear that moves between two larger gears when you push/pull the gear shift lever, was buggered really badly and would rarely if at all mesh with the bigger gears. The big gears had little damage, but the pinion was really mangled. I suspect something similar happens with the 22-580.

Mike Goetzke
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I know it's supposed to be a two speed but worse case I really didn't notice a difference in the amount of sanding with the higher or lower CPI.

Mike

Josiah Bartlett
03-09-2011, 4:12 PM
I've actually had to take mine apart and clean out the shifter mechanism to get it to shift. It's a bit complicated, but it's mostly made of metal so it is also pretty strong. There are a couple of rack and pinion gears in the shift mechanism that are only used for the shifter, not the actual rotating drive mechanism. If the teeth on those gears get full of dust, they bind up and the thing won't shift, even when its running. To fix it, I had to remove the motor cover and the side covers, take apart the chain and reduction gear drive to the rollers, then pull the shifter mechanism out and clean it and re-grease the gears and chain. It works good as new and shifts easily now.

I think its pretty unlikely that the gears are stripped, it is more likely that your shifter mechanism is jammed up.