PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try QR codes on stainless with Cermark?

Richard Rumancik
03-08-2011, 1:09 PM
I have a request for stainless steel plates with black QR codes. I plan to use Cermark. I did a search and did not see anything regarding this combination. Has anybody tried Cermark on stainless for barcodes? It would probably be brushed stainless. The codes would be about 2.5" x 2.5".

Dan Hintz
03-08-2011, 1:27 PM
Works for me (sorry, no pics)...

Mike Null
03-08-2011, 2:00 PM
Haven't done that but have done some pretty highly detailed stuff with Cermark including a lot of 7 point type.

I would take the job with no reservations.

The picture below-not too good- shows some pretty detailed use of Cermark on this scroll. I was just experimenting with it as you can see with the portions above one black the other 50% black.

greg lindsey
03-08-2011, 4:01 PM
I have had problem with barcodes on stainless, I had to go to a matte finish tag in order to read it with the reader. I have a friend that owns a very large tag company, they do thousands of tags daily using fiber mark and cermark he told me he has the same problems, he sent me some of the matte finish ones and they worked fine. Maybe others can chime in here, I know I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

Bill Cunningham
03-08-2011, 10:33 PM
QR codes just have to be photographed with a camera don't they? I plan to put a decent sized one on the tailgate of my new truck this spring along with the usual advertising so the folks with the smart phones (mine is still dumb..no, make that downright stupid), can record my website and info on the fly.

Dan Hintz
03-09-2011, 6:30 AM
QR codes just have to be photographed with a camera don't they?
No, they make laser scanners for them, too...

Richard Rumancik
03-09-2011, 11:30 AM
I have had problem with barcodes on stainless, I had to go to a matte finish tag in order to read it with the reader. I have a friend that owns a very large tag company, they do thousands of tags daily using fiber mark and cermark he told me he has the same problems, he sent me some of the matte finish ones and they worked fine. Maybe others can chime in here, I know I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

Thanks for that information, Greg - this is what I was looking for. I have done lots of Cermark, but didn't know how well it would photograph with the smartphones. I think I will make a sample and let them test it out. When you say matte finish, do you mean like a brushed material? Or is it more like sandblasted?

Mike Null
03-09-2011, 1:29 PM
Richard
The tags I use are from McMaster Carr and have a mill finish. They are 1x3". I can send a couple if you like.

Joseph Tovar
03-10-2011, 5:12 AM
Hi Richard,

I haven't tried it on stell with Cermark, but I have tried it with anodized aluminum and I couldn't get it to work with my phone(blackberry). I know the QR code is good because I can print it on paper and scan it, and I can also scan it on the monitor. I'm not sure what make a QR code "work", but I just couldn't get it to work on the aluminum business cards I purchased from IDPlates. I'm taking my sample with me to ISS and going to have some others test it out with their phones.

greg lindsey
03-11-2011, 1:44 AM
Sorry Richard, my internet has been out for a couple of days. Thanks AT&T.
The tags have a dull finish to them, matted, not brushed. I really don't know how they are listed, name wise. Like I said I get them from a friend, I just tell him I need some more of those matte finished ones. LOL.

Mike, I am interested in the ones you get from McMaster, do you have a item number for them, I'd like to order some for trial.

paul mott
03-11-2011, 4:07 AM
There are some examples on the Epilog site.

Paul.

Mike Null
03-11-2011, 5:33 AM
Greg

The item number is 1632T28 and they are slightly under $1 each in packs of 10. I've used a lot of them without any problems. I do clean them with dna before I spray with Cermark but they're pretty clean out of the package.

Dan Hintz
03-11-2011, 6:48 AM
Wow, their anodized tags are expensive! $8.10 for a pack of 5 tags.

Mike Null
03-11-2011, 7:23 AM
Dan
Buy anodized tags from Frank at Chewbarka. 1x3's are less than 50 cents.

Dan Hintz
03-11-2011, 8:21 AM
Yeah, Chewbarka is the definition I use as to whether or not anything anodized is (in)expensive. But really, $8 for 5?! That's just crazy.

greg lindsey
03-11-2011, 9:47 AM
Greg

The item number is 1632T28 and they are slightly under $1 each in packs of 10. I've used a lot of them without any problems. I do clean them with dna before I spray with Cermark but they're pretty clean out of the package.

Thanks Mike.

Richard Rumancik
03-12-2011, 3:07 PM
Thanks to all who responded. If I go with the stainless I will try to get some matte material as it seems more likely to work.

I am not sure if I agree with what my customer wants to do, but before I raise the issue I need to be sure I have an alternative.

In our city there is a park with a "Citizens Hall of Fame" consisting of 35 bronze busts and corresponding bronze plaques. What they want to do is add a 3" x 3" plate to each bronze plaque with the QR code on it. The QR code will like to the inductee's biography on the Hall of Fame website. They will have the bronze plaques sandblasted to make a slight recess for the 3" x 3" plates.

I am wondering if there are alternatives to use of stainless/Cermark that I might suggest. I don't know if I would normally put stainless beside Bronze myself. Maybe it will look okay. But I would like to know if anyone has any other alternatives that come to mind. The plates are outside so must be able to withstand the weather.

Randy Uveges
03-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi Richard. Sorry for the delay in responding. I just became a member and I'm looking back to see where I can help. You can mark on stainless using a precoated steel available in the market or sometimes even by marking directly to the steel. The second way may not give you enough contrast to effectively scan the code though. Cermark is a little harder to use because the coating thickness can vary on you. After all what is happening there is that you are melting the ceramic component in the coating to the steel and it has a tendency to spread, so the thickness matters. Usually you under-size your art to accommodate this. To scan the code you would need QR software in your smart phone or other scanner.

Dan Hintz
03-14-2011, 2:40 PM
You can mark on stainless using a precoated steel available in the market or sometimes even by marking directly to the steel.
Randy,

What is this pre-coated SS you mention coated with? I've never heard of anything like it...

Without a marking material like Cermark, marking directly on steel requires one of three things:
1) a YAG/fiber laser
2) a high-density focusing optic setup, such as the HPDFO on ULS systems, that will give you a 1 mil focal point. This will be really slow, even compared to using Cermark, using the standard 45-60W systems often seen here.
3) A couple hundred Watts of power, at least

Randy Uveges
03-14-2011, 3:10 PM
You can get sheets of steel precoated for use with a CO2 laser from Horizons or you can get precut blanks from Camcode. It is the same concept as Cermark except that the coating is put on by machine and is bound to the sheet. All you do is mark and then wash in warm water. The consistency of the coating weight makes the marking better and it is faster and cleaner than coating your own. You are however limited to .024" thickness. We used 100% power and 25 % speed on a 35 watt Versalaser.